cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Registering a domain name?

N/A

Registering a domain name?

i have just gone through the process to register a .co.uk domain name, it says it is confirming with registar, does anyone know if this domain name when accepted will take the place of my default name provided with my plusnet webspace? (this is what I would like it to do!)
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

RE: Registering a domain name?

> i have just gone through the process to register a .co.uk domain name, it says it is confirming with registar, does anyone know if this domain name when accepted will take the place of my default name provided with my plusnet webspace? (this is what I would like it to do!)

Sean

The Domain name you have registered will be in addition to your logon name.
For example I have www.hmrg.co.uk registered and I still have www.johnessex.plus.com available on my web space.

The way I have used these is to create a folder called hmrg (but this could be any name) within the htdocs space and built my hmrh site inside this folder with a file called index in the folder.
By then going to my domain names your can set the system so that any calls to your registered domain point to the folder that it is in.

So to some up I in effect have two domains.
One located in my htdocs space and this is called by www.johnessex.plus.com
And another in the folder hmrg and this is called by www.hmrg.co.uk

Hope the above helps and good luck wuith website building
--
Regards
John
http://www.hmrg.co.uk
N/A

hi john thanks for replying!

ive set up a folder within the htdocs folder called 'shorn' (the domain I registered is www.shorn.co.uk) I have created an adobe web gallery with pictures that i wish to post up (this is automated and creates the nessacary files, i have uploaded the web gallery to that folder, but when i go to enter www.sean.co.uk and erroe message apprears.
I know the web gallery is ok cos its actually in the htdocs folder as well and can be viewed via the default web address (www.seanuk.plus.com)
I only registered the name today do you think it might take a while to kick in?
it does say in 'domain names' that: shorn.co.uk - registered and hosted

Any help at all please!!?
Thanks again!
N/A

Hi There,

A new domain will normally take 24 - 48 hours after registering for it to become fully active on the Internet. Everything is setup from our side now so you are just waiting for DNS propogation anbd it should start working at any time.

The domain you meant was shorn.co.uk wasn't it?

Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support
N/A

yea the domain should be shorn.co.uk

so when you type in address bar it it
www.shorn.co.uk

so it should be a little while yet til it is active?? the folling error msg comes up when you type www.shorn.co.uk

Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
keywords.keyword.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +448
System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +67
System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +29
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +724

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.0.3705.288; ASP.NET Version:1.0.3705.288

Also the costs for this domain will only be £1 is that right?

Also when i get a proper site up and running can i link to plusnet with a banner?

Many thanks

Community Veteran

> yea the domain should be shorn.co.uk
>
> so when you type in address bar it it
> www.shorn.co.uk
>
> so it should be a little while yet til it is active?? the folling error msg comes up when you type www.shorn.co.uk
>
>
>
>
> Server Error in '/' Application.
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
> Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.
>
> Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
>
> Source Error:
>
> An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.
>
> Stack Trace:
>
>
> [NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
> keywords.keyword.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +448
> System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +67
> System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +29
> System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +724
>
>
>
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.0.3705.288; ASP.NET Version:1.0.3705.288
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Also the costs for this domain will only be £1 is that right?
>
> Also when i get a proper site up and running can i link to plusnet with a banner?
>
> Many thanks
>
>

Hi Sean

As stated by support it does take a day or to for the information about your domain to propagate into the internet.

All you need to make sure of is that the folder you have stored the files in within htdocs is the one that your domain name is pointed to.

This is done by going to the "Account Domain Names" option on the Portal and then chosing the configure option.

If you have already done this then it should all kick in within a day or so.

I assume the Banner you mention is a "Refferals" one. If so you can get all the info on that from the help section of the portal.

Good luck.

--
Regards
John
http://www.hmrg.co.uk
N/A

It seems to be working today, at least from our own Internal DNS servers!

Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support