cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Right...

N/A

Right...

I've just trundled over to Plus from Pipex. I DON'T like the rumblings of discontent on this forum at all!

I'm going to be:

Downloading a bit of music
The odd bit of media
A bit of Xbox Live

Am I going to get a good service, or am I buggered?

I've got the 2meg premier account.
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Right...

Welcome to the forums.

It all depends on what you are going to be using your connection for. if it will be a lot of P2P & Newsgroup stuff, then you may be in for dissapointment.

Other than that I cant see any pottential problems with the service. There are others that use XBOX live that have siad they don't see problems, and as long as you arent downloading more than the SUP level for your account (100GB anytime or 30GB peak time for £21.99) then you should not have that much to be concerned about.

If you have only recently joined, you do have the ability to migrate away under the 45 day gurantee without being held to any yearly subscription fees, so my advice would be try it and see.

Have you had any problems so far?
N/A

Right...

I will!

To be honest, I've not tried the net yet. Only connected yesterday with my new wireless modem arriving today. Its just VERY shocking to happen to browse into here and see the massive grumblings of discontent.

I mean, as long as gaming and browsing is unaffected. I'll be happy. I DO like to download a bit of music so will be a bit gutted at lack of speed... although I am tempted to run these overnight/while I'm at work when it is designated as being off peak. I'm not a chronic downloaded by any stretch of the imagination.

As you say though, 45 days it is. I shall see how things lie after a couple of weeks.

I'm hoping all will be fab. Also would like to see the PlusNet boys come in to reassure that all will be fine!
Alecto
Grafter

Right...

@gemsi
I wouldn't expect any problems.
I use a fair bit of P2P and am fine with the service - though some users do seem to have been over-throttled. But it's always difficult to find where the fault lies with P2P anyway.
As always, those with complaints will make themselves known, while the satisfied ones usually just get on with using it and say nothing.

Hope you enjoy being with Plusnet.
N/A

Right...

gemsi, The problem we are having is that the asses in plusnet managment have alterd their "unlimited" service to a limited one which is why we are not happy and a bit pissed off. If you are a light user and dont mind being overcharged then this is a good isp for you
LiamM
Grafter

Right...

As a new customer, you should be fine as long as you're not a super-heavy user.

I would consider myself to be a heavy user and I am fine with my connection. My brother's use XBOX Live and PS2.net without issues.
N/A

Right...

Well, we'll see how things pan out!

Of course I'll let you know how I get on.
LiamM
Grafter

Right...

I now wish that I hadn't combined me and my girlies name to come up with my Plusnet username...

Gemma and Simon?

I wish I hadn't used my surname. Since most people call me Martin and my name is Liam.
N/A

Right...

Hi gemsi,

If its any help, i have been with this ISP for a couple of years. I also have referred many of my clients.

Whilst I agree that there are many grumblings on the board, much of which is understandable, the product supplied by Plus Net and in the cost bracket, is superb.

I honestly believe that Plus Net are very aware of the level of discontent within the customer base and are striving to make the appropriate changes and address the difficulties.

I have no qualms in recommending that you stay with Plus Net and am confident, that before too long we will see a return to the unrivalled levels of customer care and support that won this company several awards.

Hang in there. It will be worth it in the long run.
slytuk
Grafter

Right...

Welcome to plusnet doood

As your referrer, you know I like a bit of downloading activity, and save a bad month where I had a lot of Linux DVD isos to pull down, I naturally stick under 100gb quite comfortably.

The month where it went haywire, (hit nearly 200gb) I had to do a full PC rebuild which required pulling massive amounts of data in terms of drivers, software, updates and so on. - I did not recieve a warning of this, nor do I notice any substantial losses in service.

I maintain 2 PCs on a home network and on the whole have been very impressed. I have noticed slowdowns in newsgroup access recently, and am concerned that if I leave the "obtain IP automatically" setting, I get assigned someone elses IP, but I am upgrading some of my networking hardware and will see how this helps. (If this problem continues I will raise a ticket as the phone service is often very busy. In the past I have found tickets to be answered quicker than if I had waited throuh the "Musak" you get when on hold!)

As others have mentioned, it will be "suck it and see" situation, but aside from some connection problems and usernet, I feel I am doing "OK" out of the deal.

I cannot afford to switch ISPs due to the deferred hardware setup of Plus net, but I would recommend spending a month doing "what you normally would expect to do" if the service doesnt feel adequate, or your usage stats indicate abnormally high levels of activity, you can move on.

Usernet in itself is a good example of how a capped service can affect users. Although people may not download vast amounts of useful data, a usernet account downloads headers for things whether you grab the item or not. Some of the usergroups are so active, if you update regularly (which you often need to so that you can keep abreast of what is avaliable) you end up downloading gigs of data when there is nothing you actually get. I once had a group where I pulled 10gb in 2days and didnt find any binaries containing the info i wanted.

If you (or other Plusnet users) want to use usergroups, you may find that choosing the right newsreader helps greatly. I am trying to find one at the moment that has filters on the headers it downloads. That and a good search tool with no limits to searching. Not only will this help your own cause of not pulling too much data un-nesecarily, but also it alleviates some of the strain on the service for others. Perhaps if we all were a little more selective in how we use the internet and its services, we would all get the levels of service we require.

Just my 2cents Smiley

SlyT
N/A

Right...

I now wish that I hadn't combined me and my girlies name to come up with my Plusnet username...

Gemma and Simon?

I wish I hadn't used my surname. Since most people call me Martin and my name is Liam.

You got it! I don't think she would have been happy with my Xbox Live name as our user name!
N/A

Right...

Welcome to plusnet doood

I like your well maintained professional manner throughout your post, whereas in real life, I know your emails end up being a shambles of badly connected letters and symbols... Cheesy

Yeah, I'll give it a blast! As you know, I'm an Edonkey guy so I've got BOG all clue what usenet is like etc!

I DO like the fact that there is a forum here for people to natter on tho. Pipex didn't ever have a thing!

The comparisons between contention and pizza buffets just made me hungry. Sad
N/A

Right...

Oh yeah, everyone can call me SI by the way! Or Widge if the shock of real life names is a bit too much in the soft comfort zone of the virtual world...
slytuk
Grafter

Right...

How about....

Matt Damon
N/A

Right...

hurr hurr thats me

I have that as my ringtone now btw

MATT DAMONNN