cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reverse DNS

N/A

Reverse DNS

Do plusnet allow you to have your own Reverse dns?

thanks.
17 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

Reverse DNS

Generally only if the domain is under the control of the PlusNet NS servers (ns1.force9.net and ns2.force9.net)
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Reverse DNS

Hi,

You can either set it to ip_address.plus.com or host.domain.tlk if you have a domain name.
By default it will be username.plus.com
There's a specific path in the Contact Us wizard you can go through to request the change.
Ianwild
Grafter

Reverse DNS

To add to this, there has been something of a policy change now and customers no longer HAVE to have the domain hosted on our DNS. However to do that, we do require some sort of proof of domain ownership before we will make the change - Either a scanned attachment of a domain registration certificate, or the visible Whois details must match both the name and address of the account holder.

Regards,

Ian
N/A

Reverse DNS

So it will be not possible for me to use a friends domain who runs a shell company? Sad Will buy one Sad
N/A

Reverse DNS

Well to use an extreme example, someone could say 'My mate Bill Gates says Im OK to use Microsoft.com as my rDNS' which would obviously leave us open to abuse cases. So unfortunately this would not be possible.

Regards,

Nick Dodds
N/A

Reverse DNS

so we cant use one of the following vhosts then: Cry

http://slacksite.com/humour/whois.html
N/A

Reverse DNS

Not unless it is your name and address assigned on the whois for the domain names.
N/A

Reverse DNS

Ah, that will teach me to reply without reading Tongue
N/A

Reverse DNS

Its all set now since yesterday but why does my new host resolve to regd.plus.net.212.159.8.1 :x

Will it change in time, or?
csogilvie
Grafter

Reverse DNS

Thats usually where domains without the www. point, it looks to me as if somethings not been setup correctly.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Reverse DNS

Hi,

The reverse DNS record has been set up OK, you'll need to create your own forward DNS record under Domain Names as the default record points is pointing at the Homepages server.
csogilvie
Grafter

Reverse DNS

Dave - how do you do that?

Setting an A record says both left and right are mandatory, and if its just <domain>.co.uk that you have for the rDNS, you can't do that as far as I can see...
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Reverse DNS

Choose A record, on the left hand side put

domain.co.uk. (remember the trailing dot)

right hand side put the IP address.
csogilvie
Grafter

Reverse DNS

Could this be added to http://portal.plus.net/support/webspace/domain_admin_dns.shtml then, as it would make sense for it to be in the FAQ if users have to do it themselves?