cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re data protection act

N/A

Re data protection act

Dear guys

i have been with plusnet for over three years. last year i had to move away from home for work and so i created another account in my name and now the work didnt suit me so i have to move back home. so i asked plusnet to cancel my service there. but i mentioned that i can get free cancellation if i cancelled this three year old account and then moved the new account back to my house it would only cost me £5.00 instead of the £47 charge for cancellation.

what they are saying is that due to data protection act they cannot discuss the other account in relation to this account. but if i own both the accounts then where does data protection come into it??

any help appreciated

otherwise i will just have to cancel the old account and move the new account to the new house. which would be a hassle for me as well as plusnet i am sure.
7 REPLIES
N/A

Re data protection act

Without knowing the full details; I would say that the Data Protection Act would be as it is stated here .

It seems odd that an act designed to protect your privacy is being used against you.
Community Veteran

Re data protection act

Also note it's not a free cancellation, its a 5 year deferred activation fee for which you pay a £5 admin fee. For each full year you remain with PlsuNet, the amount of the activation fee you would have to pay if you left within 5 years is decreased by 20%.
N/A

Re data protection act

Was it 5 years deferred activation fee three years ago? because i remember paying one off fee on 19.99 for activation.

where can i find out this information about my account?
___oDiN__
Grafter

Re data protection act

all payment you have made are in the my payments/transaction area of you account deatils
N/A

Re data protection act

You'll have to prove you are the same person and you have been paying for both. Either do this by changing contact numbers or banking in your account area.

If Plus can't accept that then you'll need to ask them what proof they require.
N/A

Re data protection act

I pay for and maintain 2 accounts at completely separate locations, and never had a problem with Plusnet CSC over this. All they have ever asked for was the final digits of the 2 account passwords.
prichardson
Grafter

Re data protection act

Hi,

Simply raising a ticket on your second account, refering to the ticket number of the first account should be sufficient.

In simple terms folks, my neightbours name also used to be Phil Richardson. OK, our names match, our addresses differ only by 2 digits in the house number, does that make us the same person?

Indeed, it may seem petty if in the above scenario both were my accounts, but I guess you see the picture seeing as they are not.

The DPA is indeed meant to work in favour of the consumer in terms of protection. I'm sure you can see though, that it is far from working against you if you havn't provided anything other than your word the accounts are both yours.

If you look at it from our perspective, what other than the name and your say so from only one account, provides any real confirmation of a link.