Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reconciliation ?

Metalguru
Grafter

Reconciliation ?

Reconciliation?

Team.

After the many threads here, either slagging of +Net, (and no I'm not forgetting the occasional ones praising them) I feel that although the chasm is wide, and both parties are firmly entrenched in their respective positions, at some stage, a reconciliation process needs to start.

As such I felt it would be appropriate to start a thread that may kick of that process.

What can be done by both parties to bring them closer together ?

A couple of posts in other threads already suggest that +Net should re instate the +Net 2, and / or stop changing their T&C's without full customer consultation.

But reconciliation is all about reaching a happy medium. What can the aggrieved customers offer +Net?

Withdrawing their threatened legal / Trading standards action ?

Agreement to keep this matter "in house"?

Any other suggestions ?
What can either party do to gradually bring this matter to an agreeable conclusion ?

Lets stop shooting at each other and get out of our trenches and start playing football.

After all, at the end of the day what both parties want, is a top notch Broadband ISP.
49 REPLIES
N/A

Reconciliation ?

I will willingly shut up as soon as PN notify all Premier customers about the new tariffs and what they are actually getting for their hefty "Up-to-4/8MB" monthly premiums.

Simon
Metalguru
Grafter

Reconciliation ?

Well that sounds good for starters.

+Net tell their Premier Punters about the new tarrifs, and Simon (and hopefully Wade too) agrees to keep this all "in house".

How about it +Net ?
N/A

Reconciliation ?

I agree with your sentiment but believe that a happy medium does not exist. The prblems seem to stem from +Net's requirement to make money/not make a loss while the customer wants (some anyway) to be online all the time and download as much as they want. Obviously, each customer has a different requirement and I think this previously used to balance out the loads etc. However, we now face a growing trend of downloading (legal or otherwise, I am not entering into that debate here) and I think +Net face problems in dealing with the issues at hand.

When the FUP was announced it had clearly defined guidelines but remained flexible and I thought this was great. Others did not think so but I cannot see how anyone can think it is justified to use unlimited bandwidth all the time. I used to use a lot of bandwidth with the same mentality ("I pay for it, so I'll use it") but when it was apparent that I may be the cause for other people having slow speeds etc. I reconsidered my position. I have lowered my usage considerably in the last 6 months. I did not do so because I was contacted by +Net, which has not happened and hopefully never will, but out of respect for other people "sharing" my service.

In my view the FUP would have solved a lot of the problems that +Net are trying to solve now. There were several reasons given by +Net at the time of scrapping the FUP and it was their choice to do so. Since then, there has been little to praise as week to week a new idea is introduced by +Net and trouced by the userbase. The latest 'idle timeouts' seems to fly in the face of 'always on' broadband and really doesn't make much sense in the reality of the people it has been aimed at. I have recently wondered what decision making process there is at PlusNet? I'm sure these ideas are not generated for free and must come from a panel of people but sometimes the ideas sound very 'strange'. Then, instead of saying to the userbase, "Hey, we're thinking about this..." they go and change t&cs anfd then act surprised when people start to shout about it. Don't get me wrong here, I think +Net, as a business does not have to discuss their every move with the userbase but an indication of plans would not go astray.

We have been told that +Net depends on our views and our recommendations to gain new customers so why do they seem so intent on doing things to aggravate the current userbase? A quick view of the forums does not paint a very nice picture of customer relations at the moment. The fallout has already begun, have you lookes at theregister.co.uk today? I have been a happy customer for a good few years now but recently I have wondered why I stay? I can get a better service elsewhere so why don't I just up and leave? I'll tell you why: I believe that PlusNet can turn this around and get themselves back to the top but there is going to be a lot of work required in terms of customer relations and policies before this can happen. I have decided to wait until the new year and see how things are going. If at that time, things are no better or worse then I will walk.
N/A

Reconciliation ?

Well that sounds good for starters.

+Net tell their Premier Punters about the new tarrifs, and Simon (and hopefully Wade too) agrees to keep this all "in house".

How about it +Net ?

Companies should never give in to people who throw tantrums and make demands.

Regarding the people who are still paying £39.99, It is up to these customers to find out for themselves about the new tariffs, if they are happily still paying £39.99 for broadband then that is their problem.

There are adverts in the papers, magazines and on TV every day, from other ISPS advertising broadband for prices around £17.99 - £29.99 so surely any person with common sense would check the plusnet portal to see if plusnet have changed their prices?

I understand that it would be nice if they emailed these customers and told them that they could downgrade to a package which was cheaper but that's life, very few companies would do such a thing.

I feel that anyone who is paying £39.99 for 1or2mb broadband in this day and age only has themselves to blame, especially as you consider broadband speeds are getting faster and prices are coming down, customers need to keep themselves informed better and take the time to educate themselves about the new products & prices on the market.
N/A

Reconciliation ?

westerlea, I think that most people will accept your views as reasonable.
What caused most of the rumpus was a retraction of a promise to inform customers of lower rates.

However, what is not reasonable is the selling of expensive products (4 & 8Mb) that do not exist, with vauge promises of coming soon and silly claims of being first in the queue.
I can think of no defence for this whatsoever.
N/A

Reconciliation ?

the offer is there in writing plusnet
Community Veteran

Reconciliation ?

This thread is exactly what we need, not a thread to moan about plus or for plus to say we can't do that, but somewhere for both parties to be constructive and pull plusnet out of the hole they are digging.

By moaning we are going nowhere.

Anyway, will keep an eye onthis thread and post if I think of anything.
N/A

Reconciliation ?

Most opf us can move and there are good ISP's out there at compeitive prices, so I think that Darlek net need to make some strong posts on here and then I will add some comments, but they need us, we don't need them. So PN here's you chance to doing something positive and move forward. But who will give me odds that they will?
N/A

Reconciliation ?

Looks like anything from Darlek went down like a lead balloon. Don't hold your breath homeaga1n for any changes from them, you might get very red faced.
Community Veteran

Reconciliation ?

@revroger, keyword here is constructive ;-) both parties need to be constructive, it's in plusnet's interest to be so as if they aren't they will lose many more customers.
N/A

There's good & bad in all of them

I think the issue with +Net is indicative of all ISP's, they all have their plus points (er.. no won't bother..) and their minuses.

When looking for a good service there are some basics -

1/ Are they up-front with all their costs from step one?

2/ Do they set up the service, & supply good support & hardware (if applicable) to do it, in an efficient and timely manner?

3/ Will the service continue to be administered on the same terms as the one you signed your contract for?

4/ Do they accept negative feedback and act on it, or accept positive and consolidate in those areas?

The problem for +Net at the moment, using the forums and public opinion as a barometer, is that they fail in more areas than they succeed at this moment. That's not to say many things can't be rectified - it just takes the will to do it. I for one am willing to hang around a while and see how they handle it, it's still early days.

As I'm a 2mb PAYG customer who has no wish or need for P2P at the moment, the new shaping issue isn't much to concern me personally; however my take is that there is obviously a need for another approach to the problem of downloading leeches, because whatever you might say, a hobby that requires 100Gb+ month in d/l's is more like a business requirement, and those individuals should pay for an elite service at an elite cost so measures don't have to be implemented that punish the majority of reasonable use customers.

Just going back to the 'water meter' analogy, yes, they are effective in helping people to become more economical & considerate with their usage, however the implementation implied here is to throttle the entire neighbourhoods' water supply to a trickle because some idiot wants to leave a bath tap on 24/7. If you have a need for serious quantities of water, you pay commercial rates and are supplied accordingly. On the other hand, if +Net originally implied, overtly or by omission, to obsessive downloaders that their service was fit for that purpose, they have only themselves to blame, and should take their knocks, not give them out to the rest of us.

It was mentioned in this thread that the company has no obligation to tell you there is a cheaper comparable service, which is legally and logically true. But isn't that where loyalty is supposed to be rewarded with goodwill? It's standard practice for a company you buy goods from on a regular basis to offer you a discount or reward for your continued business. The rationale with +Net at the moment is 'stay loyal or it'll cost you more'. Hardly encouraging.

I acknowledge one thing, the single most encouraging thing in fact - they continue with this forum despite the whacks they are taking, hopefully it is a sign that someone, somewhere, is reading, learning, and willing to do something.
Community Veteran

Reconciliation ?

Maybe one of the comms team might want to comment here?
Metalguru
Grafter

Reconciliation ?

Come on +Net Comms team.

We'er not asking you to eat ALL the humble pie.

But a little nibble from the crust at the edge.
Well that would be good for starters.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Reconciliation ?

Thank you all for the feedback you have given here, I will pass it on.

We have already made our position very clear on the issues presented in this thread however, and I don't think there is anything we can add to this discussion at present.