cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations - Scheduling software (avoid peak time d/l)

N/A

Can anyone recommend downloading software (be it usenet, p2p, web downloading, etc) where it can be scheduled to start the downloading at a certain times?

I am not a big downloader but if I can take the heat of the '30gb limit times' , I will. In fact, it may not do a lot of harm to schedule stuff for off peak times even if I have loads of room in the 30gb limit

Edit PS - preferably freeware! Wink
22 REPLIES
N/A

Hi
If you are running winxp go to Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Scheduled Tasks and follow the prompts.
Cant remember with win98.

Hope this helps.

Oops typo
N/A

currently trying netants for http ftp downloads, has start and stop scheduling.

would love other suggestions though!
N/A

You could always try Netlimiter too. It allows you to schedule download speeds per connection or application.[
N/A

N/A

Re: Recommendations - Scheduling software (avoid peak time d

Can anyone recommend downloading software (be it usenet, p2p, web downloading, etc) where it can be scheduled to start the downloading at a certain times?

Two programs I have found work well for scheduled downloads are:

GetRight or Reget

Not freeware but are available if you know where to look.
N/A

I've seen good reviews for Leechget though haven't tried it. It seems to have nice features and is spyware free:

http://www.leechget.net/en/

The free version only allows downloading one file at a time. The paid version allows simultaneous downloads and is only 17 Euros.
N/A

Freebyte Task Scheduler Freeware Can recommend it,Ivan

Hello,

I have downloaded and tested the "freebyte task scheduler" it works very well but is perhaps a little basic in one or two respects but it works very reliably and very consistently. I have been using it in conjunction with AVG free version 7.0 to perform mutiple anti virus scans (as the free version of AVG 7.0 only allows for x1 major scheduler system scan but I wanted to set up x3 or x4 per day).

Anyway the freebyte task scheduler is completely freeware and can be downloaded from: http://www.freebyte.com

**Note: The task sheduler that comes with windows 2000 or XP wont allow for complex additional parameters or command line switches, it just annoyingly refuses to accept them, where as the freebyte program allows for command line switches to run applications in a more sophisticated fashhion.

Definately would give it 8 or 9 out of 10 rating.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
The True power of knowledge is when its shared.
N/A

I hope nobody minds me doing a 'bump' to this thread - I am still looking for a binary newsreader that can be scheduled in some way so that I can e.g. go to bed at 11pm and know that it will start downloading at midnight (to coincide with the off-peak period). I see the task scheduling software and it can start-up a newsreader but can not deal with any 'do you want to resume download'-type prompts.

Is there any way to do this and is there any way to do this easily without complex command-line prompts and the likes? Any advice still appreciated!
JJ
Grafter

Glad you bumped it I was just about to start a new thread.

I too could do with an easy to use utility to record what I want to down load, regardless of protocol, and then do it automatically after midnight, and handle the 'do you want to proceed requests'. Just press go and forget.

Even a suitable news reader would be a start.

John H
N/A

Yup, and with a lot of ISPs going the 'do your downloading off-peak' route, I see a bit of a niche for a software developer to build a newsreader program with a built-in scheduler!
paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Try BNR 3 - you can mark binaries for download then close the programme down. Start it with windows scheduler for whatever time you want and it will download the marked files to whatever directory you choose. It's freeware and supported via a users forum.

http://www.bnr2.org/

Paul
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I've used Binary News Reader, pretty simple to use - though the User Interface in a little basic and confusing in places. Can't complain for free though.

However it might not be as useful in a couple of weeks, once the in-house binary server is axed :x
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I remember seeing a usenet client with a scheduler a while ago, I think it was called BinaryBoy or something similar. For BitTorrent uTorrent has a built in scheduler which I've used and works quite well.
N/A

Free Download Manager for ftp/http downloads.