cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Referral banners contain bad link

N/A

I'm disappointed to see that when anyone clicks the PlusNet banner on my Website a mhart gets the 50p. I have replaced the banner, and have tried using the e-mail link, but still mhart is the benefficiary.

What's more sad is that PlusNet have not been able to offer any help to enable me to refer them or correct past errors. Any one else had this problem ?

P.S. If mhart is reading this, you owe me a beer mate !
17 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

This is something that you should raise a ticket about, as if the referal links under the 'Make a Referral' portion of the website should have the correct details for your account. If you're testing this locally, I would suggest clearing your cookies before clicking on the banner, as its possible that there is a cookie from someone else still on your machine.
N/A

I referred a colleague to +net and have still to see any money coming back from + for this......
N/A

This is something that you should raise a ticket about, as if the referal links under the 'Make a Referral' portion of the website should have the correct details for your account. If you're testing this locally, I would suggest clearing your cookies before clicking on the banner, as its possible that there is a cookie from someone else still on your machine.

I have raised a ticket, but I'm afraid I remain dissatisfied. Clearing all cookies was the initial responce but that really is not good enough because:

1. If I clear all cookies, I loose the account numbers, passwords etc for scores of Websites. I can't believe a cookie other than PlusNet's could cause this issue.

2. As a test I tried clicking through my banner from a brouser I have never used for PlusNet access (IE. FireFox is my browser of choice) - same problem occured.

3. I'd be happy clearing all PlusNet cookies if I was told which ones to clear.

4. I has an e-mail link sent from the PlusNet server, and even that had mhart as the referrer.

I am also peeved that even though I phoned support at the time I was experiencing this last (it has happened 3 times i think) the respondee to my ticket refused to transfer the referal from mhart back to me.
swapmeetpete
Grafter

The same thing has started happening to me today, referral defaults to mhart. Cleared cookies immediately, doesn't make any difference. Happens with both banner and ordinary signup through PN portal.
tumnus
Grafter

How do you know who the referral is going to? I have a referral link on my website but clicking on it just takes me to the product homepage.
Laser
Grafter

How do you tell that the referral fee has gone elsewhere?

I get info to say N people have clicked my web banner. I'd assume if they signed up, PN would then associate the fee with me. Where are you seeing this mhart name?
N/A

How do you know who the referral is going to? I have a referral link on my website but clicking on it just takes me to the product homepage.

You don't - that's one of the problems. I did ask to see a list of the account names (not even people's names, mind you) for which I was the nominated referrer. Even though I was meant to have referred them myself, PlusNet told me that the Data Protection Act prevented them divulging that information !

It seems the referral scheme has now been superseded by the Partner program. Same benefits, but you don;t loose the benefit if you choose to migrate away from PlusNet.

FWIW, last time I referred someone I found that I was the referrer - my account name was listed at the end of the signup page. Of course, I only saw this as I signed the referee up personally !

I wonder if mhart works for PlusNet.
JonathanW
Grafter

The only way to see who is being entered as the referrer is to check during the signup process, as the last page that asks you to confirm your details will tell you who the referral is being given to. Best way to check this for yourself is click on one of your referral links and then sign up for a free Pay Go account.

If you think there is a problem with your banners, I'd suggest copying the code from the Make A Referral section of the portal again. Then if this is still not working as you think it should, raise a ticket via link:contact us.
swapmeetpete
Grafter

Ticket raised; the banner is now defaulting to asking for the referrer, so it's still broken but at least I could complete the signup without losing the referral.
N/A

it would be interesting to see how many referrals this mhart character has. He must be making a mint.
swapmeetpete
Grafter

it would be interesting to see how many referrals this mhart character has. He must be making a mint.

Maybe we should ask him? He's been on this forum so there's no reason to think he's anything other than a genuine plusnet subscriber like ourselves.

--

See my unique landing pad at http://www.swapmeetpete.com
tumnus
Grafter

I get info to say N people have clicked my web banner. I'd assume if they signed up, PN would then associate the fee with me.

Ah, I didn't see that count of email, banner, and webmail referrals before. My banner referral count is at 11 so I guess mine is working. I take it the cookie is used to stop the count from going up with multiple clicks from the same PC as it doesn't go up if I click my referral link.
N/A

Indeed,

When someone clicks on a banner or email link they have a cookie placed on their machine for 10 days which will associate their machine with your account being the referrer ( or Mr. mhart in some circumstances it would seem ).

My counters too acknoledge that I have visited and clicked on the banner I have on my site, but I have yet to see if my account name is the one the payments or credits are made to ( all previous referals are all check ).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Cookie life now 90 days - see this announcement
http://usergroup.plus.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1901