cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Disconnects

N/A

Random Disconnects

I have Sky and have also suffered random disconnects, although the ADSL works fine I am unable to resolve internet addresses (IE7 connection Diagnosis). I am also unable to ping www.plus.net 212.159.8.137 during these connection problems.

if I re-boot the router I am able to view page or so then it goes down again. Its a recent problem with a previuosly stable connection for many years.

Whats the issue with Sky?
What are the best DNS to use I have seen 212.159.13.49 &50 and 212.159.6.9 & 10?
15 REPLIES
N/A

Random Disconnects

DNS wise, use one of each pair as that makes it less likely that both will be down.

As for Sky, the company require you to connect the box to your telephone line in order to update it and enable certain interactive content. Have you checked that there is an ADSL filter on that line?

If so, do the problems disappear when you remove the Sky box from the line?
Kakkoii
Grafter

Random Disconnects

I had to simply unplug my Sky box off the line, even when I had a filter on it. Haven't had a disconnection since.
N/A

Random Disconnects

I have had broadband for many years and sky for four months, why now?
N/A

Random Disconnects

I'm having to reset the router (safecom) every few hours or so. I don't loose synch at all.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Random Disconnects

Does unplugging the Sky box fix the problem? It could be that the line is marginal and a combination of two or three things are just enough to push it over the edge of stability.

For example, the upgrade to Max will mean that the line is operating on the limits of ADSL technology, the warmer weather we're having at the moment is having an effect and then add on the Sky box to add a bit of noise.

Previously you may not have noticed any problems because before the winter there wasn't a Sky box and only now with the warmer weather are all three enough to cause the disconnections.

It's a theory that would fit, whether it's the case or not I don't know.
N/A

Random Disconnects

That makes sense.

I've disconnected everything and still no joy. Here's an example of the limited logs I get from the router, which claims an established connection with 5 CRC errors on PPPoA. I don't get anything back at all through the router when its down from my ethereal logs, not even messy data.

PPPoA Logs
==========

Connection Status Connected
Us Rate (Kbps) 448
Ds Rate (Kbps) 7616
US Margin 27
DS Margin 6
Trained Modulation GDMT
LOS Errors 0
DS Line Attenuation 34
US Line Attenuation 18
Peak Cell Rate 1056 cells per sec
CRC Rx Fast 0
CRC Tx Fast 0
CRC Rx Interleaved 0
CRC Tx Interleaved 5
Path Mode Interleaved

Transmit
Tx PDUs 1335
Tx Total Bytes 249549
Tx Total Error Counts 0

Receive
Rx PDUs 1329
Rx Total Bytes 913540
Rx Total Error Counts 0

System Log:
===========

FW Watchdog is Enabled
DSL in Sync
DSL Carrier is up
---}}} Start of connection delayed for 56 sec
PPPoA launch delay.
manager_get_defaults - !node
manager_get_defaults - !node
PPPoA Launch after conn delay timeout ...
pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0
Default Asymmetric MTU for ppp0 1500
Connect: ppp0 {--}
PPPD Successfully Started
Couldn't increase MTU to 32725
local IP address 212.159.100.121
remote IP address 195.166.128.123
primary DNS address 212.159.6.9
secondary DNS address 212.159.6.10
PPPoA Connect with IP Address 212.159.100.121
PPPoA Connection Successfully Established
PPPoA Connect with Gateway IP Address: 195.166.128.123
deleting route to interface br1 (timed out)

Is it still the case that if I disconnect for a few hours there is some resetting that goes on in the exchange?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Random Disconnects

The line stats look pretty good, what though do you get with a ping and tracert/mtr?

http://usertools.force9.net/tutorials/id/34
N/A

Random Disconnects

Like I said, when its down - its down. I'm unable to ping outside the router, but the ADSL doesn't go down - I don't loose synch and internal testing on ADSL is fine (F5 End F5 Seg - whatever they are!).

I tried the alternate @plusdsl2.net suffix as well and have the same trouble. I connect for about 30 maybe 60 seconds then.. nothing. No loss of synch, the router claims it is connecting normally but I'm unable to transmit or recieve data.

To write these posts I have to manually disconnect, then re-connect and post within a minute! My local exchange is in Peacehaven.

(It looks like there's some exchange-side jiggery pokery going on tonight. At last theres a bit of DSL speed re-negotiation.)
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Random Disconnects

I don't suppose you are able to try with a different router or modem (maybe borrow one from someone)? It's rare for this type of problem to be a line or exchange fault and without a loss of sync that would generally put the problem at either our side, the exchange or your equipment, the same on plusdsl2.net means it isn't our side which really only leaves two choices, weird line card problem at the exchange or your equipment.

If it's changing sync speed now then it's losing sync for some reason, that could just be that it's sync'ing at too high a rate or it could be related.

Like I say, if you can, the best thing is to try a different router/modem as that will pretty much confirm whether it's a line card problem or your router.
N/A

Random Disconnects

Anyone able to explain this?

Couldn't increase MTU to 32725

That looks seriously wrong to me, although I'm still relatively new to the ADSL stuff, surely it should be 1500 or less?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Random Disconnects

I've seen that a few times recently in logs, I think jelv was the first to notice it. No idea what it means but I don't think that it's a problem.
N/A

Exactly the same problems with another router.

I'm having the same problems with another router. I've tried different microfilters and rj11 cable as well.

This nice router lets me re-connect much more aggressively, let me see - lcp echo every "1" , Max failure "2" great suggestion to try another router muhahah :twisted:

It seems that the connection problems happen from about 12:00 to 8:30pm every day. All through the night its fine.
N/A

Random Disconnects

It's been pretty well behaved today. I blame the pixies. A friend has been having the same troubles with a different ISP so it was probably pixies in the exchange. If I have any more trouble I'll do the ticket thing, if that helps any. Thanks for the support.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Random Disconnects

Anything showing up at

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges

on service outage page? Could have been a known problem at the exchange.