cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent connection dropouts

N/A

For the last three to four weeks I have been having regular drops in connection.I'm on 2mb Premier and do anything from 50-80gb per month. I have also been getting erratic download speeds. I try and do most of my downloading during the night, but have been coming into the room in the morning expecting to see a 100% download, but the connection has dropped and download stalled at X%. I have a USB modem if that helps. If I re-connect it'll start again, but that's now into the morning/day time hours.Seen some stuff about SUP etc but not quite sure what this means. Is the dropping a result of the SUP etc? If not, any ideas?? Thanks in advance,

Damien
35 REPLIES
ceridwen
Grafter

Yep, I'm getting the odd drop out (about 2-3 a day at present so not too bad) on premier even though I'm a light user.

This only started happening about a week or so ago.

Matthew
Community Veteran

The SUP (sustainable usage policy) is not causing your line to drop.

USB modems can be prone to drop-outs if the modem draws too much current (>500mA) from the USB port. When this happens, the USB port is shutdown to protect the hardware and you need to either reboot the PC or unplug/replug the USB cable to get it working.

What motherboard, chipset amd USB modem are you using. If it's an older VIA chipset on the motherboard then power could be your problem.

Are you able to borrow a router or another USB modem to try out?
Nick_Russell
Grafter

I think there is a pattern here.

See link for same topic on ADSL.

ADSLGuide forum.

I would be intertested if PlusNet were able to shed some light on this.
ceridwen
Grafter

I'm using a Netgear Router (latest firmware).

Suspiciously, the times recorded in the log for the drop outs are pretty close to the ones being mentioned on ADSLGuide.

Matthew
N/A

Re: Recent connection dropouts

I try and do most of my downloading during the night, but have been coming into the room in the morning expecting to see a 100% download, but the connection has dropped and download stalled at X%. I have a USB modem if that helps. If I re-connect it'll start again, but that's now into the morning/day time hours.

I suffered with that problem for months, until I noticed a tickbox on my modem properties dialogue - 'reconnect if line is dropped' Shockedops: Modem is a Speedtouch 330.

It didn't stop the line dropping, obviously (that was solved with a BT adsl faceplate on the master socket), but it took a little of the frustration out of overnight downloads.
Nick_Russell
Grafter

This is fine to get the router to reconnect automatically but I would like to know why the disconnections have recently started.
N/A

Me to, at least 2-3 discons per day recently. +net wont accept any responsibility for it, seeing as they think it can only ever be a BT issue.

Strange that I never had a single issue on my previous ISP and nothing has changed within that week's migration :roll:
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Well to be fair to PlusNet it MAY be a BT issue, but nevertheless is once again the poor old customer who is suffering. We cannot contact BT directly so it is up to PlusNet to do and not just wash their hands over the matter. How many have to post here or on ADSLGuide for PlusNet to take notice and acknowledge there is a problem. We can’t all have faulty filters can weHuh

As a first step I would really like to see PlusNet acknowledge there is a problem at this time...a forlorn hopeHuh
N/A

Yeh but +net just pass the buck, and then BT charge you £55 for the priviledge of checking your kit and premises, which I already know is ok. It could of course be the copper line, but that doesn't make sense, when I didnt have any issue with the previous ISP. Then of course if BT find no fault, what happens then? Not alot I would guess, and I would be £55 lighter for nothing.

[Moderator's note by Mark (pcsni): Full quote of preceeding post removed as it is unnecessary]
Nick_Russell
Grafter

N/A

I've just noticed that 3 people with problems in this thread have the same Netgear DG834G router, including myself. Am I being paranoid, or is there a possibility that the +net routers dont like our routers? I've heard of this happening before with certain bits of kit and particular ISPs.
Nick_Russell
Grafter

No I don't think so but must say the Netgear router seems to feature a lot.

See yet another tread on the matter -

Another ADSLGuide thread

Any comments yet PlusNetHuh?
ceridwen
Grafter

I think it just might be that the Netgear is a very popular router.

I think that there are two issues - some who cannot connect at all (or only for very short periods) which might be a local exchange/line issue, and those who see a few drops during the day.

Looking at the last thread quoted on ADSLGuide - the times of the drops reported match the times I've seen drops - which means that the latter is unlikely to be a local exchange/line issue but more likely a wide ranging issue.

It may be BT - however, PN has introduced so much traffic shaping, not been forthcoming in admitting what shaping they are doing (they denied any shaping for a couple of weeks until the complaints here and on ADSLGuide forced them to admit they were doing some traffic shaping), and have misconfigured the traffic shaping in the past (putting premier customers onto BB+ profiles) - that unfortunately my faith in PN is currently pretty low.

Given the change in T&Cs to allow idle disconnects, I'm also suspiscious that perhaps PN are reaching the maximum number of users their current capacity can support, and this is behind some of the disconnects (or else the disconnects are cause by PN playing with the software which will manage the timeouts).

Matthew
N/A

Facts Can't be users problem due to the fact SO many people are having them.

i also get the remote computer didnt respone in timely manner etc. then connects then it drops.

also got the BT whole sale page thingy few times in the last month.

all point toward plus net f**k ups

as my line been fine .

So why isnt anyone from plus net addressing the problem or leaving infromation for any of us.

bad CS support once again.

I getting fed up with plus net now. they on an never end down wards fall.