cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rejecting email

bj
Grafter

Rejecting email

After almost 4 years with PN my domain name finally seems to have got to the spammers. Over the years I have set a couple or redirects to the PN blackhole but I'm now thinking it could be time to do something with my default address.

I know you can ask CS to redirect your default mailbox to the blackhole but what really happens if you do that? I want the servers to reject mail for my default addresse, not redirect it, so that legitimate senders get a non-delivery report.

Does anyone know what really happens? Is a redirect or reject set up? How can I get it rejected?

I know I'll need to set up a postmaster account.

Thanks in advance.
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Rejecting email

It doesn't redirect them anywhere they just get either regected or just deleted. The latter I think.
bj
Grafter

Rejecting email

Yes. A "redirect" to the blackhole wont actually be a redirect. But what happens? I'd like a definitve answer, no guesses please.
James
Grafter

Rejecting email

The blackhole just deletes email.
bj
Grafter

Rejecting email

Thank you James. Would it be possible to have a reject set up if I asked?

As I understand it rejecting would be better for the relays too - they don't accespt the connection so have less work to do.
James
Grafter

Rejecting email

I'm afriad not. The idea of a blackhole is to stop the level of spam going into your catch all. It would be sensible to advise our of your contacts of a direct email address to get hold of you on, to avoid losing legitimate email.
bj
Grafter

Rejecting email

Thanks again James. I'll make sure I've got "postmaster" working before I put in a request.
avalon
Grafter

Rejecting email

I also was under the impression that mail could be rejected at the first point of contact with the recipients mail servers, returning a "550 Fail - No such user here" message to the originating mailserver.

Surely giving this option to users in the mail system upgrades that are being considered would reduce the load on the Plusnet mail systems.

How can it make more sense to accept the mail into the mailstores and then process and delete the blackholed e-mail for invalid addresses than simply rejecting it in the first instance.

To use an analogy. Say a junk mailer started posting 1000's of postal mail items to Plusnet Towers to people who weren't employees like "ahuwq" or "rjibdsj". Wouldn't it make more sense to tell the postie to send them back as they dont work there rather than take them all in, sift through them to find the few legit ones to names who do work there, and then throw the rest into a wheelbarrow to wheel through the building to the skip out back.
N/A

Rejecting email

I just started getting this today too - I only use 4 plusnet email accounts - is it possible to make sure that anything not using these gets deleted so my inbox doesn't get full of rubbish?
avalon
Grafter

Rejecting email

Yup you can raise a ticket to get your catchall mailbox blackholed.