cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RSS Feed

N/A

RSS Feed

Is there any chance of getting RSS Feeds on the forums?
15 REPLIES
N/A

RSS Feed

While this sounds like a complicated idea, it is in fact very very simple for PNet to implement using this mod for phpBB which is what I beleive the forums run on.
Community Veteran

RSS Feed

AFAIK The forums run on a heavily modified version of phpBB that is integrated into the portal. As such PN are extremley reluctant to implement any mods.

Having said that, great idea ;-)
N/A

RSS Feed

That is my understanding also Daniel - however I do question the explanation because, as we all know, implementing a Mod needn't have any disruption on the site as a whole. There is, after all, an expensive development team developing changes to the "Portal" for marketing purposes, already on the PlusNet payroll.

I fear the real reason would be one floated not long ago - if it doesn't make commercial sense then leave it alone. PhPBB are SO easy to add Mods to after all. Wink
N/A

RSS Feed

An RSS feed for notice when update are being made to the servers would be nice. Save you checking the line status website every day.
N/A

RSS Feed

Like this one? Smiley
N/A

RSS Feed

Like this one? Smiley

Doh! Cheers :lol:
N/A

RSS Feed

Yeah, that's a feed for scheduled up/downtime and maintenence, how about an RSS feed for:

+ Plusnet Announcements (Like "Er, we're introducing another User Policy") and "X, Y and Z are now throttled")

+ Service Status (ADSL, NNTP, 0845, Mail, etc,...)

+ Being able to generate a unique URL string in our "My Account" section which lets us use that link in an iframe (or RSS) to show our current quotas, graphically or not.

I only ever log in to my own account details to check my usage so plusnet don't send the Internet Police to arrest me for downloading too much legal content so it'd be nice if I could get that 'remotely' into an RSS feed or iframe elsewhere.

As for the rest, I think there are lots of useful information scattered over this site (I mentioned a few above), putting these into separate feeds would be helpful.

- Martin
csogilvie
Grafter

RSS Feed

Yeah, that's a feed for scheduled up/downtime and maintenence, how about an RSS feed for:

+ Plusnet Announcements (Like "Er, we're introducing another User Policy") and "X, Y and Z are now throttled")

+ Service Status (ADSL, NNTP, 0845, Mail, etc,...)

Those are covered in the other feed, as far as I know...

+ Being able to generate a unique URL string in our "My Account" section which lets us use that link in an iframe (or RSS) to show our current quotas, graphically or not.
I have a (hacked) Firefox extension that does that and a small VB executable. IIRC I also have a Perl script kicking around, and if pushed, could probably do the same thing in PHP Smiley
N/A

RSS Feed

Up until today I thought the RSS feed plusnet have just covers outages, downtime etc - but there was a business announcement there about call tarriffs but it doesnt cover the service status. If they went to the 'trouble' of making up a couple of RSS feeds they might as well separate all the news up into 3 or 4 relevant feeds.

As for the Perl (PHP) script - sounds good... Let me know if you want a tester ;-)

- Martin
csogilvie
Grafter

RSS Feed

Up until today I thought the RSS feed plusnet have just covers outages, downtime etc - but there was a business announcement there about call tarriffs but it doesnt cover the service status. If they went to the 'trouble' of making up a couple of RSS feeds they might as well separate all the news up into 3 or 4 relevant feeds.
In what way? It covers everything thats posted to Service Status. if its not posted there, it can't be known about...
N/A

RSS Feed

Who knows! I dont actually know what that feed covers (define everything?) - because like I said, up until yesterday it just appeared to cover planned outages (and the like) but then a business post appeared out of nowhwere. So if this feed does cover everything from outages to price increases to planned maintenence to business information to time of sunset and sunrise I think it might be an idea to break these topics up into separate feeds so we can keep up easier, as that is the whole point of RSS feeds.

Secondly, the RSS feed does include service information but it doesnt tell you the *current* status of all the protocols and services offered, that's what I meant in the other half of my post - it'd be 'nice' to be able to pull that info into an iframe or rss feed or something.

BTW, anyone else noticed the forum clocks (dates/times) are all totally out?

- Martin
N/A

RSS Feed

anyone else noticed the forum clocks (dates/times) are all totally out?

No, but your profile is. Change the forum time from Profile at the top of any forum page.

That will fix it.
N/A

RSS Feed

Aah bizarre. Cheers ;-)
csogilvie
Grafter

RSS Feed

Who knows! I dont actually know what that feed covers (define everything?) - because like I said, up until yesterday it just appeared to cover planned outages (and the like) but then a business post appeared out of nowhwere. So if this feed does cover everything from outages to price increases to planned maintenence to business information to time of sunset and sunrise I think it might be an idea to break these topics up into separate feeds so we can keep up easier, as that is the whole point of RSS feeds.

Anything that appears on http://status.plus.net/ appears in the RSS feed. There is no way on that page to differentiate between announcements/planned maintenance etc. hence why its all lumped in to one.

Secondly, the RSS feed does include service information but it doesnt tell you the *current* status of all the protocols and services offered, that's what I meant in the other half of my post - it'd be 'nice' to be able to pull that info into an iframe or rss feed or something.

You'll be wanting http://usertools.plus.net/status/lights.xml then Wink