cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about slow speeds on Bitorrent P2P,,

suec45
Grafter

After some testing and initial confusion of why test torrents would max out at 200k yet most other torrents would be slow. (10-30k max) I thought I would investigate it further

I downloaded direct connect (p2p) and did some tests with some friends in the UK and abroad, I found out that although I could download fast from people in the UK, people from the US and abroad speeds were very poor, a lot worse than my previous ISPs. One person in the US who a used to get 50k from, I could barely get 10k.

Is it possible that just BT/P2P traffic from abroad is being badly shaped? This would explain why test torrents with a lot of UK connections were fast, but torrents from all over the world were awful (I never seem to get over 30k on 'normal' torrents yet test torrents are fast)

I am not 100% sure on this, so if anyone can shed any light on whether this is right or wrong, it would help a lot.

Of course it could be that Im just using bad torrents.

I'm on Broadband Premier , usually dling off peak.

PS .Oh and by the way, what the hell is going on with the ADSL bandwidth graph?? its got flatlines all over the place, is that traffic shaping at work? Maybe I just picked a bad day to test?
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

The bandwith graph is knackerd at the moment, apparently a new set of graphs are on the way from plus.
N/A

That is a really good thought. I too ran the test and peaked out around 217kbs, and have been sitting here thinking 'why?'. I have run the same torrents in my office, with the same laptop but on my work network, which runs via a Zen 1mb home connection (50:1) and they run faster than when I'm on +net.

Top thinking.
Alecto
Grafter

I always get good speeds from UKNova - presumably most of the seeders there are in the UK, but that test torrent I gave you is in Germany, I believe.
N/A

Is it possible that just BT/P2P traffic from abroad is being badly shaped? This would explain why test torrents with a lot of UK connections were fast, but torrents from all over the world were awful (I never seem to get over 30k on 'normal' torrents yet test torrents are fast)

So is it possible this could be occuring, either via BT or PN?
N/A

intresting thoughts here, but surly.

any outside uk isp's that were throttling there upload speeds, would be noticed by the relevant customers, very much like ourselfs, and they would surly kick up a stink.

i mean we see on our torrents our uploads max out, at whatever we set them at (mine is usually 15/20, as the full 25 can choke the connection all together)

therefore other users on other isp's must be able to see there upload speeds, so how can they seem to be throttling torrents?, i8 just cant see that myself, (just m y opinon mind)

check my post out ,
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?p=213670

ive been doing tests all weekend, and they dont make pretty reading, and its is sooo obvious now something is going off
now they cant hide the fact now and must come clean, either tell us one way or the other.

something must be done, and i will not let this lie, i was gettng better bt download speeds before my upgrade on friday, so you tell me whats happening.
Alecto
Grafter

now they cant hide the fact now and must come clean, either tell us one way or the other.

You think so?Huh
N/A

just tried to join that uknova site you were all talking about and I cant join it says

sorry
This site is not open for public use

whats the score there ?? do you need a invite ?
Alecto
Grafter

They have a limit on the number of people to stop anyone just going in and leeching.
If they're full, you need to try again from time to time as people leave, but if the content isn't of interest to you, there'll be no point I suppose.
This is what they say:

There is a 75.000 users limit. When that number is reached we stop accepting new members. Accounts inactive for more than 42 days are automatically deleted, so keep trying. (There is no reservation or queuing system, don't ask for that.)
suec45
Grafter

I have thought about this some more and realised its a bit daft.

It certainly wouldnt be PN doing it , it would be British Telecom , I think?

Still, I cant understand why test torrents are fine yet others seem to have slowed down terribly.

I have been looking for Bitorrent hacks to see if there any out which allow downloading with no upload and have found some, I would NEVER use anything like this but maybe with the emergence of these hacks, it could be the reason that torents are going so slow. They could have been out for ages, I really dont know, but it would explain the terrible speed on public torrents. I totally disagree with these things,

Of course it may be that the torrents are just poor. I use torrents mainly for TV progs I have missed and they arent exactly full of seeders, but then when I find one with 20 seeders and 70 leechers its just as bad. The fact that there are not many seeders shouldnt matter at the start of the torrent as you share with leechers as well of course, so this should really be fast.

I seem to be uploading faster than downloading in tghe past few days which means its getting even worse for me.

Thanks for your replies anyway. Smiley