cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Response to Vision Post

N/A

Response to Vision Post

Its seems the "2006" solution is for problems here and now.
Perhaps some of those problems could of been avoided with a phased/tested/partial release of the current changes in the infrastructure to assess the impact on all customers not just the ones you wanted off the network.

I had a 1Gb file to download , p2p, which in the end I gave up on. It worked out quicker to a friend to d/load it and I copy it off him. Btw, said friend dumped you a few weeks back and went to F2S.

I reckon I average less than 5Gb a month - you want my custom or not?
I have read the changes you propose and they might work for me , but it seems they are not going to be coming anytime soon. In the meantime you are asking me to put up with your badly implemented plans.

Btw, currently on BroadbandPremier - carefully assessing other ISPs.
28 REPLIES
N/A

Response to Vision Post

In another forum I recently made a post outlining what I percieved as some of the difficulties with Plus Net at the minute.

Without exception, every one of my concerns have been addressed, clearly and effectively in Stewarts post.

That post, for me, sets out the Plus net stall in a clear and unambiguous manner and I truely welcome it.

I have no doubt that its contents will not please everyone, but thats an impossible goal. For me, its what I have been hoping to hear for some time.

Once again my faith in Plus Net, as a service provider, is increasing and long may that continue.

Thanks Stewart for clarity and openness.
Community Veteran

Response to Vision Post

o.k. third time lucky (hopefully this is the right thread this time)!

Three things:

1) It's mentioned that those on 4 and 8mb and an easynet enabled exchange will now get 16 and 24mb respectively, does that mean those on 2mb (£21.99) are going to get 8mb now?
2) I'd like to volunteer for the customer forum!
3) I think we should see the random selection on the webcam ;-)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Response to Vision Post

Mark,
I am pleased that your concerns have been met but as a non affected user (PAYG) I still have problems with this statement
Around 1% of customers are very, very heavy downloaders who use unsustainable amounts.

This has been said many times before (Bad Boy Pipe onwards) and each time the very heavy users are supposed to have left or had their habits changed.
As we still have this 1% figure quoted - and now for a higher user base hence a higher absolute number - I can only assume that what is considered unsustainable keeps reducing. Given the present SUP which effectively limits usage to 30GB per month peak and 100GB total then the actual amount that PlusNet consider to be unsustainable must be significantly lower than the present SUP values. In this context examining the various statements made previously in various forums as to what was acceptable the limit has steadily reduced.
Ultimately there will have to be a definitive statement as to what is sustainable for the long term when looking at the cost per user.
Some clarity on this would be very welcome.

Edit
Just noticed this in the Vision post
For example some customers constantly downloading large amounts can cost up to £1,800 per month

On my account this is equivalent to 1800GB approx. This is surely impossible.
Even 1800 GB/year is 150 GB/month which the current SUP will have stopped
N/A

Response to Vision Post

Interesting change on the Usenet policy:

Services such as Usenet are also increasing exponentially and some customers have been unhappy with service levels. We are in the process of building in a 15GB allowance of traffic across Usenet internally and externally which will be at a higher priority level than currently. This solution fits the vast majority of customers and their usage patterns (those who use a few GB here and there but want it quickly), and also ensures that the Usenet platform remains a viable and useable system.

Previous suggestions were that Plusnet Usenet would be 15Gb and moved to the silver queue.

However, external binaries would remain in the bronze queue but not subject to any limits other than SUP ones. Now it appears that the external binaries are being moved into the 15Gb allocation, although the comms team had stated that this was too difficult to do.

What will happen if a user is using an external Usenet feed and exceeds the 15Gb allowance?

I can understand why this has been done. With the introduction of SUP I would imagine there has been an increase in Usenet binary downloads and a drop in P2P traffic as it is more SUP friendly (due to your allowance not being hammered by the P2P upstream).

If a user only uses Usenet for binaries, no P2P and the average 7-9Gb it brings the potential usage down from 100Gb to 22-24Gb per month which is a big difference to the bandwidth required by Plusnet.

It also makes it harder to come to break the limits, making it easier for Plusnet to state the account is unlimited.

What's next - 15Gb P2P allowance too?

PS. Previous Usage
Aug-Sep 53.38Gb - heavy by my standards
Sep-Oct 37.62Gb - not excessive by my standards but I think Plusnet don't feel the same.
ceridwen
Grafter

Response to Vision Post

Well, on reading this it appears that PN's vision for 2006 is to finally deliver the greater than 2Mbit speeds which PN announced in February 2005 (implying that they would be available to the majority of customers by the end of summer 2005) and actually started selling in May 2005!!

We will be updating our View My Broadband Usage (VMBU) tool this week so that customers can track their total and peak bandwidth usage. Ideally we would have provided this tool at the same time as introducing the policy, but it was decided it was important to manage the network and improve the customer experience, rather than delay and wait for the VMBU tool to be upgraded

This is the same peak time VMBU which was almost ready (indeed briefly rolled out) back in April? When FUP was withdrawn, many on these forums asked if the peak time VMBU could be implemented anyway, and PN staff agreed it would be a pity it the work went to waste. PN could have had this tool ready long before now if it wanted to.

Matthew
channel
Grafter

Response to Vision Post

Today, in the latest sticky Stewart delivers some significant news for usenet users in the form of a 15Gb hard cap on both internal and external usenet traffic:

We are in the process of building in a 15GB allowance of traffic across Usenet internally and externally which will be at a higher priority level than currently.

Seven days earlier, Dave Tomlinson's bizarre Wizard of Oz sticky said:

We have looked at the possibility of including external binary usenet traffic within the 15GB, but this seems unlikely due to the difficulties in measuring this type of traffic across each customer.

Is anyone else finding this difficult to keep up with, or is it just me?
N/A

Response to Vision Post

This is just taking the urine, a lot of people pay for external newsgroups, i can't believe this isp has sunk so low.
Community Veteran

Response to Vision Post

Such an open post by Plusnet is greatly appreciated. It sets out what Plusnet intend to do about current problems, and also moreover, reading between the lines, it sets out exactly the type of customer PN wish to attract.

To borrow a reference from Kitz’s post a while back, this news of usenet and P2P being allowed at a faster rate until a certain usage level, is certainly what the "Geeks" wanted to hear. However I fear all is not what it may seem.

Plusnet have clearly set out their business model, and many could plainly see what this is. Attracting the low usage, low tech level customer, "standard" if you will.

There is clearly more profit to be made, or at least a greater profit to cost ratio to be achieved by servicing these customers.
Plusnet have achieved in the first half of this year, an increase of around 60% in operating profit, while overhead expenditure increased only 28% - an operation only made possible by placing new customers on existing pipes.

In order to place these new customers on these pipes (plus a single extra 155mb opened since June 2004) something has to give. What gives first is the traffic used by a "minority" compared to the new users. To calculate what constitutes a "minority", it is a simple mathematical exercise - if all the people using P2P or Usenet left, and the revenue received from the number of customers placed onto the pipes in their stead is greater - then it is viable.

As I posted a while back, Plusnet are aiming themselves toward the "budget" market, the users who want broadband, but don’t necessarily wish to take advantage of its full potential.

To be brutally honest, who can blame them? This market certainly seems more profitable, and with around three quarters of the nation still to even take up broadband, there is a huge potential market of these "budget" or "beginner" users out there.

The trouble PN now face is how to change their business to a "budget" ISP model, without those more experienced users who may be disappointed, dissuading people from joining Plusnet in forums or by word of mouth.

As Kitz pointed out, unfortunately for Plusnet it is the Geeks and Leechers that these beginners turn to for advice on selecting their first BB connection provider.

This is why we see the "silver lining" posts - telling of increased speed for Usenet and P2P up to a more sensible limit, tales of future expansion and jam tomorrow. It is in an effort to keep the geeks on side, the very people they know can ruin the reputation.

However with a task such as the new VMBU taking months to develop, a process infinitely more complicated such as recording individual users usage of differing traffic types, then throttling their speed of said types accordingly, is hardly likely to make an appearance any time soon.

We hear from Plusnet time and time again, the expansion of the network capacity is linked to revenue - my understanding of this is that once Plusnet reach a certain revenue per customer level, they open up another segment.
Yet we have seen only one single 155mb segment opened to cope with an influx of over 45,000 new broadband customers during the same period.

We now have an open post from PN setting out in the clearest terms yet that they are moving toward the budget market. What is now required is a revamp of the site, or specifically the sales pitches within the site, to ensure that the correct customer is attracted in order to sustain that business model. Until that happens, we will never see an end to the complaints over speed and other Usenet/P2P related issues.
rammie1976
Grafter

Response to Vision Post

Totally agree with that Chesterfield.

I bet you don't get chosen at random for the customer forum Wink
N/A

Response to Vision Post

Why not. Chesterfield has proven on many occasions to be reasoned and articulate. It is constructive feedback such as this which makes these forums worth participating in.

There are few others out there in whom I would be comfortable articulating my views on the future with Plus Net.

So yes, an ideal candidate for the customer forum and certainly at the top of my list.

Super post.
rammie1976
Grafter

Response to Vision Post

It was a joke - hence the wink.
N/A

Response to Vision Post

Why not. Chesterfield has proven on many occasions to be reasoned and articulate. It is constructive feedback such as this which makes these forums worth participating in.

Totally agree, I still bet he doesn't get chosen at random for the customer forum though Wink
Community Veteran

Response to Vision Post

Thanks for the comments chaps. I do try to keep my posts as short as possible, but my fear is sometimes people skip over them as they see "another chesterfield chapter and verse!" LOL Cheesy

I may be selected I may not. It also remains to be seen when this open forum will be - my workload can be very hectic at times, I tend to have very little "spare time" and I also have holidays coming up. So even if I were selected, there is no guarantee that I would be able to make it anyway..

I'm sure whomever is selected would be allowed to take questions from others anyway wouldn't they?

Maybe another idea could be a sticky, locked topic with a list of vounteers names, the way to have your name added to the list would be to ask a mod to put it there. That way making it much easier for PN to complete the random selection process, as they would have a ready made list without the need to scour the forums to find people volunteering?
Community Veteran

Response to Vision Post

I'll hold off starting one. It's Stewpot's party so I don't want to start organising it for him. He can sticky it himself if needed too Smiley

Chris