cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent changes to traffic management?

N/A

Bandwidth has been somewhat tight for me the past few days for p2p apps (The line checks out fine), and at the same time I notice a substantial reduction in the reported packet drop stats by gateway.

Could someone please explain what is being done?
11 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

In what way are you noticing a problem and what speeds are you seeing and at what time of the day?

Have you checked your usage (View My Usage under Connection Settings on the left)?

We've been able to reduce the packet drops because firstly we've increased capacity by 155Mbps and also by better hour by hour management of the network. There's little change on the overall volume of P2P going through the network in the past month or so.
N/A

Fast reply, thanks Dave.

In the period around 11pm to 4pm, getting roughly 15K/sec uploads, maybe 20K/sec download peak dropping to nothing for mins at a time, maybe 10K or a bit higher average.

Last 3 days have been the most extreme, odd as the week is usually a little easier going than the weekend.

My peak usage is 2.2G so far this billing month.

http downloads don't seem to be affected at all, I can get 120K/sec almost which can't be more than a hairs breadth from my line speed.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

That's strange, overnight speeds have no restrictions on them. Just after midnight I can imagine that speeds decrease because that's when everyone switches on their scheduled downloads, but by 1-2am the network starts getting a lot quieter and I'd expect full speeds until the morning when speeds will probably start decreasing and the rate limits kick in from midday as per this page

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/bb_premier1.shtml

Checking your profile there's no problems showing, does the off peak usage tally with what you would expect?
N/A

Whoops, sorry 11 AM not PM through to 4pm. A block of about 5 hours.

I've read through the page and I seem to be getting a lot less than the rates described. Given this line is 1 Mbit rather than 2 (The reason has never been explained, maybe its all it can support), would the ellacoya system calculate the limits correctly or half these numbers?

I know when throttling was introduced the platform applied 1Mbit rules for UploadCheesyownload limits on my line. I've avoided crossing peak rate limits since, so I don't know if this has been changed.

I've used p2p off peak a lot more than usual in the past 4 weeks or so and have noticed some strange behaviour. 2 or 3 weeks ago the method seemed to be a form of capping in 1 hour or 2 hour sections which changed on the hour. My overall rates were ok during that time so I had nothing to complain about.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Hi there,

The limits should be the same regardless of what speed you are on, I'm sure Dave will be along to correct me if I'm wrong!

Looking at your account it appears you are still on a 1Mb fixed rate speed, if you want I will place an order to move you to MaxDSL to complete tomorrow. This will not incur any extra charge on your account.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

Isn't it worth checking peoples router stats before inviting them to change to MaxDSL? If he's on a 1meg product because he's on a long line or has poor stats then moving to Max could well be the worst thing for him to do, as I know from my own experience.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I performed a line test first to ensure the attenuation and SNR were suitable for MaxDSL.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

Hehe..then I apologise for sticking my beak in Smiley I was just trying to help him avoid potential trouble..not telling you how to do your job Wink

My SNR fluctuates so much at different times of day that (15 during the day, down as low as 4 in the evenings) that it caused mayhem on Max. Going back to a fixed rate product was the best thing i ever did.

I'll keep my nose out from now on Tongue
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Cheesy

No probs, it is good advice to check that before any orders are placed.
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

Thankyou Chris and Stuart,

I've just spent a little time reading about MaxDSL and plugging SNR and attenuation numbers into online calculators. The numbers look very good.

The 1M line speed rarely limits what I do relative to the traffic mangement system. Extra upload bandwidth would be very welcome though.

Some questions I havn't been able to find answers to. The old RADSL (as I understand it) took bandwidth from the upload portion of the spectrum to help maintain download rates, does MaxDSL do this, and if so is it possible to prioritise upload bandwidth or do I risk having a 7 or 8Mbit download pipe and a 64Kbit upload one?

Would there be any problems/costs going back to a fixed line rate if this doesn't work out?

Would I still be on 'Broadband Premier 1'?

Thankyou.
N/A

Well, while I'm waiting for those answers I'll go back to the original subject of the thread.

Checking the stats for yesterday and today on ed2k protocol software. The traffic management kicks in at 12pm and the client goes from downloading at 30 to 40ish K/sec sharply to around 20K/sec.

So even though the download is below the ceiling limit the traffic management is still choking the connection.

Yesterday for the period 11am to 4pm, and with additional well served downloads queued up for the test, by 12:30 the traffic was very bursty with a high degree of broken connections and by 4pm the download total was just 250M in the full 5 hours. This is poor and a long way below what the experience page says I should be able to get.

Why is this happening?