cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rough Weekend

N/A

Rough Weekend

Quick note to the Plus network support guys - you've all had a rough weekend of it and you have my sympathies. Anyone doing your job (I do a similar one) knows the pressure you've been under in the last few days.

Of course it's been inconvenient for the users and no doubt there are some frustrated punters out there, but the situation has been handled well and I have no complaint to make.

Well done, and top marks for the detailed and intelligent updates which, unlike those from so many service providers, included both a REASON and an APOLOGY.
4 REPLIES
N/A

Rough Weekend

I agree that it's been a rough weekend and some people did a great job and I thank them. Unfortunately not everyone did and the whole thing wasn't handled as well as it could have been.
A half-explanation and apologies are a start and I thank Stewart for his e-mail.
BUT..
Why did it take pushing by customers to have the disconnects investigated? Why were people given incorrect information (It's a BT thing, we'll escalate to a line-test, etc) for so long?
Why did it take so long to identify and admit the routing problem? Why was this misdiagnosed? Why was re-routing not performed until late on Sunday when it could have been performed on Saturday when the issues with Abovenet were identified?
Most importantly, we've (once again) had assurances that 'things' are being done to prevent these problems occurring. Will we, as customers, get a full report of what went wrong and why and what is being done to prevent such problems again?
JonathanW
Grafter

Rough Weekend

WIth regards to the problems over the weekend, there were several different things happening at once. This lead to some initial incorrect diagnostics of problems, a the on call networks staff were dealing with an internal issue when the routing problems started.

Initially the two were thought to be related, as it appeared that the problems were related to our DNS servers. This was then identified as an issue outside of our network, though it isn't possible for me to comment on the actions of the networks team.

As for the disconnections that some people were experiencing, as with anything of this nature the initial diagnostics have to be followed through. Especially as we weren't getting many reports into the call centre for the CSC agents to pick up on. Given that I was the only member of the comms team around at the time, this is the line that I followed. There was then either more information provided by the time that Dave came in, or he spotted something that I missed.
N/A

Rough Weekend

Thanks John. As you are unable to comment on the actions of the networks team, could somebody who is in a position to comment?
IMHO it was clear on Saturday evening that there was a routing problem within Abovnet, seperate to any PlusNet DNS issues (traceroutes, mtr runs and nslookup info was discussed by users on the forums and elsewhere). From an outsiders point of view, it didn't seem as if anyone was called in to investigate or reroute until late on Sunday, 24 hours after the problem could have been identified and steps put into place.
passer
Grafter

Rough Weekend

It's been a difficult weekend, followed by all this other nonsense this morning. I sympathise with those staff firefighting over the weekend, in the face of concentrated anger and unhappiness from the userbase. I've done that sort of graveyard shift myself many times, and it's no fun.

sietchtabr :
they're never really going to tell us what went on, especially if it reflects poorly on their own organisational inadequacies. It seems increasingly to be that within PlusNet - if I may quote - the lunatics are taking over the asylum! Chaos theory has a lot to answer for.

What we need today, to take everybody's mind off the distress of the last few days is something cheering like a Product Refresh announcement....