cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick MaxDSL question

Community Veteran

Quick MaxDSL question

I was just reading somewhere that it's important to keep your router connected all the time during the 'training' period. Is that correct?

I usually switch mine off at night or when I'm going to be out for several hours. Should I stop doing this and leave it on 24/7?

I'm wondering if this is why my Stable Rate is showing as only 1500, whereas my router is synching at 5000-6000+ most of the time (sometimes lower but not as often as when MaxDSL started a week ago, when speeds were abysmal). Speed tests are all over the place but always under 1500, whereas I used to have a rock-solid 2MB connection with speed tests mostly pretty close to maximum speed.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Currently on Unlimited Fibre Extra and Unlimited UK & Mobile Calls
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Quick MaxDSL question

I was just reading somewhere that it's important to keep your router connected all the time during the 'training' period. Is that correct?

Not true. It is important not to disconnect and reconnect repeatedly in a short space of time, e.g. 10 times in an hour.

I'm wondering if this is why my Stable Rate is showing as only 1500, whereas my router is synching at 5000-6000+ most of the time (sometimes lower but not as often as when MaxDSL started a week ago, when speeds were abysmal). Speed tests are all over the place but always under 1500, whereas I used to have a rock-solid 2MB connection with speed tests mostly pretty close to maximum speed.

This sounds initially like one for the 'problems' BT were addressing ... sounds like it is not fixed for you. Raise a ticket and respond politely to the copy/paste replies that ignore your initial comments. Sad

The best way to describe your problem is that your modem syncs much higher than your stable rate, and it has done this for many days ... do not mention speed tests as you will be thrown into the never ending sprial of being asked to run a speed test ... of course they probably will ask you to run a meaningless speedtest as that will keep you busy for a few days.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

Quick MaxDSL question

Found it! This is the page I read it; it's a link from the Stable Rate page:
https://portal.plus.net/features/highspeed.shtml

I didn't have the higher connection speeds for the first few days of going onto MaxDSL, only realising it was happening on the first morning because my upstream speed was 448kbps, so won't raise a ticket just yet as I'm still within the original initial 10 days and well within the 14 days that seems to have superseded this.

This morning it connected at only around 3500 when I switched the router on but it has now crept up to 5312. Yesterday evening it was mostly well over 6000.
Community Veteran

Quick MaxDSL question

OH, you have just been moved to MaxDSL.

OK, so it will be sometime in the first 10 days that you will get a true feeling for what your MaxDSL speed is going to be. Just sit tight for now.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

Quick MaxDSL question

Thanks. Yes, it was only last Friday - not the one just gone but the previous one.

It seems to have almost settled down between 5-6MBs though the stable rate is only showing 1500 which is less than I had before MaxDSL.