cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent P2P problems?

N/A

Recent P2P problems?

I've noticed over the last month P2P has been very poor, more often the case I can't get any P2P connection.

I read some of the posts on this forum, and two nights ago changed my port number from the default, instantly I was able to get Limewire to connect. Tonight on the same port that worked two days ago, I now have no connection.

Can someone shed any light what is happening with P2P. My account is a PAYG (with the 250MB webspace).

If it us the case P2P is restricted, I can understand maybe restricted people on unlimited accounts downloading 24/7, but restricted access on PAYG where I’m paying on a meter makes no sence.

For over 4 years I’ve been a PlusNet ADSL user, and over this time have been very happy and recommend over a dozen people. Somehow with the problems with P2P the quality of service is just not the same these days.
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

Recent P2P problems?

Don't get me started on the p2p issue.

Speed in general has been a complete load of shit with plusnet ever since we joined.

We joined to get 8mb broadband - we're lucky to actually see dial-up speed. If we wanted dial-up we would of stayed with our old isp - conveniently being able to dial from anywhere too. BB is fixed to a particular phone line and it's still as slow with PN.

Rather pathetic and pointless really.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
N/A

Recent P2P problems?

As said PlusNet have been very good over the years. It's only now with the P2P i'm having problems.

I've been searching the forums over at ADSLGuide and here and it's an eye opener some of the things been written about PlusNet.
N/A

Recent P2P problems?

P2P has been terrible for me over the past few months. I used to be getting a nice 240kB/s, but recently I'm lucky to get anywhere near 20kB/s.

What gives?!!
N/A

Recent P2P problems?

Ditto on every point.

To think I left Zen for plusnet on a recommendation. Dropped one there.
suec45
Grafter

Recent P2P problems?

I have been looking at new ISps, there ARE some good ones out there.

Check the ISP ratings sites. I found at least 8 very well rated ISPs at the same price we are paying now, some absolute boast no traffic shaping of any kind and no limits on P2P.

I dont want to migrate, but each day we see more problems and low speeds, I get a little further along the process.

2 weeks ago with all the problems I thought about migrating
1 week ago I checked ISP review sites

Yesterday - I have now go 3 or 4 very well rated ISPs together which I will ring soon if things dont improve.

Its up to you Plusnet.
N/A

Recent P2P problems?

no traffic shaping of any kind and no limits on P2P.

But surely with fixed download limits though?
N/A

Recent P2P problems?

Bulldog, have NO traffic shaping, and are cheap! But they are sometimes annoying to get hold of. If however, you have a little bit of tech knowledge so you can sort out your own problems I thoroughly recommend them. Im pretty sure I will be switching over to them in the next month, what with all these sloooow bittorrent speeds, even at night god damn it!
N/A

Recent P2P problems?

I have been looking at new ISps, there ARE some good ones out there...........
...........Yesterday - I have now got 3 or 4 very well rated ISPs together which I will ring soon if things dont improve.

Its up to you Plusnet.

Could you elaborate on your findings please. I'd be interested to know what you consider a good deal.

I've been looking at Pipex. Apart from their insistence that you take their phone package or pay over the odds for BB and their £2 per 5Gb Usenet charge, they look OK. Actually, even the phone package looks good value.
What's more they "claim" they have no latency!
N/A

Recent P2P problems?

Community Veteran

Recent P2P problems?

Really! Post a link to that page will you? If so, it seems they have been able to break some of Einsteins theory's ... clever these network engineers.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
sophos9
Grafter

Recent P2P problems?

Blimey! Its amazing... It must create a 'rip' folding space and time so that 2 points co-exists at any given time

*grabs his meds....* Cheesy
suec45
Grafter

Recent P2P problems?

Freedman:-

Take a look here, there are plenty of good deals, much better than Pipex etc.

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/isp_ratings.php

If Plusnet dont sort this out (to be fair my FTP speeds were fine last night), there are plenty of ISPs worth taking a risk on a monthly contract.

EDIT: Lol lostboy beat me to it!, should have read the whole thread before i replied. Smiley
N/A

Recent P2P problems?

I was with Zen internet before plusnet so I already knew about them. I had a look around over last few weeks and zen best suits my needs. I'm not sure how plusnet suits anyone, hopeless P2P, gaming, emails, disconnections...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Recent P2P problems?

To the OP, read the 55 page Ellacoya 6.4 rollout thread and that should answer your questions (and also to confirm nothing is being done about it).

I agree that PAYG should be relatively unthrottled since you're paying for what you use (fair enough), however I wonder if the Ellacoya profile between PAYG and anything else is much different (if at all), except for the way it is billed. Can anyone confirm?

However it is clear that either PlusNet are inept at configuring Ellacoyas and don't expect these problems .. OR .. the changes are the way they intended by senior management to save cash. It's not like anything else is an issue other than the takeover by BT.

Correct me if I am wrong .. but I have a nasty suspicion I am not.