cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reverse DNS Broken

N/A

Reverse DNS Broken

I have a number of friends (5) on PlusNet and we network together for various reason using our accountname.plus.com. Therefore for them to access my PC they would use:

telnet netwalks.plus.com

This has now stopped working. The Reverse DNS lookup for our networks now appear in the format ipaddress.broadband.plus.dyn.plus.net.

Why has this changed? I note the service status page says there have been changes to IP allocation which is fine but no mention is made of totally breaking RDNS.

Please HELP!

Julian
9 REPLIES
MrToast
Grafter

Reverse DNS Broken

My rDNS is working.

From your post I'm guessing that you are on BB+. This is a service where IP addresses are not fixed. I'm not myself so I don't know how the experience has changed with the updates, but again from your post it looks as though you were effectively fixed for a while.

If you need a fixed IP consider upgrading to another account type.
N/A

Reverse DNS Broken

My guess is that you/your friends are on Broadband Plus or PAYG, which have dynamic IPs rather than the static IP that Premiere gives.

If that's the case, then what they've done is removed the workaround for the dynamic IP address (the constant rdns). Your best bet will be to sign up with a dynamic DNS provider.
LiamM
Grafter

Reverse DNS Broken

Spot on. Broadband Plus is sold with a Dynamic IP. Though recently rDNS has worked OK and IPs were usually sticky, Plusnet have recently performed some maintenence to ensure BB+ users should get a different IP on every connect, and a different rDNS also.

Either signyp for dynamicDNS or upgrade to Premier.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Reverse DNS Broken

If you are on a broadband Plus account, then you will now have a truly dynamic IP address. As a result of this you won't be able to use username.plus.com as your hostname.

It would be best to sign up for a free hostname from somewhere like DynDNS or no-ip where you can download a client which updates them whenever your ip address changes.
N/A

Reverse DNS Broken

Thanks for the reply; I'd guessed as much myself but moving to a truly dynamic IP address, as opposed to "sticky", doesn't necessarily mean that rDNS should change at all. One does not follow the other.

PlusNet should be more open about the consequences of changes they make. Having a dynamic IP does not mean having a constantly changing DNS name.

The most annoying thing is that all of us used to use dyndns.org through our routers (Netgear) but had to switch it off as once a couple were upgraded to 2Mbs the lines lost sync so often the accounts on dyndns.org were suspended for being updated too often. :x You can't win sometimes.

Julian

P.S. Great suggestion about upgrading to Premier! I'm sure we would all like to donate another £6 to PN just for the luxury of having a static DNS name! NOT. Cheesy
MrToast
Grafter

Reverse DNS Broken

My guess is that you/your friends are on Broadband Plus or PAYG, which have dynamic IPs

BB PAYG has fixed IP.

Its the same as premier except that you pay for the volume of data per month in 1GB chunks
N/A

Reverse DNS Broken

BB PAYG has fixed IP.

Its the same as premier except that you pay for the volume of data per month in 1GB chunks

Ah - of course. Well, I was *nearly* right Wink
N/A

Reverse DNS Broken

Ben, our posts must have crossed. Some warning of the consequences of your changes would have been welcome. From your service status post:

Tomorrow, we will be making some minor back end changes to the way in which we assign IP addresses, particularly to Broadband Plus customers, such that the IP address will now be different each time you disconnect and reconnect.

We would like to reassure customers that this change will be totally transparent and will not affect the service in any other way.

Obviously not a totally transparent change! How do I get back my static DNS name?

Julian
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Reverse DNS Broken

You can't have a static DNS name with us on Plus, as the IP address could change quicker that our DNS records can update.

I strongly recommend using dyndns as I have suggested in my last post, as this will give you a hostname that updates much quicker, or upgrade to a Premier account, which will give you a static IP address and a static hostname.

Most users on Plus won't notice the changes as they won't be running any services from their connections. Running servers on Plus really isn't recommended because the IP address provided is dynamic.