cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Referral Banner - only 10 day cookie

N/A

Referral Banner - only 10 day cookie

We are encouraged to use plusnet's "Referral Scheme" however, when you place a banner on your website for this purpose the cookie only lasts a measly ten days. That means if somebody clicks on a banner that you have placed on your website, then thinks on it for a bit, and then signs up on day 11 then you won't get a penny ,but PlusNet get their custom.

It probably takes more than ten days to make a valued decision to change service provider. This ten-day expiry is clearly there to exploit this - so in effect Plusnet are getting free advertising.

I'm currently getting 140 hits per day average through by plusnet referral banner ads, but I'm only getting about three extra referrals a month. Perhaps the method of tracking cookies is not working?

Trys
2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Referral Banner - only 10 day cookie

> We are encouraged to use plusnet's "Referral Scheme" however, when you place a banner on your website for this purpose the cookie only lasts a measly ten days. That means if somebody clicks on a banner that you have placed on your website, then thinks on it for a bit, and then signs up on day 11 then you won't get a penny ,but PlusNet get their custom.
>
> It probably takes more than ten days to make a valued decision to change service provider. This ten-day expiry is clearly there to exploit this - so in effect Plusnet are getting free advertising.
>
> I'm currently getting 140 hits per day average through by plusnet referral banner ads, but I'm only getting about three extra referrals a month. Perhaps the method of tracking cookies is not working?
>
> Trys

Hi there,

The expiry time is indeed set to 10 days, this is not done in anyway to penalise our customers, the referral scheme has been a great success and provides a benefit to both ourselves and our customers. It is considered by many to be bad practice to use cookies with longer expiry times so we felt that 10 days was a good compromise, we can look into extending this however. If someone does signup who you have referred and the cookie has expired on their machine then they will see the box to enter a referrer during signup (this doesn't appear if the cookie is active) so you can advise them to enter your username and this will generate the referral.

Regards,
Rob

| Robert Kelly...............Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +

N/A

RE: Referral Banner - only 10 day cookie

> > We are encouraged to use plusnet's "Referral Scheme" however, when you place a banner on your website for this purpose the cookie only lasts a measly ten days. That means if somebody clicks on a banner that you have placed on your website, then thinks on it for a bit, and then signs up on day 11 then you won't get a penny ,but PlusNet get their custom.
> >
> > It probably takes more than ten days to make a valued decision to change service provider. This ten-day expiry is clearly there to exploit this - so in effect Plusnet are getting free advertising.
> >
> > I'm currently getting 140 hits per day average through by plusnet referral banner ads, but I'm only getting about three extra referrals a month. Perhaps the method of tracking cookies is not working?
> >
> > Trys
>
> Hi there,
>
> The expiry time is indeed set to 10 days, this is not done in anyway to penalise our customers, the referral scheme has been a great success and provides a benefit to both ourselves and our customers. It is considered by many to be bad practice to use cookies with longer expiry times so we felt that 10 days was a good compromise, we can look into extending this however. If someone does signup who you have referred and the cookie has expired on their machine then they will see the box to enter a referrer during signup (this doesn't appear if the cookie is active) so you can advise them to enter your username and this will generate the referral.
>
> Regards,
> Rob
>
> | Robert Kelly...............Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Technical Support......................for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +
>
>
>

The whole idea of a banner is so that people don't have to be prompted for an username!!!!!! Yes - the cookie life of 10 days does need to be lengthened to something more reasonable (like 28 days).

Trys