cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing catch-all not entirely effective.

Anteaus
Grafter

Just thought I'd make a suggestion in view of the recent spam problem:

Removing the catch-all address from an account is not entirely effective in stopping 'randomised' spam.

This is because one email address still exists, logon<at>logon.plus.com - which is 100% predictable if you know the accountname, and which cannot be removed. Thus, a spammer can easily guess this address.

It would be better if there were NO predictably-named mailboxes on an account, or perhaps just one whose name the customer decides at signup, or when opting to remove the catch-all.
3 REPLIES
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

There is the functionality to block the username@username.plus.com mailbox, although at the moment only the CSC can do this.

If you want to go ahead and do this you will need to raise a ticket.
pjemmanuel
Grafter

There is the functionality to block the username@username.plus.com mailbox, although at the moment only the CSC can do this.

I'm quite interested in this as I've never used the username@username mailbox. Is it possible to bin this mailbox and reject all mail heading to it whilst retaining another, differently named catch all address.

At the moment I use only the catch all method, with my main address being firstname@username..... and there are a few others with variations before the @username. I could set up a proper firstname mailbox and then add redirects/aliases of all the addresses I use to it, but from my point of view, that's just a hassle - I'll have to remember to log in with username+firstname, then I'll have to remember to add redirects or aliases every time I invent a new address.

And so after all that, my question. Is it possible to have my default mailbox named firstname@username....., which I can log into using just username, and not username+...whatever, whilst retaining the ability to have everything addressed to username@username... consigned to the electronic dustbin?
Community Veteran

Please can we continue this discussion in this thread;
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=56040

Chilly