cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about Plus vs Premier

N/A

Hi

I've been using PlusNet broadband for a while now, and signed up for their special offer in 2004 which costs £19 per month. Now, thinking of switching either to the cheaper Plus account or the more expansive Premier.

Firstly, is it true that the Plus account basically filters out P2P file sharing networks (eg. bittorrent) whereas in the Premier account P2P can be accessed freely and at high speeds?

Secondly, from what i've read, there is no download limit per-say, but the Plus account has a lower priority on certain services, and you are more likely to get told you are using the service "unacceptably" than if signed up to a Premier account?

I use P2P myself, but have recently found that bittorrent and other file sharing networks no longer work, so i would like to switch to a PlusNet account that DOES allow P2P service.

Thanks Smiley
7 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

Basically you are on the ADSL Home Surf account at £18.99/month which was always designed to block P2P Networks and Binary Newsgroups.

Plusnet have recently advanced their blocking techniques, which is why you have been using Bit Torrent fine previously, and have recently found it is being blocked.

Both Plus and Premier allow the use of P2P, but Broadband Plus restricts it by slowing it down at peak times. Premier allows a full, clean connection with no restrictions applied to any internet traffic.

So, if you're wanting to use P2P, then I would recommend Premier.
N/A

You have pretty much got the details correct, aside from one small point.

Secondly, from what i've read, there is no download limit per-say, but the Plus account has a lower priority on certain services, and you are more likely to get told you are using the service "unacceptably" than if signed up to a Premier account?

You won't be told your using the service unacceptably on the Broadband Plus package.

It is designed such that the lower priority traffic is slowed down during busy periods, so that you can't affect the rest of the service. AKA, it won't allow you to get to a position where it is unacceptable, by reducing your speeds to make it as such.
N/A

Wow, thanks for the fast replies! I'm not sure which i'll choose yet, (costs lol) but at least i know i can go for either and be happy with the service! Smiley

Excellent support forum btw guys, never had queries answered so quick Wink
LiamM
Grafter

From Home Surf to Premier would be a free upgrade. If you wanted to try out Plus, this would cost £14.99 for the downgrade, but you could then upgrade to Premier for free.
N/A

Free upgrade? I thought premier (£22) was more expensive than the homesurf option. (£19)
LiamM
Grafter

It is. Hence you will not be charged to change your package from Home Surf (£18.99/month) to Premier (£21.99/month).

But if you wanted to move to Plus, you would have to pay a £14.99 'Admin Fee' for the Downgrade.

Once you are on Plus, however, an upgrade to Premier would then be free also. As this would be an upgrade.

You with me?
N/A

Ah thanks, i see now. Smiley