cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random disconnections - how many is the norm?

N/A

I have been suffering from random disconnection problems for a long time now. I used to get upto ten a day now this has reduced to an average of one disconnection a day.

Should I expect any disconnections on a MaxDSL connection or should the connection be 100% stable? My line speed is not that fast but adequate (3584kbps)

I did read somewhere that the odd disconnection is normal but I can't remember where I read it.

I have had three BT openreach engineers check the line and also a linesman replace a suspect master socket.

PlusNet have been great in helping me sort out this problem.

Should I be happy with what I am getting now or should I continue to get things improved further?

Thanks, Mark.
12 REPLIES
N/A

A daily disconnection may be quite normal depending on your line. Does it happen at about the same time every day?

I have one disconnection almost every evening, probably at the time when the folks in the nearby village switch on the lights or the TV all at the same time. The SNR graph from my router is a near perfect straight line until sunset, then becomes very much like a seismogram as interference increases through the evening.
N/A

The disconnections can occur any time between 3.30pm to 8.00 am. I never have been disconnected during the day.

The disconnections happpen when I am in the middle of do something and can be a real pain when downloading a very large file.

Mark.
N/A

May be worth investigating if there's something in your house causing interference when your connection drops. For instance a central heating boiler coming on. More likely it'll be something along the line, and if it's long the possibilities are endless.

You could try another router, some are much better than others at keeping the connection through a burst of noise. The Netgear DG834G v.3 that I use is quite good at hanging on through a drop to 0 or even -1 in SNR though it disconnects when the SNR increases suddenly from 0 to +3.

As for interrupted downloads, can't you install a download manager to resume the download? Someone here may be able to advice you on one that resumes downloads automatically. I just use the "Download statusbar" extension in Firefox but have to click to resume an interrupted download.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I have the same problem which is caused by random bursts of noise on the line - cause unknown.
I find it is more often in the evening and overnight when the noise margin drops.
No help but at least you are not alone
Sad
N/A

I to am experiencing frequent disconnecting on my Preier PLusnet service at home. It is highly annoying, I have been in the same house with the same router and years but it just started happening about 6 months ago and has gotten worst....I assumed it was a problem on Plusnet's end but as you telling me that it is probably not?

Is there ANYTHING can be done to help check it out from my end?....it seems to be worst when I am downloading something, i.e. using USENET!
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

1 disconnect a day is not unexpected, as the other posters have said this can be caused by anything from a central heating system turning on to something between the house and the exchange causing the problem.

@mckeown31

Have you raised the problem for us to look at? visit http://faults.plus.net if you want us to investigate it.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

I found it helped to monitor and keep a log of when the disconnections happened.

I use Routerstats, a great freeware program from:
http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm
The SNR graphs are fascinating!

It integrates seamlessly with Netgear routers and can be configured for others, look for the help files there may be one ready made for your router.
N/A

I have had an open ticket for nearly four months now. I have no known electrical interference that I am aware of, it possibly might be a neighbour.

Even with a SNR of 4db I can still lose the connection. Before the disconnection the speed of the connections seems drops significantly.

Download resuming software could be the best option, though some servers don't support download resuming.

Thankyou for your replies. Smiley

Mark.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

@markstone

Your connection looks pretty stable now, the current session has been ongoing for over 24 hours.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

I do get some days with no disconnections and the connection gets worse again, the last one was early yesterday evening.

I will keep monitoring my connection and post an update to the ticket in a few days. The connection seems to ten times better than it was when I first raised the ticket. Hopefully the connection will keep like this. Cheesy

Thanks, Mark.
itchyfeet
Grafter

I was getting multiple disconnections in the evening (usually between about 5pm and 9pm). These required me to reboot the router each time. I had an BT engineer have a look who couldn't find anything wrong. Eventually I tried replacing my Netgear router (DG834G) with my old Solwise one-port router and to my surprise everything has worked fine since. I only get occasional disconnections now (<1 a day).

I assume that it isn't a fault with the Netgear router and that I do have some sort of minor line fault, but that the Solwise router is better able to cope with minor glitches.

Brian

[P.S. Interestingly, the problem seemed less severe in the summer months than the winter months. It never correlated with street lights, central heating or anything else I could identify]
chrisc
Grafter

Some hardware can cope with SNR changes better than others and not drop out as often.

From experience Speedtouch kit seems to handle these glitches better than most.