cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about PN and BBCs IMP

Community Veteran

Just wondering where BBCs Interactive media Player will be on PNs SUP when it gets launched as it uses P2P to distribute the programmes.

iMP is an application in development offering UK viewers the chance to catch up on TV and radio programmes they may have missed for up to seven days after they have been broadcast, using the internet to legally download programmes to their home computers. iMP uses peer to peer distribution technology (P2P) to legally distribute these programmes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/imp
22 REPLIES
N/A

Yes, the beeb is using p2p for imp then who are plus net to stop/ restrict them?
Plus net seem to think that p2p is bad then they best speak to the bbc! Its the future! a few other broadcasters are looking in to this as well.

Looks like plusnet dont want to be involved in this
N/A

Good question. I am gonna wanna watch my topgear shows and if BB= restricts me from this i am going to be mighty peeved
Community Veteran

just wondering if any of the plusnet team are up for commenting on the above question.

Thanks!
Ben_Brown
Grafter

We can identify different p2p applications, not just whether something is p2p or not. Using this information we can give things like the BBC's IMP a better priority than "normal" p2p.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

And in the same way you can hit certain P2P applications harder. Is this being done
Ben_Brown
Grafter

In theory, yes but we don't do this AFAIK
Community Veteran

I am very glad to hear this as it seems like this could be a very good service when it is launched next year!
N/A

We can identify different p2p applications, not just whether something is p2p or not. Using this information we can give things like the BBC's IMP a better priority than "normal" p2p.
(my emphasis)

can = will?

regards

Stuart
kreynolds
Grafter

Will +Net throttle sky by broadband which I believe will be using Kontiki P2P?
JonathanW
Grafter

Hi,

The answer is going to be similar to the one given for whether or not we'll throttle the BBC p2p offering. It all depends on how popular the services turn out to be, but we certainly have the ability to ensure that the traffic is delivered in a timely fashion.
JJ
Grafter

Jon,

That reply will get you some flack !

So Plusnet is going to restrict the use of popular legitimate broadband services !!!

John H
JonathanW
Grafter

No, that's not quite what I said. If the service is popular enough, then we will obviously look into making it run smoothly over our network as much as we can.
N/A

So Plusnet is going to restrict the use of popular legitimate broadband services !!!
(my emphasis)

To be fair, as things stand Jon didn't say which way the popularity would affect the support of the protocol Wink

regards

Stuart
N/A

So will BB+ get this at full speed thenHuh Or am i only gonna see rates of 1KBps