cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick POP3 question >>

N/A

Quick POP3 question >>

Hi

I'm trying to help someone set up their email on their pc. Now they've bought a domain name of this place www.123-reg.co.uk and now they want their email. They had no immediate plans for a website so I told them to forget paying for hosting and to just buy a POP3 from this domain registrar.

Done that and want to test the mail on my pc. I got all the server info but somethings missing, theres no server for SMTP outgoing mail! They've put this:

"Outgoing mail server: Enter the SMTP server your ISP supplied to you (This is the server you will use to send emails from your domain name address)"

Now my ISP is obviously plusNet, so.....er....whats/wheres the SMTP for plusnet that they're talking about?

cheers for your help Smiley
19 REPLIES
N/A

Quick POP3 question >>

If this is on your connection, then the outgoing server would be relay.plus.net - however, if your friend isn't on PlusNet then this won't work for them (as you must be connected to PlusNet through ADSL or dialup for this to work). If they're on a different ISP then they should be able to supply them with the details of their SMTP server.
N/A

Quick POP3 question >>

superb...many thanks for the ultra quick response Smiley

yeah, I know it wouldn't work on his machine (he doesn't have PlusNet or any ISP at all as yet), cheap tight Registar, don't even provide a mailserver, I've setup countless POP3s and this is the 1st time I've ever encountered this prob.

What I normally like to do is put all the details on my own outlook express and once its all working, export the mail account so somebody else can quickly import it. Sadly won't be able to do it in this case.

thanks again for your help.
N/A

Quick POP3 question >>

superb...many thanks for the ultra quick response Smiley

yeah, I know it wouldn't work on his machine (he doesn't have PlusNet or any ISP at all as yet), cheap tight Registar, don't even provide a mailserver, I've setup countless POP3s and this is the 1st time I've ever encountered this prob.

What I normally like to do is put all the details on my own outlook express and once its all working, export the mail account so somebody else can quickly import it. Sadly won't be able to do it in this case.

thanks again for your help.

Maybe because you pay so little for the service. Check how much Plusnet and other ISPs charge for domain names, and mail hosting and you can't grumble at 123.
N/A

Quick POP3 question >>

Pay little for the service?? eh?

This 1 single pop3 mailbox costs £10, a lot of domain registrars give you a few pop3s as part of the package when you regisrer a name, but not 123-reg, they charge you £10 for each one! and you don't even get an outgoing mail server for that money.

You can get hosting that costs less than £10 a month that will give you 500 pop3 boxes. £10 for one lousy stinking box is not cheap.

I think it sucks as he'll only be able to check his email via 1 isp only, i like to have a few standby numbers incase PlusNet is down i can still check my mail, but he won't have this option thanks to 123.

I feel bad becaus I recommended 123 to him, won't be doing the same to other people, their support stinks too, wouldn't believe the aggro I had with them over DNS issues.
N/A

Quick POP3 question >>

But that is because of the business that they are in.

PlusNet is a ISP and is what they focus on. As such, doamin charges are high.

123reg are domain registrars, again, this is what they focus on. As such, added value services are expensive and may not be fully inclusive.

Webhosters focus on there job too, providing hosting and e-mail service, and as a value, many provide outgoing mail servers.

You don't expect the DVLA to be able to provide insurance and MOT's for your car, just because there remit is related to transport.

The same applies to the internet. Many companies do not provide fully inclusive services, because it is expensive when you are only running them for one or two people.

Instead, you goto companies that focus on these details, or seperate companies where needed.
N/A

Quick POP3 question >>

Yes, how much did he pay for the domain name? I think I paid £9.00 for 3 years last time I registered one with them. Looking it up, the cost was £3.04 per year. Now ask how much Plusnet want to register a new .co.uk domain name. Thats what I mean by pay so little.

Crorg hit the nail on the head with his answer, but I think if you want to pay small prices, you have to accept extras are going to cost.

I also thought it funny that you complain about their quality of service, but admit that you have backups for Plusnet in case their service fails

Personally I've had an account with 123 for about 3 years, never had a problem with mail forwarding, set up forwarding for family accounts and WOULD recommend them for what they are, a cheap way to get a domain name.
N/A

Quick POP3 question >>

thats not strictly true, 123-reg.co.uk, webfusion.co.uk and a few other companies (i can't remember them all now) all come under a parent company called HostEurope who are absolutely huge.

That webhosting example I gave was infact webfusion, the sister company of 123, you can't tell me 123 aren't geared up to offering pop3s, thats bull.

If they can't offer pop3s then fine, but they shouldn't take people's money for a half assed attempt at doing so.

The point is had it been obvious they don't supply outgoing mail servers I wouldn't have advised my friend to buy a pop3 from them. To use your analogy I know the DVLA don't offer those services, I didn't know the same about 123.
N/A

Quick POP3 question >>

Then you should be reading what you are puchasing.

All my support contacts with 123reg have been quick and answed within 12 hours.

PlusNet is a sister company of Insight. I don't see Insight supplying internet connections because they are related, or PlusNet selling computer parts.

Business just doesn't work like that.
N/A

Quick POP3 question >>

Crorg hit the nail on the head with his answer, but I think if you want to pay small prices, you have to accept extras are going to cost.

Once again, had they provided an outgoing mail server for that £10 we wouldn't be having this conversation. I don't mind the £10 if the service was ok but its not, I think they're taking the piss for that money.

I also thought it funny that you complain about their quality of service, but admit that you have backups for Plusnet in case their service fails

I don't understand your point here, my question marks about their service involve their "support" in the loosest sense of the words + the options you get for your money, I have no such problems with PlusNet.

I have backups because occasionally (as with ALL isps) there may be times i can't get connected, for all sorts of reasons, contention, BT mucking around with Friaco (I'm sure the mods here could find 50 another reasons why it goes down).

But I would still say the service at PlusNet is bloody good, best ISP I've ever used, look how quick they responded and solved my original question in this thread.

The service at 123 stinks, yeah you've had no problems forwarding mail..whoopee doo, wait till you buy some webspace with their own poxy sister company and try to deal with DNS, Nameserver, MX mail values, their support is absolutely clueless. I had to solve the problems myself with some help from a webhosting forum. You should see the "solution" the 123/hosteurope gang offered..its hilarious!
N/A

Quick POP3 question >>

Then you should be reading what you are puchasing.

Show me where it says their pop3 boxes don't come with an outgoing mail server and that checking mail with multiple ISPs isn't possible.

good luck.
phillight
Grafter

Quick POP3 question >>

Show me where it says their pop3 boxes don't come with an outgoing mail server .

Where does it say it does? It says you get a POP3 box, which exactly what you got.
N/A

Quick POP3 question >>

Show me where it says their pop3 boxes don't come with an outgoing mail server

Actually it does tell you
Please note that you will still need to send e-mail via your ISP unless you use our free 123-reg webmail service

Just click on buy pop boxes on their site. You dont have to purchase one before you see that.

Also, if you look into their web mail setup you'll see that
It is also possible to configure your 123-reg Web Mail service to access other POP mail accounts under your ownership, such as those supplied to you by your ISP.

So at least part of your complaint was answered, if you'd just read their information.
N/A

Quick POP3 question >>

oh dear! :roll:

how can i put this?

ok.....so you went into a restaurant and ordered steak and chips and the waiter delivered the meal stone cold.

You wouldn't complain as

a) you asked for a steak and chips and they gave you a steak and chips.

b) nowhere on the menu did it say it would be served hot.

that right?

or like me do you think its reasonable to assume meals should come hot and pop3s come with ****ing outgoing mail servers.
N/A

Quick POP3 question >>

No, because your reasoning would be link ordering Steak and Chips, and expecting peper sause even though it isn't stated on the menu.

I shall be going back to the car dealship tomorrow, because I am asuming that because I have purchased a car from them, I should also get a garage included.

First rule of purchasing anything, read what you are buying.