cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recently throttled, read this maybe of some benefit to you

N/A

I was effected by the recent intial throttling immediately after PN announced it's new SUP. I raised a ticket & promised to cut down on my peak time usage (as you can see below) & stay within 100gb (the maximum amount for a 2mb connection).

However, no more than a week into my new monthly bill cycle (21 - 20 of each month) I received this beauty below.

Basically PN have noted I used 27.25gb last week & have decided to times that figure by 4 & predict with their new super duper fandangled "PN Crystal Ball" (trademark pending) that I would have exceeded my 100gb cap for the month even though the month end for me is another 3 weeks away! On this Mystic PN Meg decided to put me on 24/7 management (see below).

As stated above I had another three weeks left for this month but rather than wait to see if my usage went down they automatically throttled me. I was in no way notified by PN that after the intial ban my usage would be monitored on a weekly basis & further ban would be actioned if I exceeded 25gbs in a week. There is nothing in the SUS policy to back this new goalpost & the customer services rep. I spoke to agreed likewise stating that it's definently something that should be clearly noted on the new SUS policy.

Once the intial ban was lifted PN should have informed me of their intention to monitor my account in this way. Instead they chose to throttle me for not playing by new rules they had recently made up without telling me. Had they told me it was their intention to monitor my account in this new mannor I would not have gone over 25gbs in 7 days.

Yet again PN have changed the goal posts with no prior warning so any of you who were effected by the initial throttling I strongly advise you to check your usage & divide your total allowance by 4 & your total peak allowance by 4 & make sure that if say you have a 100gb allowance that you are under 25gb for this week or you to could come home to the nasty surprise below.

The have since lifted the 24/7 management they imposed today as I upgraded to their 8mpbs service today (even though my line can only support 2mpbs!) I'd rather have a max. allowance cussion than be subjected to more unecessary caps as PN don't have any faith in their customers to abide by the new SUS policy.

Even after all of this in a space of a couple of weeks why am I choosing to upgrade & stay. Well, better the devil you know for the time being.

F2S sounds all very rosey but where's their SUS policy? There isn't one so the last thing I want is to move & face another wrist slapping from an ISP for failing to abide by rules I haven't been informed of.

At least with PN I know exactly where I stand now (200GB usage (anytime)
OR 60GB peak-time usage). I have no problems staying withing those limits but it will be interesting to see if they come up with yet another new rule I'll have no prior knowledge of.

=============================================================

Your usage has been reviewed over the 7 days since you committed to reducing your usage and you have used the following amounts:

Total - 27.25GB (equivalent to 109GB per month)
Peak - 3.75XXGB (equivalent to 15GB per month)

This usage is higher than the sustainable levels published for your service. As a result, 24/7 management has been applied to your account. These will remain in place for 30 days. This management will be removed automatically after 30 days and cannot be removed before this time.

For a full overview of the sustainable usage policy please visit our website –
http://portal.plus.net/support/features/sustainable_usage_guide.shtml
23 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Recently throttled, read this maybe of some benefit to y

I upgraded to their 8mpbs service today

were you just on the upto 2mb before?

i ask because if you were on the upto 4Mb and were throttled, it would be interesting to know to what speed it was.
N/A

Basically PN have noted I used 27.25gb last week & have decided to times that figure by 4 & predict with their new super duper fandangled "PN Crystal Ball" (trademark pending) that I would have exceeded my 100gb cap for the month even though the month end for me is another 3 weeks away! On this Mystic PN Meg decided to put me on 24/7 management (see below).

When you were originaly placed ont he proifile, we were informed that the monitoring would take place over 7 days, and not over the remaining billing period.

With regards to using 1 week times 4, you want to be thankful they did this, and not calculated it over a full month.

27.25GB / 7 days = multiply by 30 day month = 116.8GB

SO it works in yoru favor
N/A

Re: Recently throttled, read this maybe of some benefit to y

were you just on the upto 2mb before?

i ask because if you were on the upto 4Mb and were throttled, it would be interesting to know, to what speed.

I was just on the 2mb & was throttled to the figures below taken from my PN speed test page.

Date Speed Achieved (kbps)
29-09-2005 13:31:51 68.8
29-09-2005 13:30:49 59
N/A

Seriously - go to zen internet. They don't do caps whatsoever. They charge a bit more than pnet 2mbit (lot less than plusnet 8mbit) but the service is really top premium - superb quality technical support, superb network etc.

Definitely worth a look.
N/A

When you were originaly placed ont he proifile, we were informed that the monitoring would take place over 7 days, and not over the remaining billing period.

As you can see my peak time usage was drastically reduced. There was nothing to say if you exceed a specific amount i.e. over 25gb in a week they'd put us on 24/7 management on us. I was led to believe by PN that once I stayed within the monthly overall total & peaktime limits I would have no further issues with them.

There was no mention of weekly limits whatsoever. How can we be expected to abide by further rules they hadn't informed us of.
N/A

Seriously - go to zen internet. They don't do caps whatsoever. They charge a bit more than pnet 2mbit (lot less than plusnet 8mbit) but the service is really top premium - superb quality technical support, superb network etc.

Definitely worth a look.

For me personally (for the moment at least) better the devil I know. It won't be long before Zen & F2S adopt the same policies as PN. At least I know exactly where I stand now. Last thing I want to do is move to Zen or F2S & everything is rosey for three months then they drop the same bombs PN have.
N/A

Definitely worth a look.

For me personally (for the moment at least) better the devil I know. It won't be long before Zen & F2S adopt the same policies as PN. At least I know exactly where I stand now. Last thing I want to do is move to Zen or F2S & everything is rosey for three months then they drop the same bombs PN have.

I think you are being a fool to put it less diplomatically Smiley. Zen charge a lot more than plusnet and they can easily afford to subsidise higher users much more.

Not only will you pay less per month, you'll get far better tech support and honest policies from them, and while it's a bit of a hassle changing over I don't see why you should/want to support a company which is screwing us all around.
N/A

I think you are being a fool to put it less diplomatically Smiley. Zen charge a lot more than plusnet and they can easily afford to subsidise higher users much more.

Not only will you pay less per month, you'll get far better tech support and honest policies from them, and while it's a bit of a hassle changing over I don't see why you should/want to support a company which is screwing us all around.

See my PM to you for my reason as to why I haven't opted for Zen.
N/A

Do tell why you think Zen isnt a good idea?

Was thinking about going there myself..
N/A

Do tell why you think Zen isnt a good idea?

Was thinking about going there myself..

See my PM to you for my reason as to why I haven't opted for Zen.
N/A

feel like pm'n me this explanation 2 as i was considering this as an option 2,
I'm gonna be dang cheesed off if u truely do have a good reason for not supporting them. (otherwise choice of isps is serverly limited)
N/A

feel like pm'n me this explanation 2 as i was considering this as an option 2,
I'm gonna be dang cheesed off if u truely do have a good reason for not supporting them. (otherwise choice of isps is serverly limited)

PM Sent to you just now.
N/A

while we're in the PM business - let me know too!
N/A

Hi there pscarlett,

could i have a pm please also, as ive already ordered with zen