cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Realistically when will the activation fee be removed?

N/A

Is this likely to be after 7th March or before.

I'm just wanting to know so I know whether I'm going to have to pay to leave, because I probably not willing to wait until after the 7th march.
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran

If PlusNet announce today that they are to waiver the deferred activations charge, then it will be the 15 March before you can leave due to the 30 days notice period.

Chilly
Mand
Grafter

Hi

It's likely to be March, but realistically I'd expect this to be towards the end of March, largely due to the development work required on our systems in order to remove this.
N/A

according to the bbc the new rules come in to force on wednesday
http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6354547.stm

Moderators note by James (sallyandjames) : Fixed [url] tags Wink
N/A

Thats nothing to do with the fee's you own though.

It means PN can't withold your MAC until you pay up, as they do now - but if you fail to pay, your debt can still be passed on to a recovery agency etc.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

The article you refer to relates to Ofcom's change of policy re MAC codes, and is not related to our deferred fees. As I have said above, we're expecting the changes to be made towards the end of next month.
sam
Grafter

Hi denham19,

The link you have provided cannot be viewed, but I am presuming that you are refering to the new rules where a mac key has to be generated regardless of any payment due.

This is correct and we will be providing mac keys within the 5 days days as stated in the guidelines, but any defered fees etc will still be due. These will be due in full for all customers until we waive the fees for customers who have been with us over 12 months, which as we have advised should be at some point next month.
N/A

You can't follow the link because of the [url] tag on the end of it.

I'll fix it now. Wink
N/A

It's likely to be March, but realistically I'd expect this to be towards the end of March...

Which will probably slip to April... and with the 30 days notice, people won't be able to leave until May...

Anyway, I'm glad I paid my deferred fees and am free to leave. thank god.
N/A

thanks for fixing the link Shockedops:

sorry i must have miss read the article or it was the way i interpretted it Shockedops:
sam
Grafter

sorry i must have miss read the article or it was the way i interpretted it

You and quite a few other others judging by the other posts I have seen about this on the internet. I don't know if you read the Metro, but there was a full page article about this yesterday that was quite misleading. Anyone reading it who is not connected to an ISP or does not deal with this type of thing on a daily basis could really get the wrong idea.

Which will probably slip to April... and with the 30 days notice, people won't be able to leave until May...

Surely even if the date for removing the defered fees is April, this is still better than 2011 or whatever year they would have been cancelled, under the current you stay we pay scheme. (not that we are saying this will be April, we have still been advised mid to late March).
N/A

Surely even if the date for removing the defered fees is April, this is still better than 2011 or whatever year...

Well, some might say (myself included) that the service has become so bad that whether or not your waiving fees makes little difference to whether people will leave or not...

Besides, the way things are going I suspect PN will have run themsleves into the ground long before 2011 or whatever year...

Like so many others, I'm terribly disappointed that for the last 12 months PN have lost the ability to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.
Isitme
Grafter

I agree that many seem to be under the impression that with the new Ofcom General Condition 22, you will be able to obtain a MAC and walk owing nothing. This is not the case, if you owe money, whether it be deferred charges or service charges, you still have to pay. The only difference is that the ISP cannot withhold a MAC. Instead, if you refuse to pay you will be pursued through court for the outstanding amount, plus costs.

I believe this was introduced partly because at the collapse of a company called E7...something or other, their main provider, Netservices, refused to supply MACs to E7s customers and tried to force them into signing up with a provider of their choice. The same thing happened when a dispute arose between Biscit and Netservices when the former took over V21. In both cases customers were left in limbo for weeks, with no way to obtain a MAC. Both these cases were disputes between ISPs and their core provider and nothing to do with the end users. Something had to be done and this is Ofcoms reply.

There are no doubt other reasons, but these disputes brought this to a head as thousands of users were disadvantaged, due to a dispute not of their making. I think however that they have went too far. To remove the MAC as a way to force due payment, only helps two kinds of people, the unscupulus and the lawyers who will be hired to pursue them.

I think it may signal the end of free activation and hardware. What company is going to pay for connection and supply hardware when the person can up sticks and move with nothing to stop them, except the court threat. It could be of course, that ISPs will introduce new procedures requiring the signing of a legally binding HP agreement, the balance, not written off, to become payable on leaving.

The Ofcom statement can be read in this PDF

Before anyone suggests it, I am not now, nor have I ever been an employee of this or any other ISP. Wink
N/A

If they annouced waived fees today this forum would be near empty in 30 days
N/A

If they annouced waived fees today this forum would be near empty in 30 days

I'm requesting my MAC now, I don't care about the activation fee anymore.