cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ridiculous connections today!

Azagoth
Grafter

For the past three months everything has been fine and dandy, no problem with general internet use whatsoever. However, today I'm experiencing constant time-outs when trying to access website, my email client won't connect and I can't even run a speed test as it times out for them too. Even if it doesn't time out, it's taking close on 30 - 60 seconds to open a webpage, now for 2MB broadband that is unexceptable!

Is it just me, or is anyone else experiencing these problems today?

Before anyone starts claiming it's my PC, it's not! My rig is in tip-top shape and performs brilliantly, plus AV is run daily, so is Adaware Pro and Spybot. All of which are clean and no suspect spy or malware is present. No viruses are present either!
27 REPLIES
N/A

Ditto .. getting the same thing myself. But I've been getting these disconnections/timeouts for 2 months, I thought it was normal practice these days.
N/A

I've been having problems today too Sad
Been out for most of the day, but upon getting home every web site I went to would just time out bigtime. Never seen anything like it in a long time. Even this very reply window took just over a minute to appear, lord knows how long it'll take to submit.

Those disconnection problems, as mentioned in the thread somewhere over the last page or so I've been having for the past month and a half here so I've gotten used to it.
grahamv
Grafter

OK until about an hour ago. Now can't get thru to webmail at all - traceroute looks like this:

Traceroute to: webmail.plus.net
IP address: [84.92.1.1]

1: [192.168.0.1]
( 0 ms) ! ( 1 ms) ! ( 1 ms) !
2: [195.166.128.123] lo0-plusnet.ptn-ag1.plus.net
( 18 ms) ! ( 18 ms) ! ( 19 ms) !
3: (No reply) * (No reply) * (No reply) *
4: (No reply) * (No reply) * (No reply) *
5: (No reply) * (No reply) * (No reply) *
6: (No reply) * (No reply) *
+: [84.92.1.1] webmail.plus.net
( 86 ms) !E
Stopped: destination reached

and ping looks like this:

Host IP address = 84.92.1.1
Packet receive error : No Reply

PING statistics
5 packets transmitted, no packets received, 100% packet loss
Took me several tries to set up this reply, but got thru eventually (obviously). Non-plusnet browsing seems to be OK at the moment.
N/A

Not just web pages

It's not just web pages I can't do any of the following:

SSH
Mysql (3306)
Can't even acces our server's webmin (https) on 10000

Can't ssh into westminster-abbey.org
Can't even use frontpage's shoddy interface on the site

Can't work!!! grrrrrr Sad
Community Veteran

Phil (acarr in a previous incarnation :razz: ) just posted this on service status!

We are currently investigating timeouts on some of our gateways. This will cause intermitant connectivity problems.

Our network engineers are investigating and further updates will be made when available.

Kind regards,

Phil Richardson
Customer Support
Scallywag

My connection is also slower than usual, but most importantly (for me), I can't access my normal Teamspeak server. Tracert is giving up after first step.
N/A

Yup, my browser & email clients (all) out this p.m. for about 30 mins from 1930, tho' I must say I haven't had the probs others had today. I haven't had 7 totally clear days during the last 3 months, however, and the BT "Deepthroat" has noticed that service is usually chopped at the weekends...due to insufficient capacity!

SURELY this can't be true...... :!:
N/A

Also many people om these forums are getting next to nothing with p2p apps like emule . me included

We have been trying to make plusnet take some notice. but to no avail - the service status page still shows a green light - all ok - so looks like everyone must be imagining it all.
Azagoth
Grafter

P2P isn't an issue for me as I hardly ever use it. The most I download is the odd mp3 every now and then, so I can put up with the slow speeds as I knew it was severly throttled on BB+ when I signed up.

As for my original post, I just disconnected and went downstairs for a fag and coffee. Now, I can connect Ok, whereas before I was getting pop-up boxes stating "*insert site here* cannot be found, please check name and try again" even though the addresses were perfectly correct.

Like I said though, I'm connected now. Let's just see how long this lasts.
N/A

I've been having packet loss since Friday consistently. Takes ages to load any web page.

As you guys have only started having this problem - I'm not too sure whether it's connected (sounds like it is). But I just wish someone from Plusnet would respond in my ticket and let me know what's going on. Ticket: 17920696
N/A

major slow down here today too..... Sad hope its sorted soon..... speed check is showing half of what i should be getting and that is at its best....
N/A

Hah!

I reported an almost identical traceroute output as above - and was given the "we can find nothing wrong with your line or connection" (I paraphrase very slightly) response, and an escalation out to BT.

9 Days and one pointless "nothing wrong mate" visit from BT - on a sunday morning, and I'm still getting the same behaviour.

Oh, and of course the ticket was closed when it was passed over to BT residential as a possible ine fault... so an unresolved problem is now listed as a closed ticket. Hmmm.... a triumph of statistics over reality.

And no fix as yet.

If this does prove to be a problem which did NOT require a line fault test and engineer visit there is NO WAY I am paying for the BT visit.

Evil

And similar to azagoth, no changes in my setup, behind a good hefty firewall, same router as for 2 years.
N/A

I don't know if it's connected(no pun...) but it took almost an hour this morning before plusnet would accept my password,and last night there were lots of problems with time-outs.

I assume this has affected a a lot of users, but many probably can't log-in to the forum or connect to the internet to tell us.
N/A

me too. a lot of LCP down. just couple of minutes' up then down again. I just wonder if I can cancel it without pay the cancellation fee (i'm in 12 months contract) since my service has just start a few days before. any one give me avice? THANKS!! :lol: