cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restrict email to named recipients

ncreu
Grafter

Due to high levels of spam, I want to be able to restrict email to named recipients.

Can this be achieved on domains hosted with plusnet?

Richard
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Yep, you have to raise a ticket but it is not documented.

Ask PN to blackhole your mailboxes.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
ncreu
Grafter

Changing domain names already hosted

Yep, you have to raise a ticket but it is not documented.

Ask PN to blackhole your mailboxes.

Thanks for the tip.

I thinking that it'll make sense to replace the particular domain name with one that hasn't attracted this type of behaviour as yet.

Does anyone know if PlusNet will make an administrative charge for changing one domain name already hosted in an account with one newly registered?

Can't see it mentioned in T&C but thought I'd better ask the question. Wink

Richard
N/A

ncreu
Grafter

You can manualy blackhole a mailbox

What I wanted to be able to do is only accept email addressed to a named contact at one of the three domains hosted on my account. All other email to this particular domain needs to be sent to a blackhole, as you describe.

I've concluded that I would only be able to do this if I had my own mail server, which I don't.

I'm able to use other nameservers where I can specify which email addresses are acceptable and all others will be rejected.

To overcome this limitation of the PlusNet facility, I'm prepared to host another domain in place of the one that I'm experiencing spamming problems with.

This would seem to be the most convenient method since I'm not using this domain to host web content of any great value.

The question in my second post to this thread was to discover whether my request to replace one hosted domain with another would cause plusnet to levy a maintenance charge on my account.

I hope that it wouldn't but I want to be sure. Smiley

Richard
Community Veteran

I've concluded that I would only be able to do this if I had my own mail server, which I don't.

You will need to create an account called 'postmaster' to get admin e-mail from PlusNet, then raise a ticket and tell them to blackhole messages sent to <randomaddress>@firstalpha. plus. com

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
ncreu
Grafter

You will need to create an account called 'postmaster' to get admin e-mail from PlusNet, then raise a ticket and tell them to blackhole messages sent to <randomaddress>@firstalpha. plus. com

Hi SW

You've not understood my problem that is related to a domain name hosted within my broadband account.

I don't have a problem with username.plus.com

Since first posting about this issue I've gained a better understanding of how the domain name hosting works on plusnet.

Whereas hosting services that I enjoy from other providers can restrict the delivery of email to named users at a domain, the PlusNet offering does not. Sad

Richard
Community Veteran

You've not understood my problem that is related to a domain name hosted within my broadband account.

Richard,

I had assumed, perhaps wrongly, that a domain hosted by PN was treated the same.

So lets say you have a domain called fa.co.uk, messages to name1@firstalpha.plus.com and name1@fa.co.uk are processed exactly the same by PN.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
ncreu
Grafter

So lets say you have a domain called fa.co.uk, messages to name1@firstalpha.plus.com and name1@fa.co.uk are processed exactly the same by PN.

Hi SW

Is that a statement of fact, as far as you know?

rgds

Richard
Community Veteran

Yes M'lud.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
N/A

Here's the salient bit:

What if my default mailbox is full of spam?

Your default mailbox automatically accepts email that is sent to 'anything'@username.plus.com, where anything can be quite literally anything. This can make it vulnerable to spam email.

If you only want to receive email that is addressed to a mailbox or re-direct that you have set up, you can block your default mailbox by asking us a Question using Help Assistant. This can be an excellent way to reduce the amount of unsolicited spam email that you receive.

If you block email to your default mailbox you must set up a mailbox called postmaster. We will send important information to you using the postmaster@username.plus.com and you are contractually obliged to monitor this email address.

The changes also apply to hosted domain addresses.
ncreu
Grafter

Thanks

Thanks
Mand
Grafter

Hi

Just to answer your other question, it depends on the domain. If you are using a £1 per month domain, this could be changed without charge (as long as you have had the original domain for 12 months+). If it's a domain that you are planning to register without the £1 per month option you would be billed for registration, unless of course you're transferring the second domain from elsewhere.

Also to clarify, godsell is correct in saying that mail sent to your domain is treated the same as mail sent to username.plus.com.
ncreu
Grafter

Thanks for the confirmation. Since I've established that it's the domain name that is attracting the spam email, I thought it best to remove that domain from the account and replace it with one that I felt was less likely to attract this type of behaviour.

I was looking for reassurance that changing a domain for another that I already have registered would not attract an administration charge. Both domains are registered through a third party provider so all that support will need to do is delete one and replace with another.

I can find no mention of a fee for doing this. Smiley

Richard
Mand
Grafter

That's 'cos there isn't one Smiley

Raise a ticket and we'll sort it out for you.