cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing postmaster@ mailbox

garywood84
Grafter

In an attempt to try and minimise the effects of the recent spam issue, I'm reviewing the mailboxes I have with Plus and replacing as many as possible with one main mailbox, using aliases to point to that, so that I have fewer spam boxes to check (at least until Plus responds to our requests for an ability to have all spam - regardless of the mailbox it's addressed to - delivered to a specific spam box).

In setting up my new mail solution, I'm not sure what to do with the postmaster@ address. I know this is the default contat address for PlusNet - but if I keep this as an alias pointing to my new mailbox, spam will still get through if spammers use that address.

Is there a way I can specify what address I want Plus to use to contact me, then I can blackhole postmaster@ along with the other mailboxes I'm replacing?

Thanks,

Gary

PS: Plus - I think this question ought to be covered in your FAQ section on the new spam control measures.
11 REPLIES
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

Currently the requirement to check postmaster mail is in the T+C's however we are reviewing this as the policy is a litle outdated.

In the meantime you can add a redirect to send postmaster mail to another (external) address, or you can add it as an alias to any mailbox. The spam filtering should pick up most of the spam anyway before you download the mail. Are you getting the current waves of spam addressed to postmaster, or is it just the odd mail?
garywood84
Grafter

Mandbeckett,

Thanks for this. I've had about 700 mails through postmaster@ today, which is what has prompted me to look for an alternative. I'll set up an alias to one of my new mailboxes for now, though I shall look forward to the outcome of PlusNet's review of this and hopefully you'll allow users to specify which mailbox Plus communications should go to.

On a related matter - have you seen the other thread I started at http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=56266 ?

I, and several other PlusNet users, would appreciate your views on filtering spam into a specified mailbox (rather than a spam folder within each mailbox). Do you have any thoughts on this and if/when it may be implemented?

Thanks,

Gary
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

Personally I like the idea of one spam folder in one mailbox (of my choice).

With this particular implementation we brought the roll out date forward somewhat due to the recent issue, so there was not much time to change anything in terms of the spec.

There are further phases of this project to come, and this is certainly part of the internal discussions as to what should be done, and which work is prioritised.

We'll keep you posted, but I'd recommend voting on this PUGIT issue as we do take feedback from these regularly.
garywood84
Grafter

Thanks for your reply. I've seen the user group posting related to this, but wasn't sure how to vote. Can you tell me how to do it, and I certainly will do so!

Thanks,

Gary
Community Veteran

First you need to register on the PUG forums, login to it then go to the link given above and you can vote. At the top of the PUG forum there is also a link to the issue tracker where you can view and vote on other items.
garywood84
Grafter

petervaughan,

I've registered for th PUG forums and am logged in. But, when I visit the link mandbeckett gives above, I can't see any option to vote - just the number of votes already cast...

Gary
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

There should be a link in the top right hand corner of that page saying 'vote for this item'. This will only show if you're logged in at the time.
garywood84
Grafter

I'm definitely logged in, but there isn't a voting link. However, I've just noticed that IE is reporting an error on the page, which says:

Line: 4
Char: 5
Error: Object required
Code: 0

I've also tried opening the page in FireFox but the voting link still isn't there.

Any more ideas?

Gary
N/A

I've logged into one or two on the day of proposal when I'm sure I haven't voted before and yet had no voting button. I don't know if it's just me, or a technical problem with the site.
Community Veteran

Sorry, I forgot to mention you do need to have set up your UserName / ISP in the 'Prefs' page. Top of page - 'Home' 'New' View' 'Prefs' on the PUG forums.
garywood84
Grafter

petervaughan,

Thanks. I checked back and I can see the voting options on some other ideas but not on the one relating to spam.

I now understand that the option to vote disappears once you have voted, but I'm sure that I never actually voted, since I only signed up to the PUG so that I would be able to vote!

Gary