Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question re: Migration

xblade
Grafter

Hi
Could anyone tell me when it is best to ask for a MAC code, so not to run into another billing period?

Have now decided to leave after 3 years and am thinking of joining UKfsn

Thanks for any advice
simon
21 REPLIES
Community Veteran

The day before your next billing date.
N/A

Indeed,

As Peter has said the best time is to ask the day before your next billing date. Dont forget that when you use the mac code and have migrated you will need to let PlusNet know that the migration is complete as BT sometimes are a little slow (if they bother at all) in doing this, and by not telling them you run the risk of possibly being charged for another month when its not needed.
N/A

Although PN will refund this later on if you let them know what's happened.

Still best to inform PN as it happens though, save everyone hassle.
Neil_A
Grafter

Re: Question re: Migration

Hi
Have now decided to leave after 3 years and am thinking of joining UKfsn

Hi Simon,

Sorry you've decided to leave. Is there anything in particular that's that we've done wrong? Anything we could do to change your mind?
xblade
Grafter

Hi
Thanks for all your replies
I thought that would be the the correct course of action, but thanks for confirming it for me

Neil, I think it is unfortunate that I feel it is now time to leave. I have felt dissatisfied with the general broadband experience with Plusnet. ie speed issues, customer support, email problems and other 'niggles', for quite a while

I have stayed around for 3 years now, but am now moving; or hopefully in next month. I am deciding to move for better value, speed and hopefully where more customers are generally happier

I must say that when I first joined plusnet, I was extremely pleased with the company, but I think things have gone down hill since those days, although I know some have tried to improve things, which kept me around for another year

Thanks again Peter, Tom and all those who have given much needed help and support. Your expertise and friendliness have been greatly appreciated

Al the best
Simon
James
Grafter

Hi Simon,

It's a shame to hear you say that. I'd maintain that we're well into turning the corner. Email is stable, especially with the implementation of the new kit that Bob's spoken about in a different thread. We've added more capacity, addressing speed issues that customers have been seeing. We added more staff to the CSC and the average call times have probably half in the last 6 months, if not more.

As I've said, it'll be sad to see you leave, but I'll maintain that it's only going to get better here.
dennisb66
Grafter

Hi Simon,30GB allowance on Peak Usage plus 300GB Offpeak sounds great for £19.99,but i hope you have noticed that UKFSN Peak Time is 0800 to 2200hrs. Cry
N/A

dennisb66,

Indeed it is 8AM till 10PM peak time. But on the flip side off peak is from 10PM Friday until 8AM Mondays and then between 10PM and 8AM between Monday and Friday.

Anyhow enough of that, I should know better than most that discussing matters of a different ISP is not permitted int he support boards.

All I can say is, Simon which ever cause of action you choose I hope you feel better for it and I hope you find a deal thats right for you. Ultimately there is nothing stopping anyone coming back to Plusnet should the grass on the other side prove not to be greener.
dennisb66
Grafter

oops hadn't noticed the long weekend Wink
xblade
Grafter

thanks again
I had noticed the peak and off peak allowance

My pings have not been good and being on PAYGo account, this is not good when gaming, especially when the ememy still stands after shooting them 6 times!!!

I hear what you say James, but issues are still affecting many customers and I have am seeing better speeds and value elsewhere
Simon
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Is it a specific game that's affected or pings in general? If a specific game is it listed here:

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=52984

If it's pings in general do you interleaving enabled on the line?
xblade
Grafter

Hi Dave

It is COD United Offensive

Pings can be all over the place, which severely affect playing experience

Not sure about interleaving. Do not have enough tech knowledge concerning this feature

Thanks for reply
Simon
chymorva
Grafter

Hi Simon,

Sorry to hear you are leaving.
Are you sure that PN is at fault here ?

I very recently suddenly developed problems with my connection which turned out to be a faulty router.
I am now synched at 8128/448 and have had no connection drops for over a week (previously it dropped every day or so), my DL speed is >6000k with a ping of 22mS (BTW I am on PAYG).

Hope this helps.
N/A

Hi Simon,

I'm surprised that Dave had to ask about the interleave, as I think CS can easily establish if it's enabled or disabled. It's now enabled by default, I believe, and when I asked PN to disable it, it did result in a significant improvement in game responsiveness.

(Basically interleaving is a technique whereby several data packets are sent before their corresponding error correction information is sent. This has the advantage that corruptions are unlikely to affect both the data and the error correction information (because they are far apart), which makes the connection more reliable.
It has the disadvantage that the data has to be buffered until the error correction information is received, so your game doesn't get an individual piece of data as quickly. Hence the high ping rates.)

Anyway, it may be worth checking if interleaving is switched on - usually your router will show an ADSL statistic somewhere saying the mode is either FAST or INTERLEAVED. If it's interleaved, you can ask CS to disable interleaving (and they should then warn you about the possible drop in connection reliability).

Good luck with whatever you choose to do. I've submitted a ticket asking for my MAC too (though no response from CS in the past 24hrs), and I'm looking around at alternatives.

Michael...