cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router/Modem -

N/A

Router/Modem -

I'm trying to sort out my sister's ADSL issue whilst she is away. She changed to PN, following my referral, from AOL and kept the existing BTVoyager 105 USB Modem. She now finds difficulty logging on in that error messages such as "line is busy" or similar pop up. I've heard this modem may have difficulty with the increased speeds now available. Can this be the cause of the problems?
Thanks
10 REPLIES
lingbob
Grafter

Router/Modem -

The BT Voyager 105 supports speeds up to 8Mbps so, if she's on MaxDSL, that shouldn't be a problem. However, if she's been LLU'd, that could be a problem because of the up to 24Mbps speeds.
N/A

Router/Modem -

LLU is currently only up to 8Mb but can eventually become up to 24Mb.

If the modem can cope with up to 8Mb then it shouldn't matter if MaxDSL or LLU, just means that it won't be able to connect any higher.
lingbob
Grafter

Router/Modem -

Ooooooooops, sorry Shockedops:
N/A

Router/Modem -

Thanks for that - I'm pretty sure we're not on LLU - at least we haven't been told we are.
I'll have to determine why we keep getting "line is busy" another way.
Thanks once again.
bluewhale
Grafter

Router/Modem -

have you been through the fault checker?

i would recommend it as it takes a while to trundle through plusnet world

i'd also try and get the line stats when connected and see if you have a 'fuzzy' line

also don't assume you'll be told you're on LLU, doesn't always happen

you might want to ask plusnet...
Njal
Grafter

Router/Modem -

The BT Voyager 105 supports speeds up to 8Mbps

According to:

http://www.faster.bt.com/what-you-need.asp

The Voyager 105 is rated up to 4Mbps. For higher speeds a router is recommended.

Regards

Neil
Community Veteran

Router/Modem -

There are several of us here who run voyager 100 or 105 modems with good throughput, so I guess they are just trying to push peeps into buying a new shiny router in that link.
lingbob
Grafter

Router/Modem -

The BT Voyager 105 supports speeds up to 8Mbps

According to:

http://www.faster.bt.com/what-you-need.asp

The Voyager 105 is rated up to 4Mbps. For higher speeds a router is recommended.

So how come mine will sync as high as 8Mbps :?:
Njal
Grafter

Router/Modem -

So how come mine will sync as high as 8Mbps

I'm only quoting what BT say about it. My Voyager sits in a cupboard as an emergency back up, I'm still waiting (unfortunately) for a higher line speed than 2Mbps, so I have no direct experience of it's potential maximum speed.

The 105 has a good reputation as a USB modem though, I've heard it said that it will connect down a bit of damp string if the wind is in the right direction!

Regards,

Neil
Community Veteran

Router/Modem -

I've heard it said that it will connect down a bit of damp string if the wind is in the right direction!

:lol: Smiley