cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regulating a shared ADSL2000 connection

N/A

Hey all! We're on the 2MB ADSL "Premium" (unlimited) package in our student house. I recently found out that PlusNet are starting to impose regulations on the amount of bandwidth used, which, actually, I'm not really in opposition to. Any "unlimited" service will eventually become unsustainable. It's like an all you can eat restaraunt; get enough people to go there, and suddenly there's a 5 plate limit Wink

In either case, the situation is that there are 7 of us on one connection in our student house. Our usage varies, from just surfing, to full on downloading. What I'd like to know is how best to "limit" the amount of bandwidth that any one computer can suck from the overall connection? I mean is there anything on our BTVoyager router that can do this, or anything in the Member Centre? Basically it'd be nice to leave the connection super fast for surfing, HTML downloading, and internet gaming, but really keep the P2P/Torrents to a sensible minimum. That way, the net stays fast for everyone. I mean we seem to be connected consistently at 1.5 - 1.8, which is great. But it's not feeling like it lately!

Cheers!!
4 REPLIES
N/A

Hi there,

I am not too sure on how the BT Voyager works. At a rough guess I would say that like most routers it will not have an option to limit pc 1234room1 to xxGB bandwidth on port range x > xx.
However you can restrict the over all downloading of P2P and newsgroup by going to "Connection Settings" and clicking on "Surf Access" (or link <<< there). This will restrict your account so that things such as web browsing, emails, chat and gaming are not affected and things like P2P and Usenet are restricted.
For more information on this visit This Support Area on Surf Access and conclude for yourself.

Other than this I can only suggest blocking the ports for the P2P programes between the hours of xx : xx and xx : xx which you should be able to do.

Hope this goes a little way towards helping you with your question.

Regards,
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Not exactly what you want, but Hawking do a "Broadband Booster" which basically prioritises http voip etc over the likes of p2p and nntp.

Phil
N/A

Re: Regulating a shared ADSL2000 connection

Any "unlimited" service will eventually become unsustainable. It's like an all you can eat restaraunt; get enough people to go there, and suddenly there's a 5 plate limit

Well, that's a matter of opinion, not fact, as PN would have you believe... You see, it all depends on how much you charge to get into the restaurant, how much food you lay out, and how many customers you try to cram in Cheesy

To answer your question... Try this

SoftPerfect Bandwidth Manager
N/A

Both very good suggestions indeed.

I was basing my reply around the fact that the OP sounded as though he was using a router to which each individual system was connected. This way round the OP would have to get another system to act as a server/gateway in order to make use of these programes.

Anyway, very good suggestions, theres plenty of info here, it is now up to the OP to choose his/her best way forward.

Regards,