cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on usage limits and new web developments

cfcws
Grafter

I will start this off by saying I am a happy customer as the service has mostly been fine. However the new structure leaves me concerned.

It would be useful if PN could publish the kind of services they expect people to be able to use with each product.

I am what I would call a normal user, email, browsing occasonal download of programs or updates. No P2P, usenet, etc. Now I see BB+ has a 5GB limit and I am usually at 3.75.

What I want to know is if, with the new speeds, I start using VOIP, sky by broadband and some of the other mainstream new products will I quickly break the limit?

Will PN develop or recommend a monitor that breaks down my usage between these areas?

Is this limit in place due to a minority downloading the world? If so can they be moved off?

Frankly if I exceed the limit then this product is of little use as there is no use giving me a fast line speed if normal use of it exceeds the cap.
7 REPLIES
lank111
Grafter

good question! Once 8Mbit adsl is rolling out nationwide, IPTV & VOIP will use a shed load of bandwidth,

Shed somelight plusnet! other isp's, have a 'unlimited' package costing a little bit more then the other packages, with this when 8mbit rolls out can provide all iptv and voip and provide simple or premier package on the capped platform, plusnet has capped everything, monitoring it and limiting you on what you do.

i say this because a few weeks back, i was so close to asking for a mac because the traffic monitoring system was making everything time out!
Now its just my FTP (6 kbps max - from full rate)
and im not and never been a hardcore downloader, my monthly bandwidth is only 4 -8 gb, i never download in peak times and my bandwidth for peak & off peak times are fine! but +Net still monitor my connection!

IPTV has started to roll out online like the new BBC Service, ITVlocal and blueyonder! this will eat at my bandwidth!

What do to? but to move 2 a unlimited provider!
Ben_Brown
Grafter

One of the main reasons for traffic management is to enable us to provide these sort of services to a high quality, even at busy times.

As the speeds get faster and faster this is even more important.
cfcws
Grafter

I accept the traffic management issue but that does not answer my questions.

What do you see the 'normal' user of BB+ using across the web?
N/A

As you have already pointed out, the peak time limit is curreently 5GB on BB+ , the off peak limit is currently 50GB.

These figures are subject to change should the need or possibility arise ( as far as I understand by previous emails ). Basically when BT drop their prices Plusnet are able to reward its customers with higher allowances.

As far as downloading goes, I think you know the rap sheet by now, now usenet, P2P during peak hours ( well at reduced rates anyway ). I think FTP has been placed on a higher priority though which in turn counts towards your 5GB.

Regards,
cfcws
Grafter

Is this the wrong place to ask the questions in my original message as I have had no response to any of them
lank111
Grafter

Re: Question on usage limits and new web developments

with the new speeds, I start using VOIP, sky by broadband and some of the other mainstream new products will I quickly break the limit?

At the moment, you will need to watch your bandwidth usage day by day (if you use voip and IPTV all the time) +Net will sort out this soon and these services should be excluded out of the usage or this usage increased!.

Will PN develop or recommend a monitor that breaks down my usage between these areas?

Yes they prob will! not sure when.

Is this limit in place due to a minority downloading the world? If so can they be moved off?

No the network management is there to manage traffic at peak times, this will make http,voip and iptv traffic top priority! over time plusnet will have to install more pipes and peers or bottom of the barrel stuff like FTP & P2P will die! (like it has now - dus to teethin probs)
shellsong
Grafter

Your 3.75GB usage almost exactly mirrors the recently quoted average measured for BB+ users