cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about websites...

Marco
Grafter

I'm a BB+ customer of 6months and would like to use my webspace now. I'm a total noob so could you kindly answer a few noob questions

1) Will the co.uk domain I bought stay as the url in the address bar when it's pointed at my PN webspace

2) I'm not botherd about frontpage extensions but what are the other disadvantages of a BB+ webspace as against Premier (in practical terms)

3) Would mates be allowed to download my songs (written by me) from my site?

4) could I just make the whole site and upload via ftp rather than the PN web-builder thingy?

Ta Smiley
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

1) Yes. Any osted domain points automatically to your webspace. You can get it to point to a sub-directory if you wanted via the domain names section on the left.

2) Only 100MB webspace and 100MB./day traffic limit compared to 250MB webspace and 250MB/day traffic allowance for premier.. Also premier has CGI (i.e. PHP) capability and MySQL database for creating dynamic websites.

3) Yes, subject to you not exceeding your daily traffic allowance of 100MB. That does not add up to many songs per day e.g. you could only download 20 5MB MP3s/day or 12 8MB songs / day. SO you will have to be very carefull about the size of the files and how many people download them.

4) Yes and that would be my recommended way to do it.
___oDiN__
Grafter

you can always sign up some payg accounts with various isps and link to the various sites
Marco
Grafter

Thanks - a few further questions...

er...

a) So in 1) you could host several websites? How many?

b) Would it be best to point my domain at a sub-folder in case I want to add others or can I move it to a subfolder later?

c) Is odinrealsm's idea better? because of more traffic allowance presumably?
(does that amount to signing up for several free dial-up payg accounts just for the webspace?

d) Is it free to host my domain and free (at PN end) to move it out again?

e) Can you give me some common examples of what is possible using cgi and mysql please?

f) would I be able to set up a mechanism to buy my tracks (as an experiment)?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

G) IF I decided to upgrade from BB+ to Premier, how long does it take?

H) Also, I'm at end of week One in my BB+ billing cycle would I be upgraded till end of month and start first whole Premier cycle on my current billing date, or would, say, Feb 8 be my new Premier billing date

Thanks
N/A

a) So in 1) you could host several websites? How many?

Well I would have thought as many as you have domains unless there is a limit published I havnt seen.

b) Would it be best to point my domain at a sub-folder in case I want to add others or can I move it to a subfolder later?

Should not be too hard to move it, just a case of copying all the files across to the subfolder instead of the normal folder.

c) Is odinrealsm's idea better? because of more traffic allowance presumably?
(does that amount to signing up for several free dial-up payg accounts just for the webspace?

Probably the free dial-up as thats how most ISP's give out their webspace, but that is often with low limits anyway and you would have to come up with some way to load balance onto them, an ugly solution.

d) Is it free to host my domain and free (at PN end) to move it out again?

I'll leave this to someone else, I don't know.

e) Can you give me some common examples of what is possible using cgi and mysql please?

Your looking at one, things like forums, guestbooks, blogs, or other dynamic pages really.

f) would I be able to set up a mechanism to buy my tracks (as an experiment)?

This is a perfect example of what you could use the CGI abilities for if you wanted to, set up some CGI script to use paypal or some other online transaction processing place to take a payment then either grant access or send the user a unique download link for them once payment confirms.
Marco
Grafter

Thanks very much mttjocy Smiley

d) G) and H) anyone?

Thanks
N/A

Sorry, I missed H, but I think your billing date will be constant, you will just be charged pro rata from the time your new package is active untill your next billing date so would be like for example 6 days away in a 30 day month would add (£21.99-£14.99)*(6/30) = £1.40 to your bill to cover those 6 days.
Community Veteran

a) BB+ can only host a single domain for free. You can host a second for £1/month and each additional domain over 2 costs about £25/year. Premier can host upto 5 for free + the £1/month domain.

b) The limit of 2 domains on BB+ may mean you will only ever have one so putting it in a separate directory may be moot.

c) The free dialup paygo accounts have a max webspace of 25Megs and a max daily transfer limit of 25MB. You do have to keep the accounts active via accessing email once within a 90 day period.

d) See my answer to a. Any domain you transfered in can be moved out for free. If you register a domain through PN it will cost you if you trabsfer it out before 12 months are completed.

e) Where to start - forums, dynamic web sites, blogs, picture galleries and many many more.

f) Not sure what you mean here. If you mean people buying your music from your website, probably not as you require a secure server for payments and the ccgi / www does not have a secure access feature. You could use paypals or worldpays servers for the transaction.

g) The upgrade takes no more than a day once all payments have been made.

h) answered above
Marco
Grafter

You can't sleep either then Peter? :shock: :roll:

How would a) be answered if we were talking Premier rather than BB+ ?
Please point out anything else that would be different

Thankyou and goodnight...hopefully Cry
Community Veteran

I'm watching the superbowl...

Read answer a again as I have already answered that Q.

For full details of the product differences see here.
Marco
Grafter

'scuse me - my brain was fried
And thanks for all the information Smiley