cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Right... Well Heres What I Think

N/A

Right... i've read this forum till my eyes have started to bleed about the new caps/fup/rules/bandwidth regs WHATEVER you want to call them.

and to be utterly and completely honest....

PlusNET seem to be at this point where BT cannot handle 2mb to Everyone at All Times end of story, and just like everythin else, why legally should they be allowed to sell what they havent got? I bet if there was such an audit on Backbone traffic towards the capacity needed to provide the UK with 2mb, I reckon.... there would big shortfall.

I know we all go yay 8mb ROCK ON bout time we caught up to USA, and true it is a good sign, but the clever guys at BT and PLUS have gone , "uh oh" we dont have the resources for this *thinks quickly* we'll shove up bandwidth prices and therefore enforce ISP's to introduce FUP's and CAPS so our network doesnt collapse and we look like tw**s.

In all honesty take me back to 512kbs and give me a back a unshaped, unlimited connection... and get together with the Data Carriers and the organisations who fund the communications network, and get the blasted thing revamped. I have heard news of a planned 21CN network, well lets get it on the move, not ... well we will do some testing, consider it and maybe get it sorted within few years.

And as for the current situation with bandwidth , PlusNET you are taking the biscuit. How am i supposed to do my job with MySQL backup files from FTP servers? When im bloody restricted... and unlike those 14 year old teenagers downloading a CAM of King Kong filmed by some halfwit in Asia actually using the speed for legit reasons? Like said in a few posts, if the majority are fine, why pick on us, pick on the bloody minority which are pulling down the network with BitTorrent and Limewire etc.... and don't just slow them down, block them, at this moment in time, any normal user would die to have a stable, less crowded network without p2p traffic.

And... Somehow I have this feeling it isn't the money we are paying for the service, its the physical limitations. I wish BT would stop promising the world to us all. This is due to the fact the "wannabe" computer users don't have concepts of network managment are expecting "more speed, more speed".

Hey I tell you what? I'd rather a Hard Cap like Zen have got, at least then you arent wasting your time posting to tons of posts on here with people who obviously dont have a clue whats going on "me included". If you told us right... this is the cap for this service *maybe exempt internal Plus FTP traffic* and offer bandwidth add-ons.

I can honestly see your intentions were good and I like the way you have said hey, well even if you use your bandwidth you can still use Skype and Surf. Thats great, but you've left so many grey areas.

At the end of the day what I am trying to get is a cicrumstance where i go on the internet and I know what im going to get. If its a 512kbs service, so be it, at least i know its there and not having to watch my usage all the time, praying im not on Plus's hit list of abusive users.

Regards

Matt
13 REPLIES
Nick_Russell
Grafter

I agree with most of this. PlusNet can keep (if they REALLY want to) all their complicated products and management but why not offer a completely unrestricted product option with a hard cap of 50 or 100 GB per month?
N/A

PlusNET you are taking the biscuit. How am i supposed to do my job with MySQL backup files from FTP servers?

If you are a business user, and based on that comment I reckon you must be, we are not affected by these SUP limits, so if its for your job or work, you should not be affected or suffer in this way.
Neil_A
Grafter

...why not offer a completely unrestricted product option with a hard cap of 50 or 100 GB per month?

We have our PAYG product available with 10GB hard cap for £19.99 per month.
N/A

Nope, Im a resedential customer.

I basically have a part time online Linux Administration job, which somtimes entails me downloading 100mb SQL files to import and export between servers.

Saying this my usage is below 15gb month so why should I be punished and be tied in with the spotty teenage CAM downloaders and given shaped FTP traffic.

I should not have to have a Business line just because.... I want to download some SQL backups, and if anyone suggests otherwise they are making a joke of what a Business Service is for.
N/A

Actually the speed increase in lines should in theory reduce congestion, as users spend less time on the network downloading receiving what you want. A 1 gig file that could of taken a few hours before on unshaped p2p, now takes days and days of that user connected... There comes a point where users stop downloading content, there are only so many tv series most people want to watch and a tv series is typically a 1.5gb download. If there was a more balanced hardcap at 25gb peak time say but unshaped i think most users would download want they want fairy swiftly. Sure thel be a bit of chaos when the new series of 24 hits the net but apart from that i think it would be better.
N/A

sorry m8, but it just wont work like that,

You wont get anywhere near 8mbit on plusnet during peaktimes. and unlikely during the day 2. People may download faster but they still download and the centrals are going to continue to max out.

if you offered unshaped. contention would kick in and gaming, voip and dns would all die. Now i personally dont think thats fair.

I also dont think plusnets limits are reasonable either.

They need to get rid of that BB+ backages. It just isnt something tahts sustainable in a realistic sence. £21.99 should be teh basic allrounder package. leaves a good profit margin and money to invest in the netowkr.

I know plus would say this would make them uncompetitive but honestly the way things are atm. i can get a far better deal elsewhere. very easily. Your a word of mouth isp. if your service is good people will pay £21 a month and be happy to do so.

Most people see £15 grab it then its all slow on their favourite p2p downlaods etc because they didnt read the product description properly. You've just lost a pile of potentional customers. Multiply this by the amount of times it happens. Multiply it by the people leaving annoyed by the service. and your talking 10's of tousands of possilbe custoemrs i would recon
MrToast
Grafter

Most people see £15 grab it then its all slow on their favourite p2p downlaods etc ..

'Most people' don't use P2P.....

(I guess your talking of BB+. PAYG would have high priority, compared to BB+, on p2p)

BB+ is a great value product that suits many (but not all) customers. For the others there are other products.

Somebody has to pay for the network. To share that cost capacity is contended. This is not new. It applies to telephones and many other services too.
N/A

clifosj, I think you're out by a factor of 10 there, tv series that are of 45min episodes at ~ 350mb epsiode end up around 8gb, 22min episodes tend to be around 4gb, so more than the 1.5gb, unless you go for appauling quality, however now with the advent of hdtv, people are going to start getting the hdtv versions which are even bigger.
MrToast
Grafter

Re: Right... Well Heres What I Think

PlusNET seem to be at this point where BT cannot handle 2mb to Everyone at All Times end of story, and just like everythin else, why legally should they be allowed to sell what they havent got?

Your wrong.

Contractualy they are providing a contended service. Either 50:1 or 20:1 on the BT network depending on the product you bought. Its possible that BT have 'overprovided' in many cases... but its not going to be 1:1 or anything like.

In all honesty take me back to 512kbs and give me a back a unshaped, unlimited connection...

ADSL connections have been sold as contended serves from the start.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

I think BT have now dropped their 50:1 and 20:1 products and now call them Home and Office (respectivly). Office I think is given priority over Home, but no contention ratios are specified, but yes it still is a contended service.

Phil
N/A

Please don't be cocky, you knew what i meant be unlimited, where by 2 years back when you could pretty much use your connection without having to worry about the consequences.

I know services are contentioned.. *sighs
Neil_A
Grafter

I think BT have now dropped their 50:1 and 20:1 products and now call them Home and Office (respectivly). Office I think is given priority over Home, but no contention ratios are specified

Almost :-)

BT do still define IPStream Home as 50:1 on their network and IPStream Office as 20:1 on their network. They have moved away from contention for IPStream Max so you'll have two products - IPStream Max and IPStream Max Premium. The difference being the latter will be managed in BT's network to perform better at peak times than the former. Max Premium will also have a higher upstream rate (800k if my memory serves me).

We'll use IPStream Max for our residential and teleworker products and Max Premium for our business products.
Community Veteran

Max upload is 448Kbs max, max premium upload is 832Kbs max

It's difficult to say that with so many max's.