cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regrade Advice/Help

N/A

Regrade Advice/Help

Yes, almost certainly someone somewhere has already answered a similar question and I humbly apologise if this is the case. I have spent the last 30 minutes trawling through many threads, some 10+ pages long and I get the gist of it generally, but really would welcome someone giving me their thoughts on my specific case. Thanks in advance!

Ok, I've been with PN since Feb 2003 on the 512k Premier £21.99pm deal. My download levels are erratic, one month I exceeded 50gb, the next less than 2gb. My average, I think, is about 6gb per month. I like PN, having enjoyed a quality service with no discernible problems and would like to remain with them and avoid the hassle of email changes etc, unless their offerings were wholly uncompetitive. I was with BT before - enough said. I am, however, mightily confused by all the changes and options available and every time I think I've sussed it, it seems the goalposts have moved - that's probably my lack of understanding though.

I understand that if I pay £14.99 now, I can move to 2mb speeds without any further costs. Or, I can wait and get the upgrade free when BT improve my exchange. My exchange is Redditch, should I pay or wait do you think?

Finally, with my usage levels detailed above, should I consider a different option altogether, one where there is a cap and thus lower costs?

I'm sorry, I am just very confused and also ridiculously busy, not having sufficient time to sit and read every single aspect of all this - even if I did, I doubt I'd understand it anyway! :lol:

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give.
24 REPLIES
N/A

Regrade Advice/Help

You are not alone in your confusion.

My thought is that the £15 per month, 2MB account (Broadband plus) should be sufficient, but it will depend on the extent of throttling of those downloading big files rather than just surfing, which at this time is unknown as far as I can tell. But at the moment it is difficult to see the practical advantages of £22, 512k premier account – and even less so when there was also a capacity limit of 30GB etc.

The irksome feature is that, as an existing customer, you will have to pay £15 for the privileged of 'downgrading'. You could save this by resigning and rejoining, but only if you stayed for five years – and who knows what will happen in that time. Perhaps you could explore pretending to resign and saving PN the cost of initialising an ADSL account combined with some time phased penalty clause attached to avoiding the £15 downgrade fee. However, as was explained elsewhere, PN need money to implement improvements; and existing customers are their cash cow.

(BTW I like PN, think they offer a good service, and have recommended them to several colleagues who subsequently joined. Over the last months they do however seem to have lost the thread a little)
N/A

Re: Regrade Advice/Help

My exchange is Redditch, should I pay or wait do you think?

There seems to be 2 exchanges listed for Redditch here with upgrade dates between April and July. It depends on how badly you want an upgrade if you want to "queue jump". Enter the info into the link given for more information.

As for switching accounts, the occasional 50gb month might suggest that you remain on Premier. If your d/l habits dont use a lot of p2p then Broadband Plus might be worth looking at.
N/A

Regrade Advice/Help

I've been told to pay up or wait 6-8 weeks for my upgrade. I'm on 512K and my exchange has apparently been 'done'.
So Ive decided to leave and go to pipex(waiting for MAC).
Pipex have what I want(1Mb) and with no transfer fee and 2 months free, I'm happy.
But then Ive only been with plusnet for a month!
N/A

Regrade Advice/Help

Many thanks for the replies and advice, really appreciate it!

My 50gb download month was a one-off and highly unlikely to happen again, but the occasional month with in excess of 8gb is still possible - plus I am being harassed to join some online gaming thing involving WW2 planes and such like, which apparently means my usage will go up if I succumb.

I really don't want to leave PlusNet, partly because of the hassle, partly because of my loyalty to them for the level of service I've received - I have no complaints at all and have been happy to recommend them to others. As frankp says though, the current state of the communications relating to the changes is less than ideal and from the number of messages asking for advice and help, it seems I'm not alone.

pcnsi - it seems I'm on the "Old Town" exchange which has three DSLAM upgrades to achieve, the last of which is in June. If this means I only have to wait a maximum of 7 weeks, possibly less, of course, it makes sense to wait for the free upgrade - but will it happen immediately, bearing in mind jonmartin's reply? Is it possible or likely that the exchange is upgraded but I have to wait for PN to process the upgrade for several weeks after?
N/A

Regrade Advice/Help

@jonmartin

Which 512 product are you on?

When you say your "exchange" has been done, what do you mean? Plus Net have no control over which dslam or line at the exchange gets upgraded. Check the link I posted above and you will see when BT expect to get around to your free upgrade. Your exchange may require multiple visits, depending on the number of dslams to be done. If you want to circumvent the free process then you will have to pay. Other than that, there is nothing that Plus Net can do, even if they wanted to.

@krobcfc
Probably best to wait untill your line has been upgraded for free.

Unless things change, you will probably know that your line has been upgraded before BT get around to telling Plus net. If you see your modem / router connecting at the faster speed give support a ring or raise a ticket and the "throttling" will be lifted. iirc there will be a tool available soon on the protal to permit you to do this.
N/A

Regrade Advice/Help

Brilliant - many thanks. Cheesy
N/A

Regrade Advice/Help

My neighbour is on demon. He has been told, by demon the exchange has been upgraded as per BTs schedule.(It was scheduled to be upgraded this month) He has now been upgraded from 512K to 1Mbit.
Yes we are on the same exchange and there is only 6 houses in our area.
I can't comment on plusnets support as I have only been with them for a month.
But I can query why I have to wait 6-8 weeks, if the exchange has already been upgraded. Because of this I can only assume it is so that I will, just pay £14.99. Their packages are pretty cheap, so I guess they have to make their money somehow.I don't know what ISPs have to do at their end to enable faster speeds and I don't care.As I've said I'm just(still) waiting to get my MAC so I can move on and get what I'm paying for elsewhere.

There is no real hassle in moving ISP.
N/A

Regrade Advice/Help

Hi,

Its not the exchange that needs upgraded but the dslam that you are connected to if you see what I mean. If you enter your details in the link provided you will see whether the information given to your friend by demon is correct.

If your modem / router is connecting at the faster speed then your line has been upgraded. If it isnt then you line is either incapable of being upgraded or BT havent done the work. Plus Net will not and cannot prevent BT doing this work. It is either done or not.

In terms of the BT schedule, some exchanges due for visits in April have not been done. There is a bit of a delay. If your line is capable of being upgraded then you will receive it.

Plus Net in no way want to hold this back. They are not doing anything deliberately or otherwise to prevent you getting this upgrade.
N/A

Regrade Advice/Help

There is no real hassle in moving ISP.

I suppose it depends on what you see as an inconvenience or not. I moved from BT Openworld, who I'd been with for 6 years, to PlusNet and even 2 years later, there are people I forgot to inform about my new email address, or whom I did inform and infuriatingly ignored the message/lost the email/forgot to change their address book etc etc. I wanted to choose a new ISP where I wouldn't have to deal with all that again and hopefully I got that right by choosing PN. Wink
N/A

Regrade Advice/Help

When I say theres no real hassle, I didn't realise that the reason why plusnet where taking so long to give me my MAC was they've just billed me for the next month.
NICE ONE plusnet.
I guess I'll get that MAC now eh.

Evil
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 69

Regrade Advice/Help

@jonmartin

You would have been billed anyway. We need 30 days notice from the date you request your MAC key. You were billed the day after you requested yours.

TBH, looking at your situation, I am very surprised your leaving. One of my colleagues is likely to give you a call over the next few days to discuss it with you if that's OK?

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

Regrade Advice/Help

My neighbour and I have jumped through hoops to get our 512K limit changed to 1Mbit(mainly my neighbour).So its a bit disappointing after months of emails with BT arguing the case, to have our entries changed, to allow 1Mbit, but not actually have it, is incredibly frustrating. I know it's not plusnets fault, but you can see where I'm coming from.
Just pay the u/g fee I hear you say, but if the exchange is upgraded, what am I paying for?
N/A

Regrade Advice/Help

Personally, I chose to jump the queue and pony up the 15 quid to get BT to enable my eschange for the higher speeds ASAP. I did this because BT aren't exactly reliable when it comes to sticking to their forcast dates. I remember when it was anounced a few years ago by BT that they would be introducing BB to the UK. I put myself on the waiting list to be upgraded. They continually told me that I would be upgraded within 3 months. This went on for three years, lol.

So, if I were u, i'd just take the bull by the horns and pay the extra dough if u can afford it because those dates they give for the expected date of your exchange upgrade may be a lil "fluid", lol.
N/A

Regrade Advice/Help

Hi there,

I know you are saying your exchange has been upgraded but it is the dslam to which you are connected which needs to be upgraded to enable your line to deliver the higher speed.

Your friend may be on a different dslam than you. His may be upgraded, yours may not.

A check of your exchange using the tool I linked to yesterday will tell you how many dslams are in your exchange and how many visits are required before the upgrades are fully completed.

This is not within Plus Nets control.

Let us know what the exchange checker says. If your dslam has been upgraded then thats a different story.