cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re Forum Announcements Sticky

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

As a user of the forum I find that decision incomprehensible.
Previously I could easily see all the critical announcements affecting me at the top of the page.
Now they are scattered all over the Announcements/Service Updates and will rapidly vanish off the bottom.
Given the slow speed of the forum loading this will also make it difficult to compare posts to announcements unless I open two separate windows.
9 REPLIES
N/A

I can understand why they did it. There was about 10 stickies at the top of the page and it looked horribly messy. I think extremely important service critical announcements (like the Usenet one this morning), should be stickied here though.
Community Veteran

I see why the Mods have done this, but I feel that announcements that previously would have been posted here would be better off in their own forums, therefore they will not be scattered in between other stuff or push other threads halfway down the page.
Community Veteran

I appreciate that having 7 stickys at the top was a bit silly but surely it would have been better to have combined all or most of the announcements into 1 sticky.
With this new system the only way to spot the relevant posts is because they have a different icon but I assume that any new posts will all have the same one.
Community Veteran

We can still post a link to any new ones in the single sticky at the top of the page. As I have done with the forum rules one.
You will only have to look in there to see if there is anything new.
Community Veteran

John,
I like that method which is at least easily checked and I assume that any changes or additions will show up as an orange icon.
Interesting side effect - and I don't understand the reason - is that the loading time from the link is almost instantaneous and it comes in a new window which is useful. (p.s. using Firefox)
Community Veteran

No unfortunately any changes wont show up if they are inserted by just editing in the change.
It would only show up if a new post was created or added as a reply.
As the announcement sticky is locked then that wont happen. Sad
The new window has always been a feature when you click on a link from the forums so its not specific to your browswer.
Community Veteran

Thinking further on this it would be posible for us to mark any new links with say a red New tag that would be there for a week or so.
Would that help.
Community Veteran

John,
That would really help. Good idea.
Thanks
Community Veteran

Ok Ive suggested it to the other Mods so well see what they think. Smiley