cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requesting a lower SNR target on LLU?

sladkart
Grafter

Since I've been moved to LLU my line has been very stable, especially when compared to the nightmare I had on BT Max! However, since the move I've had a reduced sync speed due to the default settings used on LLU ie. 12dB margin, interleaved.

I've been monitoring the SNR on the line and it never seems to drop below about 7/8 dB as can be seen here. So I was wondering if it was possible to request a lower target noise margin - say 9dB ?

Has anyone else requested this and had it successfully changed?

Thanks
Rob
48 REPLIES
James
Grafter

We're currently unable to offer a default noise margin lower than 12dB.

I've been jumping up and down for over 6 months now to get 6 & 9dB margin profiles, and these should hopefully be implemented by the end of the month.

So fingers crossed, we should be able to do this before too long.
sladkart
Grafter

Okay James - thanks for the quick reply. Don't jump up and down too much you might do yourself an injury Wink

I'll keep my fingers crossed then - but just to clarify does 'the end of the month' mean this month January ? and 2007 ? Cheesy
James
Grafter

I'm hopeful so, yes. Tiscali have committed to January 2007, and barring delays, I'd be hopeful that this will actually happen.
dannykos
Grafter

will this change be implemented in the background - or will we need to request a lower target SNR?
James
Grafter

You'll need to request it. We won't implement any changes without a request being made.

It could potentially result in a sync rate improvement of ~1.6mbps, so will be beneficial to some with a steady line.
sladkart
Grafter

Tiscali have committed to January 2007

can we expect this sometime soon James or has it been delayed?
James
Grafter

Soon, yes.

We have development work to do before this is completed, and we're just awaiting some updated figures from Tiscali in order to run our development work. Can't give a timescale currently, but hopefully it won't be much longer.
sladkart
Grafter

Thanks for the update James. I'll try to be patient Wink
Community Veteran

This has been going on since July when I tried to get it reduced on my connection and has been promised almost monthly every since - last promise was for end of Jan and its still not here.

PUGIT item 219
shellsong
Grafter

It could potentially result in a sync rate improvement of ~1.6mbps, so will be beneficial to some with a steady line.

My understanding is that a drop of 6 dB in margin should normally result in a doubling of synch rate within synch capping limits and 3 dB would be equivalent to about 1.4 times the synch rate, so where does that 1.6 Mbps come from?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

I'm not sure how James worked it out, I'd normally say a change of each 3dB will add on about 512kbps as a rough average.
shellsong
Grafter

:roll: Taint how the deciBels I know work! :roll:
sladkart
Grafter

Glad I didn't hold my breath for this Sad

Is there any update on progress for the 6dB and 9dB LLU profiles? There is no info on the PUG site although it is overdue

Next Update has been set to 15-02-2007
James
Grafter

Yup. They're alive! Cheesy

After six months of my jumping up and down about them, we finally got some additional profiles!

What would you prefer? Smiley