cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reducing bandwidth on Broadband Home Lite

Community Veteran

Here's the scenario.. today is the last day of my billing period, so I looked at my VMU data to see how much data I'd used. It turns out that thus far I'd used 2.2GB, out of my 3GB inclusive each month. And at that rate, there was no way I'd be using it all up today! So, having been told that we can change our plan at any time in the month to suit our current bandwidth requirements, I thought I'd downgrade to 2GB inclusive bandwidth, which would mean that 0.2GB would be charged at the "pay as you go" rate.

Wrong.

I now know - only after I have now downgraded my account to 2GB - that it is only upgrades which function immediately - downgrades in bandwidth do not. Great. So that means that this month I'm going to be charged for 3GB when I only really want 2GB. If I'd upgraded my account the extra GB would have been put on immediately - so I don't see why if I downgrade the extra GB can't be taken off immediately.

The most annoying aspect of this is that there was no indiction of this in the Broadband Home FAQ. I only discovered to my dismay that the downgrade wouldn't take effect immediately once I'd received the downgrade confirmation screen, seen that it said it would happen on the next billing date, and gone to Contact Us to query it - where I found a nice little FAQ, which would have been useful to include in the "real" FAQ!

Thomas
9 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

I may be confused, but isn't it cheaper paying for the 1MB as 3GB inclusive, rather than 2GB with 1GB extra?
Community Veteran

Not when you've only used 2.2GB - or am I missing something? :?

Thomas
Community Veteran

Hmm - I've just realised - have I been assuming that you only get charged per part GB when you go over, whereas in fact you get charged for the full GB? :?

Thomas
N/A

I thought 1GB was the smallest charging unit, so if you reduced your initial allowance down, you'd be charged at the higher rate for the extra 1GB.

Aaron
Community Veteran

Hmm - if that's the case, then that's two things that need to be made clear in the FAQ: One is that you pay for one full GB even if you just go 1MB over, and the other that you can't downgrade bandwidth instantly like you can when you upgrade your bandwidth.

I thought the flexibility of BB Home Lite was too good to be true. :?

Thomas
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

You pay in advance for your included bandwidth, so by downgrading you are telling us you want less bandwidth for next month as you've already paid for this month's.

You are charged for a extra GB when you start using that GB, not when you've used the whole GB and added another one.
N/A

Hi
On the subject of downgrade, I have had similar problems. requested a downgrade from 3G to 2G at the time the problems with VMU came to light, was told the downgrade would happen at my next billing date which was 7th Oct. the downgrade did not happen, so I raised a ticket, the answer was that the downgrade would take place a my next billing date of the 7th Nov. So I am waing for the 7th Nov to see if the downgrade does in fact take place. Its not a major problem, only a small saving but a saving. I put the delay down to all the problems with VMU. :roll:
Community Veteran

Ok, thanks Dave - as I say, maybe worth adding to the real FAQ (not just the one in CU, which seems to be different) - because that caught me out. :?

Thomas
lowry
Grafter

I'd agree with Thomas that it would probably be good to add it to the Broadband Home FAQ.

matt Wink