cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revenge of the 36 kilobit connection

Community Veteran

Guess whats back. :roll:

return home from work todayto find my internet connection is running slowly, a BT speedtest, which took about adozen attempts to complete, showed 36 kilobits. Sad

Hmmm.

Guess its going to be the normal 3 week run around from plusnet, eventual engineer visit and "sorry cant find anything wrong" response.

Is there any chance what so ever that Plusnet could actually talk to BT and have them check out the Chesterfield exchange? This is the third time I have experienced this fault, and asking me to perform the usual speedtests at ungodly hours is not going to sit well. It would seem that nothing has been done to correct this issue, as its back again.

I will raise a ticket non the less.

Ta,

Chris.
92 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Up to 0.2 MBps this morning. (according to the AG speedtest) an improvement, but somewhat lacking.

Exchange is grenn though, so at least the automated tests can be run by plusnet, though the return of the ticket stating the resukts of these as "inconclusive" was hardly inspiring.

Could this be due to overcrowding on PN pipes?
jagger
Grafter

In my recent experience,yes.
Community Veteran

I am starting to think as much. To be honest Plusnet seem to have used every other tool at their disposal.

Traffic shaping, reducing bandwidth allowances, removing binaries, changing peak hours to reduce allowances further.

The only thing left would be to let the pipes fill up now.

It is very sad, but I feel the end is nigh for my time with Plusnet. Cry
jagger
Grafter

Hey Chesterfield,
have you been downgraded to MaxDSL yet,because that could be your problem.
Everyone and his dog are reporting dial up periods while their new connection is "maturing"

Just a thought,but you are a long time customer and therefore at the front of the downgrade queue like me ( not happened yet)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Could this be due to overcrowding on PN pipes?

I doubt it - I've just run an AG speed test:

Speed Test Results
Downstream 5,258.3 Kbps ( = 5.1 Mbps )
Upstream 382.8 Kbps ( = 0.4 Mbps )

Edit to add:
You are currently connected to the "Telehouse North, Juniper 2" gateway. This gateway is sometimes known as ptn-ag2.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

@Elvin

So when did you go DSLMax ?
Community Veteran

I dont think Ive been upgraded - my sync rate is still what it has always been (since the free upgrade to 2mb). Steady at 1mb.

I dont hold out much hope of it going any faster, but Im certainly hoping it wont screw it up.

Must be a BT exchange thing, its happened a few times now. The last time was the worst of the bunch, between 8 kilobits and 40 kilobits for almost a fortnight.

Its almost as if something is loose or flaky at the exchange.

Last time I had an engineer visit, he told me that my line goes directly to the exchange, even though its over 2.5KM away. No stop off at the cabinet.

So its either a fault in the line, or at one of the ends - and mine was checked by the engineer last time.
Community Veteran

Friday/Saturday
jagger
Grafter

@ Chesterfield.

See that L8NC link in my sig? Try setting up an account on that (free and takes about 24 hours to initialise) That will give you a lot of info about your line.I found it very useful in fault finding,especially when PN trotted out all the "nothing to do with us" manure.It was actually.It was the gateway issue from last month when, eventually, PN had to re-jig all us poor old "plus.net" customers off of the offending gateway where we had been dumped (the old metronet 155 pipe).

Forget the ADSL Guide and plusnet speed test.Use the BT one,detailed in the usertools tutorials,also in my sig.

Prepare to become an experienced network troubleshooter. :shock:
N/A

Friday/Saturday

Somewhat ironic that you should be regraded on the day of James Bailey's announcement and before commencement of the bulk regrade of PAYG

How do you account for it?
Community Veteran

How do you account for anything that was happening with the ordering of the upgrades?
N/A

Divine intervention then Wink

Watch out for lightning bolts on the connection :shock:
Community Veteran

YAY!!!

Returned home to find its not working at all now !

Its connecting, getting an IP address, and then zero traffic. Even connecting to the speed test log in, it gets the IP, then takes 10minutes to even bring up the "start" page of the speed test (the one where you put your phone number in)

This is a complete and utter farce, this is the third time this very problem has occurred, and asper usual,plusnet have passed it on to BT and then left it alone.

What a pathetic and useless atitude.

If its not fixed 24 hours from now, then my direct debit will be cancelled, and Ill be asking for my mac code.
James
Grafter

Hi there,

I've raised this internally for one of my guys to jump onto asap.

Bear in mind as the problem is replicated on a BT Speedtest, you will have the same problem when you have migrated. The problem will be on either the BT Network, your equipment, your line, and so on. What measures have you undertaken to ensure that the problem is not at your end?