cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about the 1mb service

N/A

Im sure that you have been asked these questions many times - but I cant find the answers anywhere.

These questions correspond to the 50:1 1mb product that launches 06/10/03

If I upgrade from my 512k Adsl Home account..

1. Can I keep the same IP? - this is very important!
2. Can the regrade cost be spread over a period of time - as the original activation was?
3.How much downtime is involved in the process?
4. What is the contract period - 1 month or 12 months?

Cheers!
14 REPLIES
jberry
Grafter

Hi there,

In answer to your questions:
[list=1]
  • Yes, just let us know that this is important when you ask to upgrade through link:contact us.
  • No, the payment must be made up front as it is an upgrade.
  • Minimal, should be a couple of hours at the most.
  • The contract would simply be a continuation of your existing ADSL contract with us - it doesn't restart when you upgrade.[/listShocked]Regards,
  • N/A

Will the binatone 500 modem work with 1MB connection at the speed ( apparently twice as fast) or is a new modem or router required?
    Ianwild
    Grafter

Hi,

There are some specifications for the Binatone 500, here. It supports speeds of up to 1.5MB/s, so this modem should be fine for 1MB use.

Regards,

Ian
    N/A

Remember, you restricted to the speed of the USB bus too.

As such, any other USB devices you have connected can affect the speeds you receive.
    N/A

Does the same thing apply when upgrading from dialup to ADSL ian? could i keep the static IP i currently use? ( this would be really handy if possible)

Thanks

Pete
    Ianwild
    Grafter

Hi Pete,

Nope - Definitely not I'm afraid. Friaco and ADSL IPs are very different and route over different parts of our network.

Can I ask why you want to keep the same IP - This is what DNS is for!

Regards,

Ian
    N/A

To my understanding, it is not possible to keep the static IP from the connect platform, due to the way they are routed to the dial-platform.

However, PlusNet should confirm this.
    N/A

Ah well tis a temp IP address for me then - never mind, just wanted to clarify things - i have gone a few seconds over my time for this week due to my DUN hanging for a short while - appologies in advance
    Ianwild
    Grafter

Not a problem and you don't need to apologise. Just don't do it three times or else your dialup is gonna get suspended :twisted:
    N/A

:twisted: Just remember i am future ADSL - :twisted: lol

[Moderators note (by Thomas): Excessive smilies removed.]
    N/A

Was just reading through this post becuase im probably going to get the 1mb line.

Post by acarr caught my eye though, i used to have a pci dynamode 220 modem that gave me nothing but grief, bzasically just kept disconnecting me, so i bought a fujitsu fdx310 and aint looked back, not a single problem with it, but its USB but i got one other USB port on my computer and its being used for me wireless keyboard and mouse, are these going to affect the speed of my internet connection?
    N/A

It honestly depends on how much bandwidth the mouse and keyboard require.

I shouldn't think so, but there is a possibility.
    N/A

do all usb items use bandwidth then ?

i have a number of usb devices connected and wonder is this affecting my connection ?Huh
    Community Veteran

If you are *actively using* the USB devices, then they will consume an amount of bandwidth that is relative to the device.

For example, a wireless keyboard/mouse will be using the absolute minimum of bandwidth, but using a high-definition scanner to scan a full A4 page at the highest resolution will use a LOT of bandwidth.

You also have to bear in mind the type of USB controller you have. If you have a USB1.1 controller, then the maximum bandwidth is something like 12Mb/s (correct me if I'm wrong, guys). This is shared across all devices across the bus. This is partitioned into low-bandwidth devices (up to 1.5Mb/s) and high-bandwidth devices (up to 6Mb/s)

If you have a USB2 controller, the max bandwidth is something like 480MB/s. HOWEVER, if you are using a USB1.1rated device on your USB chain, then the speed for the WHOLE CHAIN drops to USB1.1 levels. (This does depend on the device being connected, as some 1.1 devices actually do not make the chain drop in speed)

All these speeds are MegaBITS per second, not Megabytes, so to reach a MB figure, divide by 8.

Each USB chain is (usually) defined by a single "socket" on your machine. If you have some USB1.1 devices, and some USB2.0 devices, you would be well advised to put them on individual chains (the USB1.1 together and the USB2.0 together).

Finally, if the device is not "actively" in use, then it will consume a negligible amount of bandwidth.

Barry