Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about broadband PAYG basic

N/A

Dear all,

Two questions about bb PAYG basic:

1) Will I still be able to send emails via relay.plus.net?
2) Does out-of-peak-hours usage, 12pm - 4pm UK time, count towards my basic quota?

Thanks muchly,
Jay
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Yes you'll still be able to use the email relay my mail goes out this way.
As for the 12pm to 4pm I think the hrs are different to other packages.

I moved to the payg 14.99 package no throttling apparently. it's also possible to set a monthly max spend so there are no suprises.

A
N/A

I believe PAYG basic peak hours are 8am till midnight. Offpeak is midnight till 8am.
Community Veteran

Broadband PAYG Basic does not have any peak time period or any 'free' allowance like Broadband PAYG. You pay for all you use at any time of day. It comes with a 450MB allowance incuded in the price.
Community Veteran

I moved to the payg 14.99 package no throttling apparently ...

There is traffic shaping on PAYG, as this is affecting my gaming.

SW
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
retep
Grafter

Just on point 1 of Jay's question, I read this below as £2 extra per month for email on PAYG Basic:

http://www.plus.net/residential/broadband/payg_index.shtml

If amclean is paying £14.99 he is not on the PAYG Basic so gets e-mail included.

Peter
Community Veteran

I'm not on payg basic as per my monthly charge I'm on payg
14.99 with includes email and voip minutes which, at present, are just as reliable as e-mail. :-)

http://www.plus.net/residential/broadband/broadband_payg.shtml

A
N/A

Thanks all!

Thankyou everybody for taking the time to post. I'll have to think some more before moving to PAYG basic.
Community Veteran

payg 14.99 is a better offer than payg basic. You can set your monthly spend limit so you can't spend more than say £16 if your bill is going to go over that when you log on pn divert you to a page where you need to agree to pay more. This way there are not unexpected high bills.

if you only use your 2gb allowance or less then you only pay £14.99

I prefer this method of buying extra downloads as if I don't use it I don't pay. If I set my monthly limit up front to 4gb and didn't use over 2gb I'd still be paying for 4gb.

payg 14.99 is better offer than basic IMHO.

A
vic_newey
Grafter

I moved to the payg 14.99 package no throttling apparently ...

There is traffic shaping on PAYG, as this is affecting my gaming.

SW

I agree, there wasn't at one time but now its as bad as the rest, a sorry state, Blueyonder here I come :lol:
lingbob
Grafter

payg 14.99 is a better offer than payg basic. You can set your monthly spend limit so you can't spend more than say £16 if your bill is going to go over that when you log on pn divert you to a page where you need to agree to pay more. This way there are not unexpected high bills.

Same applies to PAYG Basic.
if you only use your 2gb allowance or less then you only pay £14.99

If you use less than 2Gb, you still pay for the whole 2Gb though.
I prefer this method of buying extra downloads as if I don't use it I don't pay.

I thought that extra bandwidth had to be purchased in 2Gb lumps. If so, you could end up paying for bandwidth that you don't use.
If I set my monthly limit up front to 4gb and didn't use over 2gb I'd still be paying for 4gb.

Sorry but I don't understand that.
payg 14.99 is better offer than basic IMHO.

PAYG customers who use 2Gb bandwidth pay £14.99 whereas PAYG Basic customers who use 2Gb bandwidth only pay £13.46 Cheesy

Horses for courses :lol:
Community Veteran

with payg there is there are two options.

Option one

Set your monthly download limit upfront.
14.99 for 2gb
17.99 for 6gb

If you set up your package this way you will always pay the set amount per months even if you do not use your paid for total. e.g if you set t up for 17.99 and 6gb included if you use less than 2 gb you still pay for the 6gb Apparently you can only change your monthly payg inclusive download limit once every 30 days.

Option Two

which I only recently found. In the data watch area of my connection you can specifiy exactly what monthly amount you wish to have as a max spend. I have said £16.49 this means that I can spend upto £16.49 over all in month. If I go over the £16.49 then I automatically know as PN will direct me to a webpage advising me I need to up my limit for the month to continue to use the service.

The £16.49 is made up of £14.99 payg with 2gb usage and £1.50 for what I thought was classed as prepay extra bandwidth. Turns out this is classed as post billing and should be £1.80 per 2gb. At this price point I can use 3.76gb before my pricepoint is reached and I'm asked to pay more.

If I had added £1.80 instead of £1.50 then my cap before being alerted to my overspend would be 4gb. Again if I don't use over 2 in a month my bill stays at £14.99

Inconclusion if you rarely go over the 2gb limit then setting a limit via data tracker is probably the way to go as you'll not be paying every month for usage you might or might not make.

If you always use over 2gb then setting your monthly allowance by changing you payg package inclusive limit would probably be the best way to go. Pre pay is also £1.50 per 2gb instead of £1.80 on option two.

Hope that Helps.

A
lingbob
Grafter

I was aware of the Data Transfer Watch facility but I wasn't aware of the "Up Front" feature. I am now though and thanks very much for the explanation.
Community Veteran

It took me afew e-mails to support to understand the features.

gald to help.

A