cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Premier accounts

N/A

Hey guys,

I'm paying £21.99 for a Premier 2MB account. I read that the speed is never capped during peak hours and yet during peak hours, I'm only able to download at less than 512k speeds.

So what's the deal? Should I stick a ticket up?
10 REPLIES
N/A

Torrent I've got is running @ about 16k for one file
N/A

Bittorrent isn't a good way to judge speed as it all depends on the swarm and whether there are lots of folk sharing.
N/A

yeah Torrents are P2P.

I'm downloading from servers from work and I know I can get speeds of 230kb/s download but I'm barely getting 40kb/s.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Before we can investigate any speed problems we will need you to try a few (you've guessed it) BT Speedtests, with at least one at times we know the network to be quiet, between midnight and 7am.

link: BT Speed Test
N/A

Maybe if you turned the capping machinbe off, we would be able to get decent speeds, nevermind this speed test bullshit
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Well, most speed problems are caused before the connection even gets to our network, at the exchange.

The BT Speedtest does not use our network at all, so it can be used to eliminate any exchange contention from a speed fault investigation.

If they are getting poor speeds on the BT Speedtest, nothing we do on our network will help this.

Also if we "turned the capping machine" off there will be a traffic free-for-all and many services including VoIP, mail and even HTTP will break down and become totally unusable.
N/A

light another segment then
Ben_Brown
Grafter

If it's a BT fault or contention at the exchange we could light all the segments in the world and it would not make any difference at all.
N/A

Also if we "turned the capping machine" off there will be a traffic free-for-all and many services including VoIP, mail and even HTTP will break down and become totally unusable.

not if there was enough room on your network they wouldn't
N/A

Yeah but apparently they can’t afford another 1.5 Million to light another Pipe ^_^

I would guess that they would see these bonuses are they lit another pipe:

1. Currently customers being happier at increased speeds due to capping being decreased drastically as the network can now handle its load.
2. Current customers stop migrating away due to PlusNet resolving the capping/throttling issue thus saving money!
3. Some loyal and some new customers returning due to the fixes and changes.
4. Less complaints and stress on the ticket system from people wondering why their product which they pay for is acting like a cheap second rate service.

Well thats my opinion and my feedback.

- Currently downloading @ 15kbs on a 1300 Seeded Torrent Arent I lucky.