Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reflection on how +Net "rewards" 5 years of custom

thehenryfamily
Dabbler

Just to add to the discussion about MAXDSL

While it's all well and nice the situation as it is now with PAYG customers on their up to 8mb product getting their upgrades and the queue jump system in place, all of this as far as I've seen Plusnet has never provided adequate address to the issue of customers who joined inbetween July - Sep 2000 who were passed over for upgrades whilst other 2mb accounts in 2003 and later had already been upgraded (not talking about 4mb customers)

I've not been very active on these forums since this issue arouse but basically as far as I can see the situation is basically

- 4/8mb customers who have been on the account for less than a year and a half since the 4/8mb accounts were launched get their upgrades

- PAYG customers who could have been customers for less than 2 years get upgraded

- Broadband Premier 2MB customers who have been paying customers since 2000 in one way or the other are left to either sit in the queue or join the queue jump system which won't get actioned for a month as it is because of PAYG upgrades.

Of course I've registered a queue jump ticket and I'm sure my regrade ticket will get actioned at some point and I have no right to demand an earlier regrade but it just feels like a slap in the face that for these 5 years of paying subscriptions and not creating any hassle, only very occasionally calling tech support and not making a nuisance of myself on these forums that when +net launches a regrade scheme
-They initially say 4/8MB customers first then the rest in order of account length
- 4/8mb customers get their upgrades and then people who joined +net around the same time as me get passed over for upgrades whilst other people with 2MB accounts who have been +net customers get their upgrades
- We get told, "sorry we've changed the system, you'll have to register a queue jump ticket like everyone else"

I'm not complaining about their service but after seeing how the scheme would work initially and getting my hopes up that I would see an early upgrade because of the length of time that i've been with +net and then that not happening and nothing done to redress the situation bar being told to place a Q-Jump ticket that ....

I really do feel like a "valued" customer.

Regards

Craig Henry
29 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Reflection on how +Net "rewards" 5 years of cu

-They initially say 4/8MB customers first then the rest in order of account length

I think there was also a factor concerning billing dates, which made it a bit of a lottery. So there's a degree of "unfairness" for pretty much anything which is done - even the "queue" being announced early in the afternoon was given the thumbs down because it was impossible for someone on a 9-5 day to join the queue as early as some who lurk here (or on ADSLguide) all day.

I've been with PN for a while, but know someone whose line has been regraded (ironic, because he has plans to cancel anyway, but is on a world tour and it had not been done beforehand). His billing date was around 11/04. Mine was back on 02/04 and it was touch and go that I'd get my product change. I'm on PAYG so part of the delaying factor for those on Premier, and yes, one of the reasons I switched from Broadband Plus to PAYG was the statement back in October about priority for the regrade.

The queue jump is a factor a fraction of users know about, because details have not gone out to everyone, but people who have seen mention are those looking on web discussions, or check newsgroups, for service announcements, or have signed up for service announcements by e-mail (from usertools.plus.net). It's as closely guarded a secret as for those poor mutts paying 29.99 a month a year back when the 21.99 accounts came in.
N/A

I agree completely with thehenryfamily. It was nice to see (for a change) that they were going to reward long standing customers with an upgrade first, but then they changed it to the disadvantage of us.

But plusnet are a business and I guess I shouldn't expect any customer loyalty off them.

The only suggestion I have is to process the queue jumpers first, therefore getting rid of some of the flak from the people who read the forums. The problem is plusnet have already chosen a upgrade strategy, which means they might change it in 5 minutes Cheesy
Community Veteran

But plusnet are a business and I guess I shouldn't expect any customer loyalty off them.

Would be curious to see if the rate of referrals has dropped this week.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Alecto
Grafter

It's also known that the businesses that survive are those who look after their customers.
There is only so much "churn" you can do on customers and then you've been through them all. And if badly treated, they're not likely to come back.

Perhaps the current Pn senior management don't plan on being around long enough to reap what they have sown? :roll:
N/A

PAYG customers were promised 8 meg accounts and so plusnet have bowed to pressure to upgrade them first.
I can't disagree with that.

I agree totally with you on the attitude to longstanding customers however.
As Adsl home self-install at @£21.99 it would appear that we are not in the queue at all until such times as plusnet decide to 'change over our account'.

I have gained no assurances that we will even get 8 meg
I've registered a queue jump ticket too but am not sure even that will get me a speed increase. Accounts in order on length of service do not come into it.
Back of the queue for 2meg last time - back of the queue for 8 meg

Any plusnet staff care to comment?
N/A

hiya peeps
feel just as bad as you lot being here a while
not aslong as others thou

have tried the old customer bit on ticket system
and threatened to leave
but failed all i got was we got 200,000 customers
could be weeks or months b4 upgrade then i seen
queue jumpers still after wait after payg approx 1 month
i tried but i gave up with no date forthcoming

ps: plusnet was faultless when i joined shame it changed

so got my MAC code yesterday I am of to pastures new
you all takecare peeps

good luck on your upgrades

bowing out slowly --------gone

Rob Cool
N/A

PAYG customers were promised 8 meg accounts and so plusnet have bowed to pressure to upgrade them first.
I can't disagree with that.

I agree totally with you on the attitude to longstanding customers however.
As Adsl home self-install at @£21.99 it would appear that we are not in the queue at all until such times as plusnet decide to 'change over our account'.

I have gained no assurances that we will even get 8 meg
I've registered a queue jump ticket too but am not sure even that will get me a speed increase. Accounts in order on length of service do not come into it.
Back of the queue for 2meg last time - back of the queue for 8 meg

Any plusnet staff care to comment?

That's the package I was on. This method of queue jumping ONLY works for those with 512KBit or 1MBit connections.

Upgrade your account to BB Premier 1 and select I would like the fastest speed my line can support.

PlusNet submit it as a normal regrade and charge the BT regrade fee of £14.99 and it is put through like a 2MBit regrade. However, ticking that box means BT jusr set it for a max regrade giving you MaxDSL. I did this and my max was enabled this morning - sync'ed at 5728Kbps having placed my order on the 17th April (7 day regrade time). My billing date is the 28th should anyone ask, so I wasn't even due to have an order submitted until the 28th. Oh well, I'm enjoying Max now Cheesy
N/A

I did the same as above as I was on 1Mbit also. My billing date had passed, I was paying for 2meg business broadband but I dont think I was scheduled to be upgraded until September.

I chose the 14.99 regrade fee so I can have it done now when everything is quiet here, and not at an undisclosed time and date in the future. Possibly when I really require a steady net connection.

The order was put through on the 21st so hopefully something will be happening by Friday.

Its a bit like a post code lottery. If you were unlucky enough not to get 2MB your now lucky because you can regrade instantly to Max. If you were lucky enough to get 2MB+, your Max connection is going to take a while to arrive. Also depending on your billing date (I believe customers that are on 1st-10th of this month were missed due to technical difficulties so this will happen next month). How long you have been a customer and what package your on.

Unfortunately there will always be oddities because most of this is done robotically and not manually. If it was all done manually I am guessing alot of these errors wouldnt of occured, then again... lol

I guess it all comes down to luck at the end of the day, like most things. We try to eliminate luck and give everybody the equal chance at everything but it never seems to work.

All I can say is I got my DSL regrade done, next day I won the lottery. Must of had a lucky 24 hours as a big spot grew out the middle of my head the next day (just when I was going back to college) lmao :lol:
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Reflection on how +Net "rewards" 5 years of cu

While it's all well and nice the situation as it is now with PAYG customers on their up to 8mb product getting their upgrades and the queue jump system in place, all of this as far as I've seen Plusnet has never provided adequate address to the issue of customers who joined inbetween July - Sep 2000 who were passed over for upgrades whilst other 2mb accounts in 2003 and later had already been upgraded (not talking about 4mb customers)

I think this was addressed in the FAQ (my bold):
Q) Why have there been so many different upgrade plans mentioned?
A) Because it is a complicated process, partly down to us trying to be fair to loyal customers which created the need for a more complicated process, and secondly down to BT redefining the process repeatedly as to how many orders we will be allowed to place. There has also been some internal miscommunication which has not helped the matter at hand.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

My point is that it should be unnecessary for me to upgrade my account to premier or any other package.

I joined in Nov 2002. Where is their new policy on rewarding long standing customers if I am going to left until last unless I change my package.
The FAQ's that have been posted refer repeatably to ALL customers, not all customers except longstanding ones such as adsl home. They just prefer to forget about us every time in the hope that we will be forced to upgrade to one of the newer products.
I find myself looking for the hidden meanings in everything plusnet say.
This from a company I have recommended to many in the past. We are now treated as if we didn't exist in the hope that those problem accounts (legacy accounts) will dissapear with their disgruntled users.

Exchanges are being changed to the new LLU's and this will cost £58.75 to change back as a cease and reprovide if we wish to change back to an ISP who uses BT Wholesale. Like drawing teeth to get that info from plusnet.
This in effect will act as a tax to opt out.

Premier and all the other products will eventually be old accounts - will you be happy to be ignored when they become the legacy accounts of the future.
jagger
Grafter

I had all this back with the 2 meg upgrades.

Felt the same about it as you did.Had to hassle them to actually get done.

Sorry,they said.We forgot about you.Only a few of you involved though,they said.

Finally got 2meg in November,after being promised it in February.Then got dumped on the defective metronet pipe for my trouble.Outstanding customer care that was.

So,as you probably guessed by now,I'm not holding my breath for the "doing you in order of joining" regrade to Max,because there have been so many "add to's" to that list that I must have slipped most of the way to the back of the queue by now.

Don't believe a word that Plusnet say.Treat whatever they do say as a platitude and the stress levels will be lower.
Grimbo
Grafter

I know how you feel... September 1998 for me.

I pulled out my spending on Force9/Plusnet and it amounts to over £2500 (remember, ISDN and early ADSL were very expensive back then).

Anyway, my loyalty means diddly squat to Plusnet, who can't even answer a ticket I raised 6 days ago, let alone give me preferencial treatment which won't cost them anything!

What goes around comes around. Just look what is happening to McDonalds... As Subways are appearing everywhere, McDonalds are busy closing their restaurants.
N/A

December for me on the 2 meg upgrade.
I do not believe that there were just a few isolated cases of home self-install being missed. The fact that they forget you in the first place is testament to their attitude in looking after lonstanding accounts.

Dave
N/A

I've been given IP Stream MAX now, so I just requested my MAC code and will be investigating a new supplier. If I don't leave, well the MAC key expires anyway after 30 days so I'll not lose anything having it.

However I think I am off - 2.5 years of happy service ruined in the last 2 months.