cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rip off merchants!!!!

N/A

Rip off merchants!!!!

Have requested my MAC, not happy about having to buy out of my contract but as there is only 1 month to go and I am on PAYG not the end of the world as it means I can get a proper service from elsewhere - but what is really getting to me is the fact PN want me to pay £45 to release my domain name, yet if I wait 1 month it wont cost - surly as I will be paying for that month - albeit not using the service (so PN gain as I will use no bandwidth) you would expect them to let the domain go - but no, CS are adament theat the £45 charge stays. Not only that but they only answer the questions once every 24 hours so this is taking an age to sort out - and PN wonder why I am trying to move.

Shocking behaviour - If I do end up paying it then I will be seeking to recover it from the small claims court as I would have paid for my years contract I just choose not to use the final month. Would welcome some senior (if there are any) CS views on this!!!!!
17 REPLIES
N/A

Rip off merchants!!!!

Releasing domain names through regular registry places shouldn't cost anything, and the £1/month for .uk domains plus.net charge is quite high.
N/A

Rip off merchants!!!!

it did used to say that there would be a fee of £45 if you didn't keep a £1 domain for a certain elngth of time.

Ask plusnet where it states this on their website.

If thye show you then either payup or wait a month if they don't then I don't see how they can charge you.
N/A

Rip off merchants!!!!

But as it was a free domain with my account, if the account is paid up for the full year then there should be no charge? Also, the whole point is I do not want to wait a month - PN's services are not stable enough for me at the moment - the issues with email, CS phone lines and I have an ongoing disconnection issue is just causing too many problems when trying to use the connection to run a business.
N/A

Rip off merchants!!!!

If anything (and no consolation to the OP) it is a lesson for everyone who wants a domain, to make sure it is registered elsewhere.

I've registered domains for as low as US$ 0.60 - yes, 60 cents, or had them registered free. Others sometimes cost me $1.99 or $2.95, or wooooo! $6.95 (I mostly use .org, .com or .info rather than touch Nominet for .*.uk domains)

UKreg.com and 123-reg.co.uk do low cost .*.uk domains as do a few other UK and German firms. Some US firms are unable to hande domain transfers so watch out (they may also charge US$ 10/year for a .*.uk domain, so quite costly).

When Plus.Net finally integrates "Just-The-Name" (part of Parbin, alongside Port995 and Metronet) the prices might be lower for domains... Until then, however, there are plenty of alternatives to use!
N/A

Rip off merchants!!!!

The so call free .co.uk domain is charged at £1 per month with a 2 year contract. Don't know how PN got to the figure of £45 but I think it's along the lines of the £52.88 which they charge for registering a domain for 2 years minus the £1 monthly payments that you have made.

goodvalueisp is completely right in recommending that hosting and registration to be kept separately. I have one domain registered with PN at £52 before I was aware that you can get them cheaper elsewhere. So my second domain was registered with ukreg with PN hosting.
GersFans
Grafter

Rip off merchants!!!!

UKreg.com and

This is who I use, 14 domains I have with them for the pricely sum of $24 every 2 YEARS. Excellent service.

[Sorry for being slightly off topic.]
N/A

Rip off merchants!!!!

Still no reply from PN staff either here or on the ticket - about par for the course at the moment :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
JonathanW
Grafter

Rip off merchants!!!!

Unfortunately, the forums aren't an official means of support, as they're intended for members of the community to support one another. The answers already given, particlarly the one from Rich, cover what would have been said by either myself of one of the other comms team.

As it stands, if you transfer the domain out within the first year, then the system will try and charge you the full registration fee. I would advise that you raise this on your ticket so that support can give you an official answer.
N/A

Rip off merchants!!!!

I would advise that you raise this on your ticket so that support can give you an official answer.

It has been raised on my ticket - but as support see fit to only respond once in any 24hr period it makes the process of discussion rather drawn out and long winded, as well as extremly frustrating, and you wonder why I want out from this shoddy service!!!!!
N/A

Rip off merchants!!!!

After having just having spent 52 minutes on hold to get through to a CS agent he is now escalting this to see if the £45 can be waived - the length of the phone call with him was less then 2 minutes!!!!! And the ticket has been bouncing around since Sunday - yet you want us to use the ticket system and you can not manage it properly!!! This is why i want out and the quicker the better!!
N/A

Domain names

For further info on domains:

www.1and1.co.uk charge £1:99 per year for a .co.uk domain. The more expensive ones are £8:89 a year (.com .org .net).

£1 a month by PN is almost a crime.

Let the domain lapse. If it is so obscure as to probably not be immediately snapped up then it will be returned to nominet and you can pick it up again from £1:99
N/A

Rip off merchants!!!!

Well they actually saw sense!!!! I am being allowed to move my domain name for free Cheesy Cheesy But I now have to try and get my MAC key - I really wish that if they want us to use the ticket system they actually respond in a timely manner!!! I started this on Sunday, and we are 1/2 way through the week already, I have spent over 1 hour on the phone and about the same time typing tickets, all this just to get a MAC key, It really should be a five minute job, not all this hassle :roll: :roll: :roll:
craigbrass
Grafter

Rip off merchants!!!!

Well it is technically illegal for any domain name provider to hold your domain "random" and force you to pay money to get it out. That is still true even if they put it in their T&Cs. You have to tell them this tho, most usually listen when you sound like you "know the rules". If not, just contact the company they are reselling for (look on whois.sc/domainname.here).

Bit of advice for you. NEVER register a domain name with the company you get hosting with even if they offer it free. You should always register with an independent domain name provider and point the nameservers to the hosting provider.

Glad to hear you got it all sorted tho.
N/A

Rip off merchants!!!!

You live and learn :lol: :lol: