cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on peak times/limits (no flaming +net plz)

N/A

Ok, not a bad word about plusnet from me in this post or anyone else please, just need someone (or a few) to help me clarify some stuff. Smiley
First of all, im on a 512kbps service (+net Premier (upto 2MB) service that is), and before you ask I cant get any higher because BT wired my entire estate wrong Tongue

1. Looking around on the forums doesnt give a straight answer on peak-time usage, unless you have time to read every post. I will get a warning sent to me once I use over 100GB anytime OR over 30GB during peak hours - those are monthly limits, correct? And the current peak times are from 4pm to midnight, though these are changing I gather. So what will be the future peak times and when will they be brought in?

2. Speed limits are brought in once you go over that 100GB or 30GB counter I guess? So how do the different levels work, when are they enforced, when do they change? Cause I cant find where it says how you get put onto a different level - they just appear outta nowhere! Also, according to this, im basically already on level 1 Tongue Does anyone know how that system works with me as im already at my max of 512?

I only ask because I have a large-ish torrent I need to get done before the end of the month and with the limits on peak time, I dont want to gimp my puny speed even further, lol! To me, peak time to me 9am to 9pm. How its 4pm to 12am is kinda odd, but it is the internet and isnt so conventional like phone calls or anything Smiley

Honestly, to make it easier, Plusnet should just intergrate the previous link I gave and SUP into one page, with the 'Select your Product' thing to show you exactly how your package works in the system. Im guessing this question has been asked before on here, so would help imo! Cheesy
14 REPLIES
N/A

Hi there,

have a look at this page from the UserGroup website

http://usergroup.plus.net/sup_calc.php

It should provide the info you need in a clear format.

Post back if you need anything clarified.
N/A

Hi karl25,

Sorry to hear about your estate. Although only BT could manage something as clever as that.

1. Looking around on the forums doesnt give a straight answer on peak-time usage, unless you have time to read every post. I will get a warning sent to me once I use over 100GB anytime OR over 30GB during peak hours - those are monthly limits, correct? And the current peak times are from 4pm to midnight, though these are changing I gather. So what will be the future peak times and when will they be brought in?

You are correct in the most part. 30GB peak OR 100GB total /Month is the SUP. The peak times for the SUP are and will remain at 4PM till midnight.

You have got 2 different limits mixed up in the understanding there.
There is a "Clean To" allowance of 20GB per month ( peak hours 8AM till midnight ) which you can use. Once you get to the limit you will be slowed down to each appropriate level.

So in answer to 2.

once you reach 20GB you get put on level1 = 512
once you reach 25GB you go to level 2 = 256
once you reach 30GB you go to level 3 = 128
once you reach 35GB you go to level 4 = 64

Bear in mind that if you break the SUP twice in any ( was it 6 month period ?? ) you will be sent a warning email about your usage with being restricted for the rest of the month during peak on your third breach.
If you then breach your SUP again you are managed 24/7 with no hope of coming off it.

So in plain english DONT BREACH THE SUP but feel free to breach the Clean To allowance.

Regards,
N/A

Perfect! Cheesy I hope that stays updated with the changes to different packages.

So whats the changes to the peak times about? From randomly picking some threads on the forums, I have counted 4 different peak times mentioned to replace the current times - which is correct?
N/A

The peak times for the SUP are and will remain at 4PM till midnight.

Ah, that answers the peak times issue. Thanks Cheesy
N/A

So as you are on 512kbps you get effectivly 25GB clean allowance on P2P as level 1 mangement would not actually affect you in the slightest because you couldn't go over 512kbps anyway lol.
N/A

Peak times for all protocols will revert to 4pm to Midnight once the new automation kicks in around March.

Peak for BB+ will remain at 0800 to Midnight and untill the automation Peak for P2P/FTP?Usenet etc in the clean to allowances will remain at 0800 to midnight.

Come march things will or should be less complicated.
N/A

mttjocy,

Yup. But no ISP Bashing now for unfairness in others getting a higher Clean To allowance than you... :lol:
N/A

tomspecs, Bashing? If I wanted to do that I would have been more fair and said I get 30 as even when not exceeding it I am not allowed over 7kB/s during peak times anyway somehow :lol:, but this has been mentioned in many other threads so lets not have yet another one :shock:
N/A

lol! Yeah, upto 25GB for me, arent I lucky? Tongue

I paid Plusnet just a few weeks back for 1MB upgrade, tho BT wouldnt cause im 1db over the limit Sad Damn...
What makes it worse is that im under 2km from the exchange, lol! Maybe wireless will come to my area someday... :x
N/A

Thats pure nasty from BT.

I know my straight line distance is 1.38 KM to the exchange. Im currently trying to locate my SNR to see what sort of speed I could possibly be expecting when BT finally upgrade everyone to 8MB.
shellsong
Grafter

Actually the peak times are based on when most customers access the internet (surprise, surprise)!
If everyone decided they were going to do all their surfing and stuff between 11 pm and 8.30 am PlusNet would make their definition of peak fit that period. Wink
N/A

Yup, that is true, because unlike phones (usually 8am-6pm) which take the biggest hit from business usage rarther than home usage the internet turned that on its head as the heavy users tend to be home users hitting their P2P, thus peak from 4pm when most children getting home from school, closely followed by everyone else returning from work between 5pm and 6pm to 12pm when most people have gone to bed.
N/A

tomspecs, Bashing? If I wanted to do that I would have been more fair and said I get 30 as even when not exceeding it I am not allowed over 7kB/s during peak times anyway somehow :lol:, but this has been mentioned in many other threads so lets not have yet another one :shock:

mttjocy,

Fancy changing my name lol. I wear specs btw which sort of makes the typo a little more amusing and somewhat hurtfull Smiley lol.

Although how on earth you managed to slip the E in there ill never know lol.

Regards,
N/A

Sorry Sad more that I missread your name forever doing that with people :s