cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for Plusnet Re. BB+ users damage limitation idea

Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Just an idea to help de-gruntle the disgruntled BB+ users knocking around the place.

One suggestion that keeps being bandied around by support is that of upgrading to PAYG or even Premier.

Obviously if a BB+ user tries this upgrade and finds it's either A) Not much of of an improvement (maybe exchange of other Plusnet-unrelated problems), or B) There is no real difference in service quality for their usage plan anyway.

Now, if either of the two points above are an issue, it'll cost the poor sod (or sodette, don't want to be sexist here..) £15 to regrade their service back to BB+.

So, and I bet you can see where this is going now, how about offering these users maybe a months trial of an upgraded service. The service will be billed at the usual service rate, but with the incentive of no £15 regrade fee if they decide that the upgraded service is not to their tastes.

Benefits to Plusnet being, potentially more quids per Gigs of Bandwidth in their coffersand less moans from BB+ users.

Benefit to the users is that of "sucking it and seeing" without being frightened of attracting more fees for having the temerity to try and improve their broadband life.

Well. How about it?
25 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

If you are moving from PAYG with 2GB included (i.e. £14.99 per month) then there shouldn't be a charge to change back to Broadband Plus.

The basic rules on upgrade and downgrade is that if there's a decrease in subscription fee it's a downgrade and a fee is charged if the subscription increases or stays the same then there's no fee (unless there's a BT product change).
Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Cheers Dave, I had already sussed that bit out!

Thing is, I know for myself PAYG 2Mb would probably be unsuitable for my needs, as a lot of my usage is daytime usage which would probably put me over the 2Gb limit with the PAYG allowance being allocated at a different time to the BB+/Prem Off Peak allowance.

I've seen a few posts from another couple of users who would basically end up in the same boat, and I dare say if a few more BB+ users checked out what times they were bandwidth-slurping, they would come to the same conclusion, and that either a more expensive PAYG (with current associated regrade fee) or Premier (as before) may well be the best option before jumping ship.

The main point of my post was that for users who have been noticably affected by all the woes associated with BB+ at the moment, making a peace offering of "try a better/more expensive product, see if the grass is greener" for a month without having to incur the £15 regrade charge if it all goes mammaries verticalus would be seen as quite a good PR move from your behalf, plus the chance to generate a bit more revenue per user if it all works out for them.

Are there any charges incured from BT to yourselves by such a regrade? If not, what have you got to lose?
James
Grafter

We can always look at these on a case by case basis. If you try changing to PAYG/Prem and it clearly doesn't sort out your problems, I'd have no issues waiving the downgrade fee if you were to move back.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

The basic rules on upgrade and downgrade is that if there's a decrease in subscription fee it's a downgrade and a fee is charged if the subscription increases or stays the same then there's no fee (unless there's a BT product change).

Personally, I don't see why this exists at all.

Does the actual admin cost differ (i.e. I am referring to staff time here) depending on whether the new product costs more or less?

If not then what is the basis for this charge and what does it actually cover?
Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Cheers James!

As for myself regrading, I'm waiting to see how thing pan out with the tweaks that were done the other night. Certainly peak time was a lot less painful last night than it has been for a while. I'll bear this in mind for myself and ask for you by name when my next billing period comes around!

Personally, I think Prem Option 1 might be the ticket, less strangled and with a bit more flexibility by way of peak allowance to fiddle with driver downloads and such like whilst her indoors is cooking tea...

Anyway...

Fair enough, I can see where a service upgrade might not benefit some customers more than others. After all if their local exchange is as congested as my chest is at the moment, plus if their phone line has all the electrical conductivity of wet string, no ISP in the world will be able to offer a good service, but by at least giving those customers a chance to try without fear of added fees (above that of the service itself, of course), this can only be seen as a *Good Thing*.

Also, bearing in mind Daves "numerous small issues adding up to one large one" point being valid enough, going to an account that is at less a risk of being Ellacoya'd to death might just be enough to tip the scales in favour of a reasonable, usable, sustained connection.

At worst, you lose a bit of admin time swapping and changing accounts, and the customer with a complex about BT that'll last a lifetime. At best, all the benefits already stated, with the extra one of making the point to some customers that sometimes poor performance is not always purely the fault of the ISP.
N/A

Personally, I think Prem Option 1 might be the ticket, less strangled and with a bit more flexibility by way of peak allowance to fiddle with driver downloads and such like whilst her indoors is cooking tea...

Don't expect too much from Premier 1. On the other hand, it couldn't be any worse than BB+ by the sounds of it!!
Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Don't expect too much from Premier 1. On the other hand, it couldn't be any worse than BB+ by the sounds of it!!

Heh. To be fair, as before, the last set of tweaks seemed to make quite a difference to me, and it was quite tolerable last night. Bit creaky now mind, but I see there is post to that effect regarding excess VPN traffic soaking up the centrals. See how it goes tonight...

With Prem, for my use, if it works as a BB+ "Plus some" account, it'll do the job well enough I expect. I only use p2p on the odd occasion, only text-only usenet, and large downloads are usually HTTP with the odd FTP thrown in for good measure. The main difference will be I'll be less paranoid about ensuring most large downloads are off-peak, and I'll have far less chance of hitting any Level management that I would with the "What will it be this week folks! 2Gb? 3Gb? 4Gb? Who knows! Not even us!" BB+ peak limit.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Does the actual admin cost differ (i.e. I am referring to staff time here) depending on whether the new product costs more or less?

If not then what is the basis for this charge and what does it actually cover?

There is a cost element of changing account types in all cases whether it's an upgrade or a downgrade. The difference is that we have chosen to subsidise the cost of upgrades but not to subsidise the cost of downgrades.
N/A

Dave

Quick question if I may.

Early this evening I changed from Premier 2 to PAYG with 22Gig allowance therefore the price was the same and no regrade fee.However I see that on the Portal under my "Account summary" that the payment that was due approx 22nd of this month has now been replaced with "Next Bill" of 09/03/2007 so I don't get any suprises next month what happens to this months payment..... do I pay it along with the one listed for next month or a pro rata ammount?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

The system calculates the subscription fee based on the base subscription amount when you do an account change.

Therefore it sees you moving from £29.99 to £14.99 and extends and on pro-rata basis moves your billing date based in the difference in subscription fees for the unused period. The bandwidth charges then get added on the following month.
N/A

Therefore it sees you moving from £29.99 to £14.99 and extends and on pro-rata basis moves your billing date based in the difference in subscription fees for the unused period.

Sorry Dave you've lost me a bit there I moved from £29.99 premier 2 to £29.99 PAYG...... so am I right in thinking that as well as the £29.99 montly subscribtion for my PAYG due on the 9th March I will also need to allow for the rest of this months Premier payment from today until the the 9th March?

Thanks for your patience
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

There is a cost element of changing account types in all cases whether it's an upgrade or a downgrade. The difference is that we have chosen to subsidise the cost of upgrades but not to subsidise the cost of downgrades.

Ok, fair enough - but what is actually involved your end? I would have assumed it is a fairly automated process with somebody pushing a button or changing something on a PC.

So say for example it takes a staff member 10 minutes to perform the change (which personally I think is an over estimate, but correct me if I am wrong), then it works out we're paying someone £89.94 an hour.

Seems rather excessive doesn't it?

I'm in the wrong job, wish I earned that kind of money Cheesy
N/A

You need a lot of them to pay for a new car though.

From what I recall from a chat with somebody [who?] there is a bit of work involved, since changing products means a change of billing dates sometimes, and that can bork up the VMBU (more than it is already :shock: ) etc - not sure if I dreamt it though...

I'm a bit surprised too if there is a lot of work overall, especially since PN pride themselves on automation and self-service.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I think nearly all residential to residential account changes are totally automatic.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)