cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regular disconnects outside of the 14 day window?

salis
Dabbler

Hi all

We had our 8Mb upgrade about 5 weeks ago (first/second week of June) and during the 2 week period following disconnects were quite regular. Now its not so bad, except for the period of 2130-[some time - it is fixed by about half 8 in the morning], where I get frequent disconnects. Sometimes this happens as soon as 30 seconds after reconnecting.

Throughout this period, if I look at the modem web interface it usually says the disconnects are because of "Peer abort" or "Physical line error". When the latter is true, the line speeds go down to 0 and then back up to something which is different from the previous.

Any ideas? I'm guessing this is BT not F9, but all the same it is damn annoying. Espcially now we're out of the 14 day period.

Nothing special happens in our house that could trigger this. The modem is on a surge protected multiblock and it isn't triggered by a in-/out-bound phone call from what I've noticed. It just seems to be completely random in reason.
10 REPLIES
salis
Dabbler

Bumpity bump.

Any ideas, or shall I submit a support ticket? *shudder*
astarsolutions
Grafter

The modem is on a surge protected multiblock

From what I understood anything in between the modem and master socket was bad, especially surge protectors.

Do you have micro filters on all the telephone devices in your house, phones, fax machines, sky boxes, old dial up modems, etc...

What speed is your modem syncing at?
salis
Dabbler

The modem is on a surge protected multiblock

From what I understood anything in between the modem and master socket was bad, especially surge protectors.

Ah, I should have been more specific. The surge protection is on the actual mains cable as opposed to the phone line cable.

However the phone socket the modem plugs into is connected via an extension of an extension. I'll give it a try going directly into the master socket.

Do you have micro filters on all the telephone devices in your house, phones, fax machines, sky boxes, old dial up modems, etc...

Yes.

What speed is your modem syncing at?

It varies each time I get disconnected. At the moment 7456Kbps downstream and 448Kbps upstream.
astarsolutions
Grafter

Your connecting at a good speed so I imagine there shouldn't be a line problem; I would raise a fault with F9's automatic fault system, this avoids the hassle of contacting CS.
salis
Dabbler

Ok, I'll give that a shot.

FWIW, the disconnects are still happening even when connected to the master socket.
James
Grafter

Yuk, that doesn't look pretty.

Can you try unscrewing your faceplate from your master socket and insert your filter into the test socket on the bottom half and see if this makes any difference?
salis
Dabbler

Ok, I will give this a try later this evening once the disconnects start happening again.

In the mean time I plan to have the automated fault run the connection check.
James
Grafter

Good plan, batman.
salis
Dabbler

It came back as having failed. There's an orange light on the ADSL dial service status though, but the bulletins in there say that the issue(s) are resolved.

Now to wait for the relevant people to deal with the ticket... Sad
James
Grafter

Did you try the checks as I suggested, or will you be doing those later?