cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rolling annual contract

N/A

Rolling annual contract

I am trying to cancel my netstart business account. I put in my notice at the end of last month and have been told that my account comes to an end at the end of november. My account was initially taken out in november 2003, and while I agreed to the initial first year, I never signed up to anything that said there was an rolling year contract (and never would have).
Plus.net have still not shown me anything that said about this rolling year, and have said about the 30 days notice (which is what I have seen and seems fair).
Does anyone know where the terms of this rolling year contract is?
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Rolling annual contract

This is the only thing I am aware of.link
Also have a look at this thread
N/A

Rolling annual contract

Hi there ratsnest.

Welcome to the forums.

As a business customer of some years and having a reasonable prescence on these and other boards, it is only very recently that I have become aware of the existance of this term.

I am wholly and totally opposed to it and have ensured that it is included in the current PUG Business users project. I feel this is unnecessary and unfair and should be changed, soon.
N/A

Rolling annual contract

...I feel this is unnecessary and unfair and should be changed, soon.

I can identify where you are coming from but you have to accept that PlusNet has to make revenue from somewhere if it is to stay in business.

If you feel that you are being exploited by the contract you agreed to when you signed up and feel that it is now unfair, would you post on here those reasons why you feel that way?
N/A

Rolling annual contract

I can identify where you are coming from but you have to accept that PlusNet has to make revenue from somewhere if it is to stay in business.

Yes, and I am a business too, but I don't charge my customers for a service they are not using.

And a very good business they make too, as I am on a £46/month contract, it is not like they inform you when a new deal comes out that is better for you.

So do you think it is 'good business' to say 'ok, you don't need our service anymore but we will still charge you £138 for it'?

If you feel that you are being exploited by the contract you agreed to when you signed up and feel that it is now unfair, would you post on here those reasons why you feel that way?

If you read the original post, the terms and conditions that I agreed to and that were sent to me said the termination was 30 days after the initial year of the contract.

I think it is unfair, no, I think it is almost dishonest to make business by hiding the actual terms of service from your customers and then quoting them when they attempt to leave.

Even if you are going to impose these terms on people after hiding them from them when they signed up, you should at least send them reminders before the renewal of any contract.
Any reputable company would do that.
N/A

Rolling annual contract

you have to accept that PlusNet has to make revenue from somewhere if it is to stay in business.

Do I detect a change in tune John? Smiley

I dont feel exploited by anything. I dont see any reference to a rolling contract in my T&C's nor in those of my clients. I am led to believe that this may only apply to certain accounts.

As i have stated, this has been included in the Business Users project which is being run by PUG and the relevant questions will be asked of Plusnet.

Until I have the relevant facts I will not embark down the route of speculation or guesswork. That would be foolish and possibly counter productive.

@ ratsnest.

the termination was 30 days after the initial year of the contract

That would appear to be similar to the T&C's which I understand apply to me.

I will seek clarification of this situation as soon as possible, but it is unlikely to be before Monday and I cant promise an answer immediatley after that.
carrot63
Grafter

Rolling annual contract

I'd be substantially less than inpressed if I was in the position Ratsnest and pcsni are in. While theres nothing wrong with contracts, attempting to hide or obscure the conditions or change them without notice is unethical at the very least.

Every business with which I have a contract either requires my signature or acknowledgement that a new contract period has started, or at the very least explicitly tells in me advance a new term is about to commence. The same goes for any changes in the contract terms. I'd consider this to be fairly standard practice, unlike the behaviour mentioned here.
N/A

Rolling annual contract

Do I detect a change in tune John? Smiley

I'm thinking of going for the mod position Mark... Tongue

Any reputable company would do that.

I agree actually...
N/A

Rolling annual contract

the termination was 30 days after the initial year of the contract

That would appear to be similar to the T&C's which I understand apply to me.

I will seek clarification of this situation as soon as possible, but it is unlikely to be before Monday and I cant promise an answer immediatley after that.

Did you have any luck with this?

I had a word with the office of fair trading who said there might be an issue with unfair contract terms and that I should write a registered letter to plus.net about it.
N/A

Rolling annual contract

I will seek clarification of this situation as soon as possible, but it is unlikely to be before Monday and I cant promise an answer immediatley[ sic] after that.

Standard reply then... Tongue
N/A

Rolling annual contract

Hi there,

I believe you asked me this question via ADSLguide from a thread I also posted over there.

This should be raised to James Bailey as an incorrect term, I think it might even border on illegal.

As you know, I raised this issue on here when queried on one of my accounts, and James Bailey responded saying it was incorrect. I shall dig up the old thread for you. See here for it:

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=46357
Mand
Grafter

Rolling annual contract

Hi ratsnest,

I tried calling you today to discuss this but unfortunately was not able to contact you.

As such, please see the response to your ticket instead, and let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
N/A

Rolling annual contract

Hi,

I was on a residential connection for around 18 months then moved to a teleworker account when i started a new home working job. Cant recall anywhere that said "you have now got to stay another 12 months".

Anyway, does that mean im now stuck for 12 months? I am seriously considering leaving due to all the problems and it doesnt look good for my new job that i cant work for 50% of the day cos i cant connect to work....

Cheers
N/A

Rolling annual contract

Hi ratsnest,

I tried calling you today to discuss this but unfortunately was not able to contact you.

As such, please see the response to your ticket instead, and let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

I read the ticket and that is perfect. Thankyou very much
N/A

Rolling annual contract

I read the ticket and that is perfect. Thankyou very much

if the resolution is of public benefit and acceptable to post, would you mind doing so for the benefit of others?

thanks,
Richard.