cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: The Community Site is coming!!!

N/A

We’ve decided it makes sense to bring all of the brands in the PlusNet family together in one place.

Will the usergroup be included in the new Community Site?
39 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

PUG and New Community forums

As far as I am aware the usergroup will remain separate to the portal forums as they currently are.

*edit* Just had this confirmed by Bob
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran

No, we will not be assimilated Wink

We run a completely separate set-up on a separate server and will remain independent.
N/A

As far as I am aware the usergroup will remain separate to the portal forums as they currently are.

Then that's a shame because the opportunity to bring ALL of the associated sites to one site has been missed and serves only to fragment topics, staff response and postings are split and the potential to miss information remains. Seems strange to me to not include the usregroup in the new Community Site.

Any reason why the usergroup can't be included?

Edit: included quote
N/A

We run a completely separate set-up on a separate server and will remain independent.

The usergroup uses a BTPlusnet server and BTPlusnet electricity etc.. How can you claim to be independent?

Is it the case that the usergroup maintains this false premise of independence to allow announcements to be made by BTPlusnet by the group under the impression that what is said on there is not official?
Community Veteran

Yes, plusnet supplied a server for PUG to use but that is as far as their involvement goes. We set-up the website and forum and maintain both and have complete control over content.

If you have a problem with what we do I suggest you raise your concerns on our forum rather than here.
N/A

If you have a problem with what we do I suggest you raise your concerns on our forum rather than here.

Your post proves my point. There should be one place for the community to post and receive information. The usergroup could easily be incorporated into the new Community Site.

No matter how many times you repeat that the usergroup is* independent it doesn't make it so. BTPlusnet could close the usergroup down at a flick of a switch; independence means precisely that...

Edit: *typo
Community Veteran

I'm fairly sure that we would be willing to accommodate PUG on the Community Site, if that was what PUG wished. However, it is not for us to dictate to PUG that they must be on the Community Site.
N/A

...we would be willing to accommodate PUG on the Community Site, if that was what PUG wished.

What about the whishes of the cummunity as a whole?

I realise that most posters on here are not familiar with the duplication of the usergroup forums and these forums, I suspect that the majority don't even know that discussions concerning BTPlusnet are conducted there, that the customer support staff post there more regularly than here and that a employee of BTPlusnet staff still administrates the usergroup forums.

It seems unnecessary to have different forums when this opportunity for gathering together all the fragmented sites under the new Community Site umbrella presents itself.

It would be more helpful to customers to have all forums integrated; they would not have to go searching various other places on the net to get the full picture of events that affect the performance of our isp.

Asking the usergroup to become part of the new Community Site would be the equivalent of asking turkeys to vote for Christmas. A place on the Community Site for the usergroup would benefit the customer by keeping everything on one site and I feel that the decision should be made by BTPlusnet management...

Hopefully I wont be banned or sent threatening PM's for posting my personal view on this matter but we shall see: it has happened in the past!
chrisc
Grafter

I suspect that the majority don't even know that discussions concerning BTPlusnet are conducted there, that the customer support staff post there more regularly than here

I would very much argue that support staff post more regularly on PUG than on the portal forums. Both these areas are part of our daily work flows on the Comms team and we try to have as much presence as possible in both areas.

Recently I believe that we have maintained a very high level of involvement on these forums and would hope that customers do not see this forum as somewhere that PN staff are not forthcoming in their assistance.

With regards to integrating PUG into the Community Site, as previously posted PUG are independent of PN - The Usergroup.

The primary objective for the Community Site is to merge all our existing portal forums into one place and improve the community as a whole. We currently have the many forums on this site which are duplicated on F9, Free-Online and Metronet. There is a considerable amount of duplication of work/resource etc which will be significantly reduced - giving staff even more time to resolve customer issues.

A place on the Community Site for the usergroup would benefit the customer by keeping everything on one site and I feel that the decision should be made by BTPlusnet management...

This is not a decision that would be made by PN management - for the reasons already discussed.
Community Veteran

It's not what you where saying, just where you chose to say it. The original thread was for the discussion of the New Community site forums, not the PlusNet UserGroup.

I feel that this topic deservers its own thread, on this forum. As you have pointed out not all users are aware of the PlusNet UserGroup.

So here are some links;
PUG main page; http://usergroup.plus.net/
PUG forum; http://usergroup.plus.net/forum/index.php

Independence of PUG
The PlusNet UserGroup, does operate independently of PlusNet.
Yes they provide us with a Co-Located server within one of their data centres. And Colin one of the founding members of PUG, still assists with some of the administration of the PUG site. This is done with the up most professionalism, and has no influence on the content of the PUG site.

PUG having its own forums
I personally feel that this is a very important debate, and should be reviewed in the light of the new Community forums.
One of the original goals of the PUG forums was a place that all users from all of the PlusNet virtual ISP's can come together.

Chilly
Community Veteran

Doh!

I tock so long to typing out that post, that Chris sneaked one in.

Chilly
N/A

The primary objective for the Community Site is to merge all our existing portal forums into one place and improve the community as a whole.

According to Mark Kelly in a post on thinkbroadband.com on behalf of Plusnet, "The forums are completely outside of our control."

So I take it that the moderators made the decision to merge the portal forums then?
N/A

I would very much argue that support staff post more regularly on PUG than on the portal forums.

I suspect you meant that to read the other way round Chris.

Both these areas are part of our daily work flows on the Comms team and we try to have as much presence as possible in both areas.

My point precisely. You are having to juggle support between two forums when it would be far easier and more economical to have a presence here and not have to split the time between both.

With regards to integrating PUG into the Community Site, as previously posted PUG are independent of PN - The Usergroup.

As previously posted the usergroup is not independent; it doesn't matter how many times it's said it will not make it true.

This is not a decision that would be made by PN management - for the reasons already discussed.

When it comes to wasting money on areas that are uneconomical then perhaps management should become involved.

If you could explain the benefits that the usergroup contribute and why we have to go searching for answers there and not here, it would perhaps shed some light on the opposition to the proposed integration of the usergroup with the new Community site...
chrisc
Grafter

I would very much argue that support staff post more regularly on PUG than on the portal forums.

This should of read: I would very much argue the idea that support staff post more regularly on PUG than on the portal forums.

You are having to juggle support between two forums when it would be far easier and more economical to have a presence here and not have to split the time between both.

We currently work on 4 portal forums, the Usergroup and a variety of external forums. The Community site will significantly reduce this workflow.

As previously posted the usergroup is not independent; it doesn't matter how many times it's said it will not make it true.

The UserGroup is independent - We do not control content or moderate the forums at all. Content on the Usergroup site is controlled by members of the Usergroup and PN have no control over this.

why we have to go searching for answers there and not here

There is absolutely no reason why you would need to go to the Usergroup rather than here to get answers to your questions. PUG is an additonal resource if you wish to use it. We often direct some customers to the Usergroup in answer to their questions due to the large amount of useful tutorials and information that they offer.